Nausea post op

Yogurt yes
Cheese yes
Milk of any kind, avoid for a few weeks. Lactose intolerance is very common right after surgery even if you’ve never been lactose intolerant before. I know Fairlife says it’s lactose free but they can’t make it 100% free. And even a little bit may be too much right now.

I still can't tolerate yogurt 6 years out, much as I loved it prior to DS. Even Greek, even whole milk / full fat, there's still enough lactose that it makes me very uncomfortable. Cheese, especially hard cheeses like Swiss and Cheddar, my body handles well.

I still can't tolerate yogurt 6 years out, much as I loved it prior to DS. Even Greek, even whole milk / full fat, there's still enough lactose that it makes me very uncomfortable. Cheese, especially hard cheeses like Swiss and Cheddar, my body handles well.
And even tho I am still lactose intolerant of milk and ice cream, I eat yogurt daily. I agree on the hard cheeses.

I like Whey Protein Isolate products from UNJURY. My favorite is the unflavored protein powder, which I add to smoothies, soups, and oatmeal. I also really like their Chicken Soup Flavor Protein and they have a new Santa Fe Chili Flavor Protein I want to try. You can buy single-serve packets so you can see which flavors appeal to you before committing to larger containers.

www.unjury.com

Hope you feel better soon!

Any mild, soft white fish would be a good not-sweet choice. Scallops too. With your tuna, remember that you can use full fat mayo now, not the "diet" stuff.
I love chicken, but couldn't eat it so soon after surgery as it's stringy. But fish and eggs are good choices, and with your egg drop soup, I will disagree with southernlady and say that even the egg part should be ok. It's just egg, and small amounts at that.

My efforts to get IV fluids from the IV therapy place were thwarted by my crappy veins today so I am to drink, drink, drink and they will see me again early Monday. The RN there advised me to avoid soups as they can be so salty and working against hydration and so I just ate some mango at her suggestion. She tried 2 different spots for the IV. The rest of my veins were hiding/rolling and we agreed 2 painful failures was our limit for the day.

As for my nausea, it is always worse at night. The 3 times I’ve barfed in the last couple weeks have all been at night.

Fish and eggs; hard cheeses and yoghurt generally have most if not all lactose fermented out. Very satisfying: Taco Bell pintos and cheese (get extra cheese) and Wendy's chili.

That Unjury chili flavored protein soup sounds really interesting - if I ever use up the lifetime supply of chicken soup flavor I bought, I'm gonna try that.

That Unjury chili flavored protein soup sounds really interesting - if I ever use up the lifetime supply of chicken soup flavor I bought, I'm gonna try that.

I bought a tub of it but it really didn't work for me. The palatibility really goes down when it cools off and being only a couple weeks postop when I got it I just couldn't drink it fast enough to keep most of it from getting cold. I think it's got a different spice mixture than I'm used to as well. I'm generally more of a Wendy's type chili person with lots of Cumin, Chili powder, and salt and pepper; not sure what their spice mix is. I have had the thought of trying to mix in a scoop to a warm cup of chili for a protein boost.

The chicken soup is also not great when it cools off - not like MY from scratch chicken soup.

You can of course make it 4 oz at a time.

I can remember having nausea when trying to eat. (I’ll be three years post Mexico Dr Esquerra DS in June). I was desperate to find something I could eat and was palatable to me. The pintos and cheese were good but surprisingly for me the little ritz type crackers tasted so good and stayed down. It only took about one or two and I’d nibble it and would eat some cheese with it or some canned chicken doused in mayo. For some reason crunchier texture well chewed went down better than other textures. It’s vdry random what appeals and works. I also think it could be partly acid reflux mixed in. I hope you can feel better soon.

Susan

Recovery takes a while. For me, it took a year to feel really back to normal, but 3 months, I was doing well. So, two things really helped when I was about month out.

- Fresh mozzarella with olive oil and vingar. It went down fine and tasted yummy.
- Fried Tofu from a Japanese restaurant. It's the appatiser menu. Made with tempura sauce.

Thanks for checking on me, Don. It’s hanging around still. My PCP gave me a new RX for a different anti nausea med and my chiropractor thinks the problem is my vagus nerve so I’ve seen him a couple times for help. Everything else seems fine, no pain and no other ill effects.

Latest posts

Back