New DSer Questions- Sorry so long!

Justme222

Officially a DSer. Surgery 3/23/21
I have been on these boards for months now and have read most of them. I promise I truly have a good grasp on the long term expectations and responsibilities. The questions I have are mostly here and now questions that I have not been able to find answers to.
  1. History:- I was a SMO person who thought because I had no health problems and came from a gene pool of long livers that my weight was not a problem. High weight Nov 2020, 306... I'm 5'3". First health issue to pop up was a torn miniscus playing in a wave pool with my grandson. MRI revealed arthritis w/ bone on bone and a new knee in my future. I did the PT and over time it healed. I used to scuba dive, hike, bowl, camp.... , but the weight really started to weigh me down and was preventing me from doing as much. Then came mild high BP. Nothing too bad 150/80 range. I always had very low 120/70. This resulted in first RX. Then came pre diabetes A1C of 6.0 and add metformin to the repertoire. I had already been on 50,000 IU weekly vit D for years trying to figure out the fatigue and constant tiredness. Maybe it was the extra 170 lbs. the next fun symptom was my feet hurt. Not the bottom like heel spurs. I had those before. This was the top of my feet and it hurt to touch them. Again totally explained by the weight to which I was in denial was that big a problem. I had decided I had enough and did not want to live like this anymore. I hated taking medications. Not that I hate taking pills, but it just is Nat natural to put so many chemicals in your body. My Dr. Asked if I had ever considered WLS and I was kind of surprised. We have Tricare Prime and my Dr. Is at the Navy base. I always thought this was elective surgery and not coverd. He said that had changed in recent years and I was a candidate, if I wanted a referral he would give me one. He was very encouraging and said it was very rare he caught people in the pre diabetic stage and could help. Most of the time people were already very sick. The doctor I got referred to is one of the only ones that had DS on their website. I thoroughly researched all of the procedures and determined the DS was tree only option for me.
  2. Surgery:- my first appointment with my surgeon was Dec 7, 2020 and I had already quit drinking diet coke and lost 6 lbs. I told him I wanted the DS and he said we will make a decision after my endoscope. I had to meet with the dietician, psyche eval, endoscope and have 3 weight management visits. I got the endo done Dec 23rd. Had met all requirements except the visits by mid Jan. I am very determined once I get something in my head. The next to last apt. Before my surgery we discussed what procedure we were going to do. He suggested bypass. I told him absolutely not an option and that I wanted DS he said he would be happy to try for DS, but because I had my gall bladder out almost 20 years ago there might be scar tissue that would prevent him from doing the DS. I told him if he got in there and could not do the DS I did not want just a sleeve as a back up. I know too many people who have regained and I would be devastated of I regained. I have lost and regained my whole life and hate the disappointment from well meaning friends and family who say you were doing so good what happened? I want to lash out and say I ate 1 carbohydrate and gained 5lbs. Lol. He thought rejecting the sleeve was a bad idea, but would repair the hiatal hernia I had and that would be all. I could tell he was not happy with this decision. Up to surgery time I was able to lose 44lbs on my own with shakes and low carb food choices. March 23, 2021 I had my surgery. A large hiatal hernia repair and DS. My doctor was not happy because I specifically stated I only wanted DS and I conveyed it in pre surgery to the surgical nurse and anesthesiologists so there was no miss understanding. I got the surgery I wanted.
  3. Post-Op:- I am 12 days past surgery and recovering okay. I still can't sleep on bed very well, but it is getting better. My fasting blood sugar is 98 and BP is 120/65. I haven't taken any meds since tyre Thursday before surgery. Everything checked out fine at my post op apt and the Dr. Wants to see me back at the 3 month mark.
  4. Im a DSer now what?:- So I know all the rules and expectations long term, but need some help getting there. So far I have been able to get my 64oz of water in most days, but now that I'm adding food it is a bit harder. Has anyone else experienced hiatal hernia surgery with the DS? I would love to hear your experience. This surgery has made it way harder to comply with the DS stuff. Swallowing is difficult and you feel like anything you swallow swells as it goes down no matter how small of a sip or bite it is. My Dr. Had me on full liquids until my post op apt. Which was day 8. I tried one SF popsicle but didn't like it had a couple SF Jello's , but meh not impressed and tried broth, but it tasted awful to me. I tried bullion and it was better. I had not realized my husband made me Swanson cooking broth. Yuck! So basically my first week was sipping water and getting rid of gas bubbles. I don't understand why they want me eating SF stuff with artificial sweeteners anyway. Which brings me to a question why do dieticians push the artificial sweeteners? Especially since the sugar alcohols react so badly with us. I am in the process of adding foods and am doing okay I think. So far nothing had made me sick. I am up to soft foods. I kind of blew through the pureed stuff because it was stuff we should not have like the dietician sheet listed mashed potatoes. Really? So my questions are.... As long as I am not getting sick from food. And chewing very thoroughly is it okay to be eating scrambled eggs with some veggies, roast beef and cheese meat roll, and hamburger cooked with cheese? I don't want to push eating real food, but want to get my diet up to speed. Next question is how long should I give myself to be getting in my protein daily? Obviously I am not going to be able to eat enough right now, but what should I set as a goal to be up to full protein daily?
  5. Vitamins:- I started taking vitamins after my post op apt. I am starting with the bariatric advantage chewable multi vitamins for now. I have read allot on this site about the vitamins. Are the bariatric advantage ones not used because of cost or effectiveness? I want to wait to add pill forms of vitamins until I am fully healed and on a full diet. So get my food on point then go back and tweak vitamins later. Just do the chewable ones in the interim. What do you think about this strategy?
  6. :- I am still mostly having Diarrhea
  7. , but I just started eating more solid foods so I am sure that will work out. I have even had a few finger shaped turds. Yeah me. none of the Diarrhea is unmanageable or violent so it's fine. So for the question..... I knew about the bad smell and yes it is bad, but does it get worse or better once you get everything running and eating full solid meals? Can't imagine it getting worse.
I am so sorry for this epic post and if you made it to the end thank you. I really just kind of need some help getting from newbie to veteran. Everyone have a very happy Easter. All advise to get me up to taking in all the required protein and vitamins is greatly appreciated.

1. Im a DSer now what?:- So I know all the rules and expectations long term, but need some help getting there. So far I have been able to get my 64oz of water in most days, but now that I'm adding food it is a bit harder. Has anyone else experienced hiatal hernia surgery with the DS? I would love to hear your experience. This surgery has made it way harder to comply with the DS stuff. Swallowing is difficult and you feel like anything you swallow swells as it goes down no matter how small of a sip or bite it is. My Dr. Had me on full liquids until my post op apt. Which was day 8. I tried one SF popsicle but didn't like it had a couple SF Jello's , but meh not impressed and tried broth, but it tasted awful to me. I tried bullion and it was better. I had not realized my husband made me Swanson cooking broth. Yuck! So basically my first week was sipping water and getting rid of gas bubbles. I don't understand why they want me eating SF stuff with artificial sweeteners anyway. Which brings me to a question why do dieticians push the artificial sweeteners? Especially since the sugar alcohols react so badly with us. I am in the process of adding foods and am doing okay I think. So far nothing had made me sick. I am up to soft foods. I kind of blew through the pureed stuff because it was stuff we should not have like the dietician sheet listed mashed potatoes. Really? So my questions are.... As long as I am not getting sick from food. And chewing very thoroughly is it okay to be eating scrambled eggs with some veggies, roast beef and cheese meat roll, and hamburger cooked with cheese? I don't want to push eating real food, but want to get my diet up to speed. Next question is how long should I give myself to be getting in my protein daily? Obviously I am not going to be able to eat enough right now, but what should I set as a goal to be up to full protein daily?
I’m one of the few who does not use any sugar substitute any more. I switched about 4 years ago but I do severely limit my intake of table sugar. I use table sugar and honey to sweeten stuff and my weight is stable.
At 12 days, still a bit early for most of what you listed. Try soft foods first. Things like eggs, scrambled or mashed up hard boiled with full fat mayonnaise. Or tuna with mayonnaise, shrimp dipped in butter...think very soft normal foods.
Hamburgers, roast beef, veggies can all wait for now. In fact when are on regular food, make sure you get 30 grams of protein in fist before bothering with veggies. Gotta crawl before you can walk.
Vitamins:- I started taking vitamins after my post op apt. I am starting with the bariatric advantage chewable multi vitamins for now. I have read allot on this site about the vitamins. Are the bariatric advantage ones not used because of cost or effectiveness? I want to wait to add pill forms of vitamins until I am fully healed and on a full diet. So get my food on point then go back and tweak vitamins later. Just do the chewable ones in the interim. What do you think about this strategy?
Any vitamin labeled bariatric is not nearly as effective, typically they don’t have enough of what you want and no way to individually adjust what you take. Keep your base to a good solid generic Centrum equivalent such as the Costco Kirkland multi listed on the Vitalady list found here: https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/
I am still mostly having Diarrhea

but I just started eating more solid foods so I am sure that will work out. I have even had a few finger shaped turds. Yeah me. none of the Diarrhea is unmanageable or violent so it's fine. So for the question..... I knew about the bad smell and yes it is bad, but does it get worse or better once you get everything running and eating full solid meals? Can't imagine it getting worse.
I thought I would never get out of the bathroom my first two weeks. Didn’t dare go anywhere. But getting on soft foods changed that.
It can get worse if you eat too many carbs, but as long as you manage that, it’s not terrible. Most DSers deal with constipation not diarrhe. You want your stool to be light brown/tan and kinda fluffy. The smell is also somewhat dependent on what you ingest once healed. Healed means you are past the 8 week mark from surgery.

Thank you for the input. I just don't want to do anything wrong that will jeopardize my health. I have read all the vitalady stuff and know long term what vitamins will look like from reading all the threads, but will the chewable pre packaged ones be sufficient for now until I'm up to speed on all my food and protein intake? Would rather tackle one at a time.

Thank you for the input. I just don't want to do anything wrong that will jeopardize my health. I have read all the vitalady stuff and know long term what vitamins will look like from reading all the threads, but will the chewable pre packaged ones be sufficient for now until I'm up to speed on all my food and protein intake? Would rather tackle one at a time.
I’d stay away from chewables. Most have artificial sweeteners in them which can cause gastric distress. stick to pills or tablets.

Okay. Not thrilled with the fruity flavors anyway. Just was not sure how pills would go with the hiatal hernia surgery.

Making bacon and eggs and hubby asked if I should be eating that yet? I told him I am not really sure anymore. Lol so I grabbed a shake and am going to get 30g of protein in while I figure it out. Dieticians stuff is useless!!! As a soft food should I eat oatmeal? I love oatmeal, but it is not low carb. Not really high protein like meat......

Next question. Mealtimes do most of you eat specific meals or do you just eat a lot of small meals to get all your Nutrition in?

Making bacon and eggs and hubby asked if I should be eating that yet? I told him I am not really sure anymore. Lol so I grabbed a shake and am going to get 30g of protein in while I figure it out. Dieticians stuff is useless!!! As a soft food should I eat oatmeal? I love oatmeal, but it is not low carb. Not really high protein like meat......
The bacon, not yet. The eggs, soft cooked, are okay assuming you can tolerate them. Some can, some can’t. It’s truly a crap shot. With oatmeal or an cereal, not until you’ve reached goal/maintenance and even then, only as a treat.
Next question. Mealtimes do most of you eat specific meals or do you just eat a lot of small meals to get all your Nutrition in?
Depends on the day. I’m more if specific meals but I snack A LOT. Basically I eat an average of every two hours. Not full meals but something like a deviled egg, or some cheese, or a yogurt, etc.

You are doing better than you realize. Just stick with small portions of soft foods and when you get than sense of fullness, stop immediately. Even one extra bite can make you vomit. I never even tried a sugar free popsicle and the sugar free jello was sickening. Even the dog wouldn't touch it.
I use Bariatric Advantage calcium because I just can't swallow huge pills, but take pills and/or capsules for everything else. I agree with southernlady to work on protein first, once you have that going you can work on adding more and more pills. And forget veggies until you are doing better with protein.
But really, you got your DS, you are doing fine, it will get better day by day.

You are doing better than you realize. Just stick with small portions of soft foods and when you get than sense of fullness, stop immediately. Even one extra bite can make you vomit. I never even tried a sugar free popsicle and the sugar free jello was sickening. Even the dog wouldn't touch it.
I use Bariatric Advantage calcium because I just can't swallow huge pills, but take pills and/or capsules for everything else. I agree with southernlady to work on protein first, once you have that going you can work on adding more and more pills. And forget veggies until you are doing better with protein.
But really, you got your DS, you are doing fine, it will get better day by day.
Thank you Larra. I appreciate yours and southern lady's input. Just so we are all clear guys I was talking about a few cut up veggies in my eggs because I like them better than plain eggs. I'm not really adding veggies yet. I am so looking forward to being past this post surgery phase.

Thank you Larra. I appreciate yours and southern lady's input. Just so we are all clear guys I was talking about a few cut up veggies in my eggs because I like them better than plain eggs. I'm not really adding veggies yet. I am so looking forward to being past this post surgery phase.
Just don’t add more than one new veggie at a time. That way, if something disagrees with you, you know what it is. My favorite add ons are mushrooms and asparagus

You have gotten great advice so far and I want to add that I find using the Wyler’s to go packets in water easier to get all my liquids in. My dietician recommended diet juice mixed with a lot of water in the very beginning if I found I couldn’t get my water in. Something about it makes it slide down my throat and belly better. I could get more fluids in which was so hard in the beginning.

I do try to get 64 ounces of water but I still need more fluids than that so I drink the Wyler’s peach tea packets and it helps me. This particular sweetener doesn’t bother me. Sorbitol, malitol and maltodextrin does though. You won’t know until you try them if it’ll work for you, if you even want to try them. I was pretty anti-fake sugar before but now it’s not so bad and sugar is too much for me sometimes!

You have gotten great advice so far and I want to add that I find using the Wyler’s to go packets in water easier to get all my liquids in. My dietician recommended diet juice mixed with a lot of water in the very beginning if I found I couldn’t get my water in. Something about it makes it slide down my throat and belly better. I could get more fluids in which was so hard in the beginning.

I do try to get 64 ounces of water but I still need more fluids than that so I drink the Wyler’s peach tea packets and it helps me. This particular sweetener doesn’t bother me. Sorbitol, malitol and maltodextrin does though. You won’t know until you try them if it’ll work for you, if you even want to try them. I was pretty anti-fake sugar before but now it’s not so bad and sugar is too much for me sometimes!
Thank you! You guys have been great. I am still hoping someone who had a hiatal hernia repair will offer advice. I think that part is worse than the DS.

I hated 3 meals a day. That was one of the hardest things for me to get used to postop bc I'd always eaten whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. However, I do eat 3 meals a day since my DS. But...I also eat a lot of other times. I eat protein every few hours, if I want it. That's one of the great things about the DS.

Thank you! You guys have been great. I am still hoping someone who had a hiatal hernia repair will offer advice. I think that part is worse than the DS.
well, it might depend. I had a hiatal hernia repair with my VSG and it was nothing. why do you think that it will be bad?

but I'm sure I've given myself another hernia since then, dammit.

Latest posts

Back