Nausea post op

The nausea is back with full force, and I just threw up a bottle of water. This is getting old fast.

My PCP gave me a 6 day prescription for Zofran which I picked up last night. I’m about to eat my breakfast and see how it’s helping. My PCP said the Nexium is the best PPI to take. I also bought some tiny hard pieces of ginger from Amazon to try. We’ll see how this goes.

Sorry you are nauseous and hope the zofran helps. Definitely try to hydrate as much as possible - not easy if you just threw up H20, I know. That said, I found plain water difficult to drink immediately post op, and I know others had some sensitivity to temperatures. So mayb try a tiny sample of ice cubes / popsicles, warm tea as well as room temperature to find out whether temperature matters for you and also try different flavors - crystal light, G2, crush packets. Hope today is a better day!

My PCP gave me a 6 day prescription for Zofran which I picked up last night. I’m about to eat my breakfast and see how it’s helping. My PCP said the Nexium is the best PPI to take. I also bought some tiny hard pieces of ginger from Amazon to try. We’ll see how this goes.
Just because Nexium is the "best" does not mean it will work FOR YOU. But give it a chance. Two weeks will tell you if it works or not. Omeprazole and Nexium may as well be placebos for all the good they do me.

I threw my dinner Wed night even after taking the Zofran, so it’s not helping a great deal. My belly is quieter when I take it, but still not nausea-free. I’m going back to the IV therapy place for some more fluids and electrolytes this afternoon, because I want to stay ahead of getting dehydrated.

I threw my dinner Wed night even after taking the Zofran, so it’s not helping a great deal. My belly is quieter when I take it, but still not nausea-free. I’m going back to the IV therapy place for some more fluids and electrolytes this afternoon, because I want to stay ahead of getting dehydrated.
Good idea to stay ahead of dehydration. Question, what was dinner?

Hope you feel better soon. I'd recommend dialing back the food entirely to purees and soups until you feel a bit better. And absolutely, hydration is the number one priority - glad you are staying on top of it!

Last edited:
My meals have pretty much been yogurt, cheese, jello, soup, carrots with peanut butter. I tried a little chicken when I felt I couldn’t take any more fake sweetness. Some Fairlife milk, bottled cold water.

LorettaLynn I and others here became lactose intolerant as a result of DS. Maybe it is the milk that is getting you? Carrots are hard to digest, as is peanut butter. Chicken is often the meat that takes the longest for people to get back to eating. I'd recommend cutting out the yogurt, milk, carrots, peanut butter and stick with jello, soup and water. Then add those things back in one at a time.

My meals have pretty much been yogurt, cheese, jello, soup, carrots with peanut butter. I tried a little chicken when I felt I couldn’t take any more fake sweetness. Some Fairlife milk, bottled cold water.
Yogurt yes
Cheese yes
Jello yes
Soup depends...try to avoid cream of soups, they have flour in them and stick to clear soups for now.
Carrots nope
Peanut butter, not yet.
Chicken, unless it’s something like Costco canned chicken mashed up and mixed with some full fat mayo, it’s gonna be hard. Chicken is typically way too dry this early on.
Milk of any kind, avoid for a few weeks. Lactose intolerance is very common right after surgery even if you’ve never been lactose intolerant before. I know Fairlife says it’s lactose free but they can’t make it 100% free. And even a little bit may be too much right now.

Other options:
Tuna mixed with mayo
Shrimp (just not fried)
Egg drop soup (just the broth part)
Broth, esp bone broth...but clear.
Scrambled egg...some can, some can't.
V8 juice but wait til you are 2-3 weeks out.

Notice most of those options aren’t sweet.

Try different temperatures of water, maybe add a dab of flavor. I couldn’t handle cold but warm broth was great.

Latest posts

Back