I have Covid

JackieOnLine

Staff member
got it at work, when Thursday morning the facility was notified one of the patients we got from the local hospital over a week ago, had been exposed. they tested her and she came up positive as did myself, one other employee and 5 other residents.

I'd worked with her closely in her room, unlike the PTA (who tested negative) who would take her down to the gym and also wasn't seeing her every day.

so far as I know, I am the only one who is sick. I'd had a sinus headache that morning that I thought was allergies but by the time they sent me home I was starting to feel not great, and by noon I had a fever of 100.7.

this is only day three but just like I'd irrationally felt safe because of being vaxxed (and all the patients test negative before we admit them) I irrationally expected I would only actually feel sick for a day or two. apparently not.

you are a smart bunch of people, so you already know not to stop masking and being careful.
if you have any encouraging statistic to share that would be nice. I know I'm a lot less likely to end up in the hospital - or dead - than if I hadn't been vaxxed but nothing is out of the question.

luckily my company is going to pay me so that's one less worry. I have to text my symptoms to my boss every day, and have to stay out for 10 days once symptom free. so, lots of free time but not really enjoying it.

and I had recently heard Pfizer is wanting people to get booster shots after 6 months my last shot was in January.

:frown:

I'm so sorry! This pandemic is really rough. I hope you feel better soon and that you and all the others who tested positive will be ok.

The article from above:
Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine continues to show strong protection against serious illness and hospitalization after 6 months, but overall protection against the virus appears to wane after a half a year, according to a new study.

The July 28 preprint report of the study, which has not been peer reviewed, suggests a gradual “declining trend in vaccine efficacy” over 6 months after two doses of the Pfizer vaccine in more than 45,000 people worldwide.

The study finds overall effectiveness falls from 96% to 84%.

At the same time, a third booster dose of the Pfizer vaccine increases neutralizing antibody levels against the Delta variant by more than five times, compared to levels after just a second dose in people aged 18-55 years, new data from Pfizer shows.

The third-dose immune response appears even more robust – more than 11 times higher than the second shot – among people aged 65-85 year-old group.

“These preliminary data are very encouraging as Delta continues to spread,” Mikael Dolsten, MD, chief scientific officer and president of the Worldwide Research, Development, and Medical organization at Pfizer, said during prepared remarks on a company earnings call July 28, CNN reported.

Availability of a third dose of any of the current COVID-19 vaccines would require amendment of the Food and Drug Administration’s emergency use authorization, or full FDA approval for the vaccine.

The possibility of a third dose authorization or approval has not been without controversy. For example, when Pfizer announced intentions to file for FDA authorization of a booster dose on July 8, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the FDA, and the National Institutes of Health were quick to issue a joint statement saying they would decide when the timing is right for Americans to have a third immunization. The agencies stated, in part, “We are prepared for booster doses if and when the science demonstrates that they are needed.”

In addition, the World Health Organization said at a media briefing on July 12 that rich countries should prioritize sharing of COVID-19 vaccine supplies to other countries in need worldwide before allocating doses for a booster shot for its own residents.

A version of this article first appeared on WebMD.com.

#1–Does someone here know how to reach you and how to send supplies/help to your actual IRL address?

#2–Can you check in here at least once a day to ket us know how you are doing?

#3–MiniSue wrote a list of things to do and posted a photo of supplies they used. If you want the list, lemme know.

I had Pfizer and the last shot was mid January. :frown:

Spikey, I can post daily but my landlady has been checking on me and keeps offering to get me supplies. I'm going to take her up on it. so far I am really not too bad: just now I was downstairs sitting on my porch listening to bird song and watching the chickens.

so far all I am taking is Ibuprofen alternating with tylenol for the fever - and only once a day so far (although I seem to be slowly getting worse) and benydril for the congestion.

I did buy mucinex way back before vaccines but haven't had any yet. I have a pulse-ox and my sats are normal.

really, I still have a very mild case but I haven't been sick in so long it seems horrible. day three and I only now got more tired than usual. also just this afternoon my ears started clogging up. I just want to get to the place where I stop getting new symptoms!

I would love to see MiniSue's list.

all I know for sure is "drink liquids" and that's hard because water is what I usually drink and it doesn't taste good. my landlady is going to get me ginger ale.

thank you all for the info and concern.

From MiniSue. A note about breathing and vocal exercises…she‘s a swimmer and a singer. Those kinds of “exercises.”

Day 14.

Quarantine is over. He feels great. I feel good, but I have a lingering cough and low fever that still comes and goes. his daughter, age 10, has completed her quarantine and she woke up at 6:30

I do want to share with you all the recommendations that we've gotten from medical professionals and friends who have reached out because they also had/have it:

MEDICATIONS AND STUFF

• Vitamin C

• Vitamin D

• Zinc

• Acetaminophen (Tylenol)

• NSAIDS (Advil, Aleve)

• Imodium

• Mucinex

• Flonase

• Thermometer

• Pulse oximeter/blood pressure cuff/fitbit (if you have access to them)

• His allergist and my PCP also recommended using inhalers and a nebulizer we had in the house as needed.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Do not try to "power through" symptoms. If you have a fever, take Tylenol...or Advil...or both. These meds don't interact, you can take both (try alternating every two or three hours). This isn't food poisoning...you don't need to get anything out of your system. If you get diarrhea, take Imodium. If you get nauseous, talk to your doctor about anti-nausea medications. Not treating these symptoms can/will cause dehydration...and that is the devil.

- Hydrate, hydrate, HYDRATE. Water, tea, gatorade, pedialyte, juice, soup, etc. Dehydration affects your mucous membranes and the dryer the goo is in your lungs, the harder it is to clear out. This is also why Mucinex was universally recommended.

- Eat. It's hard when you have a fever, or stomach issues, or when you can't taste or smell anything...but eat something anyway. I stocked up on wheat thins, minute rice, white bread, etc. to snack on and ordered in when we wanted more.

- Move. Stretch. Take deeeep breaths that you feel in your back...and do it often. Lay on your stomach. I've been doing vocal exercises and deep breathing like I did before a (swim) race...but there are also great videos by respiratory therapists online. I do those, too.

- EDITED TO ADD: keep a journal. Take notes about your symptoms and medications...when you may have been exposed...etc. The whole thing becomes a blur and if you need to seek help from a doctor (or, God forbid, a paramedic) it will be very valuable. ALSO, if you live in LA, you will be contacted by the LA County Department of Public Health and it will help you answer their questions.

I really hope none of you need this...but it's here if you do.

Last edited:
got it at work, when Thursday morning the facility was notified one of the patients we got from the local hospital over a week ago, had been exposed. they tested her and she came up positive as did myself, one other employee and 5 other residents.

I'd worked with her closely in her room, unlike the PTA (who tested negative) who would take her down to the gym and also wasn't seeing her every day.

so far as I know, I am the only one who is sick. I'd had a sinus headache that morning that I thought was allergies but by the time they sent me home I was starting to feel not great, and by noon I had a fever of 100.7.

this is only day three but just like I'd irrationally felt safe because of being vaxxed (and all the patients test negative before we admit them) I irrationally expected I would only actually feel sick for a day or two. apparently not.

you are a smart bunch of people, so you already know not to stop masking and being careful.
if you have any encouraging statistic to share that would be nice. I know I'm a lot less likely to end up in the hospital - or dead - than if I hadn't been vaxxed but nothing is out of the question.

luckily my company is going to pay me so that's one less worry. I have to text my symptoms to my boss every day, and have to stay out for 10 days once symptom free. so, lots of free time but not really enjoying it.

and I had recently heard Pfizer is wanting people to get booster shots after 6 months my last shot was in January.

:frown:
Sorry to hear this. praying for a speedy and full recovery.

thank you for the kind thoughts and prayers!

I had been opporating on the theory that one should always take the fewest pills possible and so had been waiting to feel very feverish again to take tylenol/ibuprohen but instead last night I took some prophylactically before bed and had a better night's sleep for it.

also got in a lot more fluids yesterday as I was given ginger ale and I drank about half a liter of it.

still don't feel very good but I'll be happy if I am done getting new symptoms.

I had been opporating on the theory that one should always take the fewest pills possible and so had been waiting to feel very feverish again to take tylenol/ibuprohen but instead last night I took some prophylactically before bed and had a better night's sleep for it.
Don’t wait. Take it on a schedule. Need to stay ahead of the fever.

I kept thinking the fever was done going up and if I didn't wait, how would I know it was done going up. :dontknow:

Latest posts

Back