Hi all! Working towards DS...

Well.. DS is a wonderful operation for the obese. The co morbidities it resolves are remarkable ( sleep apnea, T2, diabetes, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia...etc) If you are young and obese , you may not have these problems.. if you are old and obese .. they are very likely. So avoid them before they get bad. T2 Diabetes, for example, leads to neuropathy ( as well as nephropathy).. and once the nerves degenerate in your feet.. they are gone.. literally a life long pain in the foot

I was about your size, BMI~50, when I got VSG, then a year later, DS. Two years later my BMI~25, the myriad comorbidities are resolved, but the foot neuropathy remains. My recommendation is lose the weight before you get old enough to have the problems. There are metabolically healthy young obese people, but when you get old, if you are obese, the metabolic problems multiply.

You seem worried about taking vitamins. Really, it's not a big deal. Anyone modestly organized can handle it. How can you tell if you are modestly organized? Can you hold a job? Can you maintain a relationship? If so, you are modestly organized, so the worry about taking vitamins is misplaced. Don't get me wrong, you have to take them, and if you don't, you will develop malnutrition and associated problems, but they are avoidable problems... just take the vitamins

You also seem worried about surgery. Morbidity and complications of DS are way down, compared to 20 years ago. And, as others have pointed out, you have found a good experienced DS surgeon, which stacks odd in your favor.

Now for the part you can't control well post DS: craping and farting. Some people develop constipation others diarrhea, still others UBM ( urgent bowel movements). The farting is almost completely unbelievable. I'm talking about stinkers that will clear a room, and make your sweet spouse re think if, on the whole, you are worth the stink. Few talk about it because it is embarrassing, but it is a literal pain in the butt... and it does not get any better

Compared to the eventually problems of metabolic related obesity problems (heart disease, dialysis, neuropathy, foot amputation) craping and farting are a walk in the park.. but they are still problems post DS

If anyone knows how to mitigate that downside, I'm all ears
For the first year or so, I had issues. As I got older maybe I learned how to deal with it better or I changed. The truth is probably a combination of these things. But as long as I eat clean, I poop once a day and don't fart more than anyone else. We are all different and in this regard, I am one of the lucky ones. But remember I had my surgery almost 20 years ago.

If I eat really badly... All bets are off!

Farts:
  1. Don’t eat processed white flour products, especially ones that have been refrigerated.
  2. Or at least don’t eat them 4-8 hours before you have to be around people who don’t have to rely on you for financial support, or before a plane flight (gas expands at altitude).
  3. Probiotics - I take two different ones/day.

Latest posts

Back