diarrhea after surgery

Hi Dahlia, Just as heads up, Creon is great for increasing absorption, but can cause very acidic diarrhea. If this becomes problematic, ask your doctor about a prescription for Welchol or another bile salt sequestrant, to help deal with the Creon side effects. P.s. Congrats on a successful procedure. It should get better every day from here!

Thanks Hilary! Appreciate the advice about Welchol.

I use Primal Defense Ultra from Garden of Life. Seveal of the ladies from here introduced me to that one as a good one to take. Amazon carries it

Thanks for sharing! Just ordered it from Amazon... I was running out of my old one. I hate yogurt, kefir, and kombucha, which makes me sad. I've really tried hard to like them- tried several varieties of each. I'd love to eat those good gut bacteria instead of taking them in pills. I do like sauerkraut and kimchi, but those aren't things I would want to eat every day. So supplemental probiotics it is!

I'd also say just give it some time. The first two weeks were a bit tough this way, then, my insides adjusted and it got a bit better every week. Now it's fine. Never took anything.

I'd also say just give it some time. The first two weeks were a bit tough this way, then, my insides adjusted and it got a bit better every week. Now it's fine. Never took anything.

I was wavering on the give it time part vs calling my doctor.... if it weren't for having accidents, I probably wouldn't have called. Plus, I knew the office would be closed for Thanksgiving so I figured I'd call before the holiday just so I'd have something if things got worse. I'm still going 4-5 times per day even on the Imodium, but at least it isn't in my pants/ bed! I'm leading such a glamorous life right now, ha!

I did not many accidents, maybe 5. So, if you are having lots of those, I would see the Dr. I do think it is a time thing. Body needs to heal. My PCP who had the surgery and has had about 30 patients with the DS said to me, one week in about this is it takes time.

I did not many accidents, maybe 5. So, if you are having lots of those, I would see the Dr. I do think it is a time thing. Body needs to heal. My PCP who had the surgery and has had about 30 patients with the DS said to me, one week in about this is it takes time.

I'm so impatient... but you're right!

I'm so impatient... but you're right!

Yes and so was I. I remember thinking what did I do the first two weeks because I had the runs so badly. But now after.90 days it's just fine and as actually getting back to pre surgery like which I did not expect

Hang in there. It takes.time and I know that sux, but this recovery takes time. It was really 90 days for.me.

Last edited:
Just a heads up on vocabulary...some doctors go with diagnosing diarrhea based on urgency, frequency, consistency...that kind of thing. Others buy into the "three or more bm's per day = diarrhea." Many DSers have two bm's before their first cup of coffee. A 3x/day doctor will try to "cure" that for you. Be careful.

Leaving diarrhea untreated can cause real problems trust me someone who knows well. I got so sick so many times from having severe diarrhea and depleted all my vitamins and minerals so if you have true diarrhea make sure to treat it. But make sure that is true diarrhea. Now that you've had the DS we go to the bathroom a lot more frequently than normal people and the consistency can be a lot looser. On a normal day I might go 7 to 8 times and that's being normal for me.

Latest posts

Back