diarrhea after surgery

dahlia123

Hi all- I had a conversion from VSG to DS on November 15, 2016. Since I started drinking protein shakes, I've had urgent, messy, loose stools. I go about 4-6 times per day, and am getting in 30-40 grams of protein in per day. I'm getting in <10 g of carbs and fat per day (it depends on what protein shake I'm trying). I'm only on chewable centrum vitamins right now; will start my full vitamin regimen in another week. I am drinking about 80 oz per day... 64 of that from water, 20 of that from unsweetened hot or iced tea. I don't think I'm dehydrated from the diarrhea... my urine is pale yellow, my mouth isn't dry.

I am thinking most of my stool is bile... it burns a lot. Any tips? Would you recommend immodium? I am not upset with the frequency (although nervous for what this will look like when I'm eating more), but the urgency is a problem. I've had three accidents thus far, two while I was sleeping. Should I go ahead and start the calcium citrate in hopes of firming things up? I've also suspended my probiotic while I heal from surgery, but I took it before surgery, so my gut flora should still be okay. In the past, when I've stopped the probiotic, I'm usually okay for a month or so before I start to miss it, so I don't think it is due to the lack of a probiotic. Do you think it's just due to the newness of surgery?

I do think the newness of surgery is a big factor. Your intestines are still healing and adjusting to their new configuration. If the problem persists, let your surgeon know. You were probably given a dose or 2 of antibiotics just before and after your surgery, and even just 1-2 doses are enough to cause overgrowth of bad bugs or even C diff. But hopefully it's just the adjusting stuff.

Thanks Larra. I keep telling myself that it's only been a week and my body is just freaked out but it's still scares me. It's reassuring to hear it from someone else.

Breathe! I had what I called miso soup for the first 10 days four to six times a day.

It gets a little better every week. I'm at 12 weeks and it's a lot better. But it takes time.

What Southernlady said and of course I did not listen is your outside heals quickly. Inside takes a lot more time. I really think at about week 10 my insides really are getting to where they need to be and I still am not there.

Last edited:
@galaxygrrl you got that right! My incisions are practically healed but my insides are still sore.

Glad to hear someone else dealt with this too. My surgeon had me all prepared for constipation- even sent me home with some prescription laxative (in which I obviously won't be partaking).

I'm sure things will get better with time!

Sometimes, lactose intolerance occurs after surgery and if your protein drink has milk in it, you might want to try an alternative. I use bottled water when this happens. What diet were you discharged with? Ten carbs is pretty severe. This early out, clear everything with the surgeon that wasn't part of your discharge instructions, including calcium and Imodium. Don't be alarmed. This isn't what life after DS is. It's temporary. Take care.

It could be the protein drinks. I culdbt do them and the one or two I choked down caused urgent bathroom trips. Personally I would get on a good probiotic now. That should help some.

@KathrynK... I've tried lactose free protein drinks. Unjury is what I've used the most. My discharge diet is 60-80 grams of protein and 500-600 calories. 80 grams of protein=320 calories. Their guidelines encourage some fat/ carbs to get to the 500 calorie goal. I'm not following their guidelines. I'm not eating 10 grams of carbs every day... I just put that as a guesstimate for the days I've had carbs in the different shakes I've tried.

@DSRIGGS ... Definitely ready for real food. I didn't mind protein shakes prior to surgery at all, but I just don't think I'm tolerating them well now. I have to force myself to drink them like they are medicine. I think I may go ahead and reintroduce my probiotic this week. What's the probiotic that you use?

@KathrynK... I've tried lactose free protein drinks. Unjury is what I've used the most. My discharge diet is 60-80 grams of protein and 500-600 calories. 80 grams of protein=320 calories. Their guidelines encourage some fat/ carbs to get to the 500 calorie goal. I'm not following their guidelines. I'm not eating 10 grams of carbs every day... I just put that as a guesstimate for the days I've had carbs in the different shakes I've tried.

@DSRIGGS ... Definitely ready for real food. I didn't mind protein shakes prior to surgery at all, but I just don't think I'm tolerating them well now. I have to force myself to drink them like they are medicine. I think I may go ahead and reintroduce my probiotic this week. What's the probiotic that you use?
I use Primal Defense Ultra from Garden of Life. Seveal of the ladies from here introduced me to that one as a good one to take. Amazon carries it

@dahlia123 you had surgery a week ago. Just a week ago. Unjury is what I used and what my surgeon recommended. Give it some time, you just has your insides rerouted.

It takes time.

Last edited:
It ended up getting worse over the past day, and I called my surgeon and was advised to take Imodium and prescribed Creon. I have a follow up on Monday, so I can address it then. So far, the meds are helping immensely.

Thank you all for the advice!

Always treat diarrhea. Imodium is your friend. For probably the first year or so, I always had some with me. It was a safety blanket! Try some yogurt with active cultures too.

Always treat diarrhea. Imodium is your friend. For probably the first year or so, I always had some with me. It was a safety blanket! Try some yogurt with active cultures too.

The Imodium helped IMMENSELY. My doctor wrote a RX for it, and I got a huge bottle for cheap! Filling so much better... having accidents is not fun!

Hi Dahlia, Just as heads up, Creon is great for increasing absorption, but can cause very acidic diarrhea. If this becomes problematic, ask your doctor about a prescription for Welchol or another bile salt sequestrant, to help deal with the Creon side effects. P.s. Congrats on a successful procedure. It should get better every day from here!

Latest posts

Back