Help me alleviate some pre-op concerns!

Just a few more questions:

1. I can see that I've already had some scripts getting filed for painkillers (oxycodone), anti-nausea (ondansetron), and I think a gallstone preventative maybe? (ursodiol). I've not had my gallbladder removed nor is there a removal planned as part of my surgery, so I guess that's it? Anyways, as far as I know they're all just regular pill/capsules. Were any of you able to swallow/stomach pills immediately after surgery, or should I count on crushing or cutting into smaller pieces?

2. It looks like I also have a prescription for enoxaparin injections, 0.4ml, which to my understanding is an anticoagulant. Says twice a day and "quantity: 56". I guess I could reasonably assume that's 28 days, then? Anyways, is that fairly normal? I didn't know I'd have to be doing at-home injections! Hopefully that's not too bad. (I am sure I will hear more about the medication stuff in due time but figured I'd ask anyways)

3. Anybody have any tips about dealing with pre-op anxiety? I kind of outlined it in my OP but as surgery gets closer I'm finding myself getting more and more nervous, both about the procedure itself and life post-op and everything in-between...

1) Mine wasn’t removed. But I wasn’t given a preventative medication. Mine was bad preop but the never did a HIDA scan and sure enough 6 months later, it went tits up.
As far as pills, yes, but one at a time for at least a couple of months which meant I was full of fluid.

2) That’s common for many but not everyone. I only had them while in the hospital.

3) I think we all deal with anxiety pre-op for all of that, just keep reading and asking question.

Being anxious is just human nature. Pretty safe to say we all were. Just keep your eye on the prize. Pills, one at a time and SIP, don’t chug. The injections are NBD. The needle is tiny and thin. You inject yourself in your stomach fat.

My surgery was open and honestly the recovery was easier than I expected. I was uncomfortable but not in pain. I saved my narcotics to take at bed time because they let me sleep better. Don’t assume you are going to be miserable. You may do better than what you are anticipating.

1. My gall bladder was long gone by the time I had my surgery. In fact my surgeon was pushing me towards a sleeve only b/c of possible scar tissue. I insisted on DS or nothing which I verbally and in writing conveyed to anesthesiology and the surgical nurse that came to speak to me before surgery so we were all on the same page. The surgeon complained afterward that I did have scar tissue he had to remove, but I got my DS like I wanted.
  2. My at home pain killer was liquid and it was gone before I was out of pain so I switched to vicodin I had that was from an old dental procedure that I had not used. I got a shot to prevent clotting at the hospital, but nothing after, and did not have to take anything. I did make sure I got up and did laps around the house to prevent clots though.
  3. My anxiety presented itself as anger. I was pissed off that they asked if it might be possible for me to be pregnant? I said no I have my tubes tied and I am post menopausal with no period for over a year. They then handed me a pee collection container for a pregnancy test...... My anxiety kicked in any I went off on a tangent. Why waste all that time asking me questions if you are going to make me pee for a test anyway. No matter what I said I was going to have to pee in a cup. I HATE doing things that make no sense just because it is "policy". Since I was all riled up they got me through all the paperwork signing part pretty quick so they could give me happy drugs that took the anxiety edge off. Once I got the drugs I kept apploogizing to my nurse that was getting me prepped that I was mad about the ridiculous policy not at her. Lol, GOOD DRUGS! Just doing it and getting it over was what helped me. Once I decided to do it I did everything required and never stalled or questioned my decision. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself!!! I don't regret it at all. I'm about 9 1/2 months out and life is pretty normal and I weigh 147 lbs less!
I hope everything goes well and you don't get postponed. I had my surgery during this covid mess too, and it was a bit of a pain, but overall it worked out fine. My husband was allowed in to see me and that was all that mattered to me.

Being anxious is just human nature. Pretty safe to say we all were. Just keep your eye on the prize. Pills, one at a time and SIP, don’t chug. The injections are NBD. The needle is tiny and thin. You inject yourself in your stomach fat.

My surgery was open and honestly the recovery was easier than I expected. I was uncomfortable but not in pain. I saved my narcotics to take at bed time because they let me sleep better. Don’t assume you are going to be miserable. You may do better than what you are anticipating.

That's good to hear. And truthfully seems to be by and large the case for most people. But, I have this bad habit of seeing dozens of people say "Recovery wasn't too bad!" and then one or two people talk about how they had a rough time and immediately catch myself thinking "I'm doomed," hahah.

But, overall, mixed feelings. I'm definitely excited and know deep down I'm making the right choice, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any cold-feet type feelings. And of course there is kind of a weird feeling of "loss," in that the person I knew for the last 30 years is going to be leaving, at least in some ways... That, and kind of just feeling like - If I'm being honest - It's like giving up an addiction that I didn't really want to give up (but know it's the right choice, still). Mentally, there's still a part of me that feels a little bummed at the thought of not being able to slam a whole pizza by myself again. Of course I know that's unhealthy (and I suspect I will feel different on the matter post-op once my digestive system is all cut up) but it still feels like a loss in a weird way. So, certainly some growing to do there, still.

Mostly though I just have a big irrational fear of the whole surgical process and getting put under for anesthesia and all that. I just keep finding myself hit with these thoughts that it'll be the last time I ever get to see my wife and child and friends and all of that. And deep down I know that the surgery is very safe (and that - in general - I think I am probably a fairly "low-risk" patient, as far as bariatric surgery goes), but that logical thought doesn't always win :p
Perhaps I will have to see if I can get ahold of something for anxiety pre-op once I get to the hospital. Haha. Of course, I suspect the liquid diet I've been on for the last week has not done my emotional state any favors!

That's good to hear. And truthfully seems to be by and large the case for most people. But, I have this bad habit of seeing dozens of people say "Recovery wasn't too bad!" and then one or two people talk about how they had a rough time and immediately catch myself thinking "I'm doomed," hahah.

But, overall, mixed feelings. I'm definitely excited and know deep down I'm making the right choice, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any cold-feet type feelings. And of course there is kind of a weird feeling of "loss," in that the person I knew for the last 30 years is going to be leaving, at least in some ways... That, and kind of just feeling like - If I'm being honest - It's like giving up an addiction that I didn't really want to give up (but know it's the right choice, still). Mentally, there's still a part of me that feels a little bummed at the thought of not being able to slam a whole pizza by myself again. Of course I know that's unhealthy (and I suspect I will feel different on the matter post-op once my digestive system is all cut up) but it still feels like a loss in a weird way. So, certainly some growing to do there, still.

Mostly though I just have a big irrational fear of the whole surgical process and getting put under for anesthesia and all that. I just keep finding myself hit with these thoughts that it'll be the last time I ever get to see my wife and child and friends and all of that. And deep down I know that the surgery is very safe (and that - in general - I think I am probably a fairly "low-risk" patient, as far as bariatric surgery goes), but that logical thought doesn't always win :p
Perhaps I will have to see if I can get ahold of something for anxiety pre-op once I get to the hospital. Haha. Of course, I suspect the liquid diet I've been on for the last week has not done my emotional state any favors!
If I could change ONE thing, I would have had surgery at your age. I would have had so many more good years and I would look a lot better because my skin would have shrunk up to fit my new body. I hate looking like I am wearing a skin suit about 10 sizes too big. I am healthy like horse but I look like a train wreck.

I love pizza and let me just confess. I CAN and HAVE eaten a whole pizza by myself. Empty stomach, thin crust, pepperoni and extra cheese. Thin crust makes it doable. A lot less volume. Right now it’s normal to be concentrating on what you are losing and think about all the foods you will never get to eat again. My truth is I can eat anything now that I could eat preop.

But my day to day life is still a diet. I am a low carb person for life. I eat right almost all the time. I get to cheat for holidays and out of town vacations so those pizza extravaganzas are few and far between. I plan my cheat days like a General planning an invasion. Gives me something to look forward to. And like most women, I am always trying to lose a few pounds.

Morbid Obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. Surgery evens the playing field and lets you live a more normal life.

Hi everyone! I’ve officially joined the club!!

Surgery went well. According to Dr. Bonanni, no complications or anything and all went just as planned. (He did mention that I have an enlarged spleen. Didn’t have any idea about that) It took about 5 hours. I was in a post-anesthesia recovery room for about 2 hours before being moved to my current overnight room.

Now, I’m just working on getting my sips in and doing some walking and breathing into my incentive spirometer. I’m nearly up to 8 - 2tbsp medicine cups per hour and it seems to be going okay. There is a little discomfort on the way down, but zero nausea or feeling like it’s gonna come back. I did also have throat tube for breathing during the operation, and was told it may result in some soreness.
I also just managed to take an approx. 600ft walk. It didn’t go too bad. Definitely a little tender getting in and out of bed, and I still feel like my balance is a bit off and I kind of have a hard time focusing on things long-distance right now. But overall, pretty decent.

I do for sure have some gas pains which are really annoying. IV painkillers keep it somewhat managed but it’s still noticeable. But to be frank… by far the most painful part for me thus far was having my catheter removed, hahaha. :p

Other than that, I’m doing okay. I’m hoping that recovery continues to progress well. If I’m up and walking well enough, drinking enough, not having a lot of pain and/or nausea, and using the bathroom properly, I should be able to get sent home by tomorrow afternoon/evening!

Anyways, I guess now’s where the real journey begins! I’m excited. And from the bottom of my heart, I really have to say thanks for all the kind messages and words of encouragement here. My nerves were a mess and it was immensely helpful to see all the support. ❤️

Such great news to hear this morning! Sounds like you’re doing the right things. Just don’t push anything too much or too quickly.

you’re going to be keeping up with your little one easily in the upcoming months and years!

Wonderful news! Please remember to stay hydrated above all else. Also know that each day will get better from here!

Latest posts

Back