Nausea post op

Nexium has never worked for me; instead, Prilosec has been my PPI of choice. It’s definitely individual on which one works or not. I hope Protonix brings you relief.

And unfortunately I’ve thrown up twice since my ER visit yesterday! PCP wants me to go off the Protonix and do an H. Pylori test a week from today as she thinks the gastritis could be from that.

She wrote me 2 more prescriptions to try for the nausea. It’s intense. The dry heaves are also getting old.

I also have an appointment Monday afternoon with the gastroenterologist who is also a bariatric dr that the ER dr recommended I see.

Last edited:
The persistent nausea and vomiting could also be caused by pancreatitis. Often, with pancreatitis, people need to be admitted to the hospital and put on IV fluids so the pancreas can rest. If you just aren't getting better, you need to go back to the ER and be re-checked, and don't let them send you home if you can't manage at home.

Hi guys, I got home last night from 2 days in the hospital. Here’s what’s going on. I have an abundance of reflux. I do not have any blockages or leaks and my other organs look fine. Unfortunately during this saga I’ve tried all the PPIs and they do nothing to stop the cycle of reflux causing nausea and vomiting. Zofran and the other nausea drugs do nothing for the nausea. I am still throwing up. They did a CT scan in the ER last week and a barium swallow yesterday. The staff in charge of my care yesterday talked about doing TPN if I can’t keep food and nutrients in me. I said I was not mentally or emotionally ready to go there yet. Myself and the staff all predicted I would be throwing up again since they did no magical healing on me and we were right. Is there anything to be done to get my stomach to calm down and stop producing so much reflux?

Hi guys, I got home last night from 2 days in the hospital. Here’s what’s going on. I have an abundance of reflux. I do not have any blockages or leaks and my other organs look fine. Unfortunately during this saga I’ve tried all the PPIs and they do nothing to stop the cycle of reflux causing nausea and vomiting. Zofran and the other nausea drugs do nothing for the nausea. I am still throwing up. They did a CT scan in the ER last week and a barium swallow yesterday. The staff in charge of my care yesterday talked about doing TPN if I can’t keep food and nutrients in me. I said I was not mentally or emotionally ready to go there yet. Myself and the staff all predicted I would be throwing up again since they did no magical healing on me and we were right. Is there anything to be done to get my stomach to calm down and stop producing so much reflux?

Hi LorettaLynn,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can only recommend you go for the TPN so that you have adequate nutrition and hydration to heal properly during recovery. Hopefully this will resolve once the post-surgical swelling abates.

Did you have the traditional/full/two anastomoses DS or the LOOP/SIPS/SADI? My understanding is that with the latter configuration there is a potential for bile reflux - might want to rule that out?

I really hope you feel better soon!

TPN seems to have some really horrible side effects so I’m not keen to go there yet.

I had a traditional virgin DS with Dr Wilhelmy. The surgery changes on the tests look great for what that’s worth.

Hi LorettaLynn,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can only recommend you go for the TPN so that you have adequate nutrition and hydration to heal properly during recovery. Hopefully this will resolve once the post-surgical swelling abates.

Did you have the traditional/full/two anastomoses DS or the LOOP/SIPS/SADI? My understanding is that with the latter configuration there is a potential for bile reflux - might want to rule that out!

TPN seems to have some really horrible side effects so I’m not keen to go there yet.

I had a traditional virgin DS with Dr Wilhelmy. The surgery changes on the tests look great for what that’s worth.

Can you tolerate sipping G2 (Gatorade) or Pedialyte - something with electrolyte? I'm so worried about your hydration with the vomiting? Hang in there!

TPN can have complications, as can any medical procedure or medication, but it also saves lives. Being dehydrated and throwing up can also have complications even beyond what you are already experiencing (like protein deficiency, low potassium, and more). I hope the nausea will resolve on its own, but if not, you may not have a "no risk of potential complications" alternative.
OTOH, it's good news that your surgical anatomy and organs look good.

FWIW I had to use Zantac to get my reflux under control. At this time I'm taking Nexium too but I'm hoping to to drop that when my current supply runs out. Only other things that helped were drinking and eating slowly, with breaks for several minutes after a little consumption, not having anything for at least an hour before lying down and keeping my upper body elevated in bed. Drinking because something feels "stuck" is almost always a really terrible idea.
The odd thing is I actually so far seem to be almost unable to vomit. I've always been a puker so this is a surprise. I have went too fast eating a few times and then been utterly miserable and assumed the position because I felt like I was going to puke right now. I really wished I would puke just to get it over with. I spit out a massive amount of "slime" but didn't ever actually get any food up. Usually after about half an hour of utter misery things settle down to just discomfort.
It's weird because we were done by the same doctor the same week.

So far I’ve been on Nexium, Protonix, Zantac, Reglan, etc with no relief from the vomiting from reflux. Going to PCP for an H Pylori test now. Wish me luck.

I think the current plan is to try Protonix a little longer to see if we’re giving it enough time. My insurance is not covering the Dexwhatever. H pylori test was difficult to complete due to needing to drink a vile concoction and not puke it up, then blow into a bag. I ordered a wedge pillow to elevate my sleeping position in case that helps.

Latest posts

Back