Any last words?

Marquis Mark

Here we go... I'm scheduled with Dr. Belzberg on Thursday, Dec. 10. Revision from stretched sleeve to DS. Met with him today. I think he'll do a good job.

Still I'm nervous, hopeful, scared, optimistic, cynical, relived and self-questioning. Am I nuts?

Got $400 worth of supplements and a 31-day/ 4x day pill organizer ready to go.

Been trying to bring up my iron, protein, D and calcium for the last 7 weeks in preparation.

Got my spreadsheet all filled in. Got base levels on all the critical vitamins/tests.

Asked a lot of questions. Got a lot of answers (thank you Pam, Larra, Scott, Diane, SouthernLady and everyone else I'm surely forgetting). I think I'm as informed as anyone can be.

Oh, man, this is nerve wracking....

Any last words?

Sounds like you have gotten all your ducks in a row, but more importantly than getting protein and vitamins immediately post op, is staying hydrated. That was the hardest for me, and I often read from new post ops that are dehydrated and some need IV help to get back on track. Just keep sipping.

As far as being nervous, hopeful, scared, optimistic, cynical, relived, self-questioning and wondering if your nuts, it all sounds perfectly normal. Sounds like your going to do great.

I wouldn't even CONSIDER taking vites for the first month, especially with a resleeve. Just worry about hydration as Bearmom said. Good luck!

Best of luck too you and see you on the other side, soon. Agreed with the ladies....all your feelings are normal and hyrdration is going to be your main concern for a while.

Yahoo! You are totally ready for this, Mark. As said above, hydration is your priority. I am so excited for you and we will all be waiting for you on the Loser's Bench! You've got this.

I agree with the hydration being priority. I was close to two months out before I was able to tackle vitamins. Don't push that too soon and when you do start, start slow and easy, like just the multi for a few days.

Still I'm nervous, hopeful, scared, optimistic, cynical, relived and self-questioning. Am I nuts?
No, you aren't nuts. You are absolutely normal in these feelings.

Thanks all. Speaking of hydration, what do you guys think of Powerade Zero or Gatorade G2? They have salts and potassium, I think. Or do you just do straight water, tea? Or?

I don't think it matters. Many can't tolerate water but that and decaf tea was about all I could manage. The sugar in Gatorade (which they gave me in the hospital) gave me terrible gas.

I couldn't quite fathom what all the fuss was about hydration -- just swallow water, right? Not so simple. In the first week I couldn't swallow more than would barely moisten my lips. It was really annoying to have to sip constantly. But hang in there. Three weeks out and I can swallow a normal amount.

Good luck to you!

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date! You're prepared and will do well. I can only echo what everyone else has said about hydration being the key!

Thanks all. Speaking of hydration, what do you guys think of Powerade Zero or Gatorade G2? They have salts and potassium, I think. Or do you just do straight water, tea? Or?
I bought a bunch of them pre-op, as well as 'Isopure Protein' drinks, and couldn't stand any of them post-op (I'll be 2 months out on Monday and still can't tolerate anything sweet). Your tastes will likely change so my recommendation would be not to stock up too much on any one thing, even if you love it now. Plain water was incredibly difficult in the beginning but it's fine now. The first few weeks, I would have been in serious trouble without homemade bone broth and weak fennel and ginger tea. YMMV... The best drink is the one you can get down. Good luck!

Powerade Zero worked for me, but we are all so different. Just don't stock up until you know what works for you, and even then, your tastes will change. I wouldn't try anything with any sugar for sure. Broth felt good in my tummy early out.

You may need to try different waters, different temperatures, etc to see what works for you. I love water and thought this would be easy. Boy was I wrong! It's tough at first. I found room temp worked best, and that the Costco brand (Kirkland or whatever) tasted metallic, which it never had before. I had to switch to a different brand, and that helped a lot. Some people recommend tea with a little ginger. Be ready to experiment.

You have done a great job educating yourself so you could make an informed decision. I think you will do great with your DS.

I drank whatever I could handle. Tea was my go to or lemonade (homemade) but the important part is to DRINK!

Good luck and in the beginning...just drink. Doesn't matter too much what. And don't worry about protein and vites. Just drink.

Latest posts

Back