My DS experience...with complications

joben

Hi all - I've posted a bit about this in another thread but figured I would get everything all organized together here in one place. Hopefully some find this informative/helpful, and hopefully I get some help from others, too!

I also want to add up front that I am not in any way trying to discourage anyone from getting the surgery. I know my circumstances are very rare and just figure it's worth sharing.

So, with that all said...

I had been back and forth about the idea of WLS for around a year - my PCP mentioned that we were getting a new surgeon to our area who was pretty highly regarded. I was honestly kind of leaning towards no surgery, but in 2021 my wife and I welcomed our first child and I had a bit of a Covid-scare a few months later and that was enough to push me towards getting it done. I entered into my hospital's bariatric surgery program in August/September '21 and met with the new surgeon to the area - Dr. Fernando Bonanni. Ultimately after a couple of consults he told me that his recommendation "if I was his brother" would be to do the duodenal switch, with a VSG his second choice. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the two, but ultimately elected for the DS as I learned in doing my research that it has by far the best long-term outcomes. I am relatively young (30) and am hoping to be here for quite a bit longer, so I wanted something that would work really long-term. My insurance didn't have any minimum waiting periods or pretty much any stipulations at all (didn't have to lose any weight or anything like that) and I was approved fairly quickly, which was really nice. After a bit of discussion with Dr. Bonanni we elected to do a bit longer common channel (150cm) as he told me that's more or less been his 'standard' for the last decade or so and has seen really good outcomes without so much malnutrition troubles.

I went in for my surgery on the morning of January 7, 2022. It was done laparoscopically, robotic-assisted, and by all accounts went very well. Dr. Bonanni reported an enlarged spleen, but otherwise a fairly by-the-book surgery and that all in all everything went about as well as you could hope for. If I remember correctly, I was out of surgery and out of the post-anesthesia unit by mid-afternoon and the plan was to discharge the following afternoon (Jan. 8).
For the most part things were going well. By the evening I was able to get up and walk around without much trouble at all, and was tolerating water no problem. I was getting in a good fluid intake, and didn't have any issues at all with nausea, vomiting, or anything like that. By the following morning I was cleared to be discharged and was told I'd be free to go around noon.

At this point however I was starting to notice a bit more pain and it didn't seem to be managed very well by medication. I also noticed that my abdomen was starting to feel bloated and "tighter," more than what seemed normal from surgical gas. I had also not been able to produce a bowel movement at this point, and could hardly pass gas. I did not feel comfortable with going home at this point and requested to stay at least another night to see if things would start heading the right way. Dr. Bonanni came in for a follow-up consult early in the morning of January 9 as I was still experiencing increasing pain and none of my other symptoms had really shown any positive changes either. It was around this time that they noted my blood pressure had begun dropping while my heart rate was increasing. I don't remember the exact numbers but apparently it was fairly concerning. Some of the medical staff suggested that we run a CT to see if there was a bleed or something somewhere, but ultimately Dr. Bonanni decided that the best course of action would be to head back into surgery and 'explore' that way. To be honest, at the time I was fairly disappointed to hear this (I was hoping to just get a CT!) but ultimately found out that this was the right decision.

This second surgery was also initially performed laparoscopically but quickly I had a large bleed/clot that had formed and had completely obstructed my bowel. As a result this had to be converted to an open surgery. Ultimately the clot they removed was around 2L in volume but was able to get things patched up well and tested for leaks with no issues. As I understand a portion of the blocked intestine pretty much "died" and a small section had to be removed as a result but in the big picture I was given the impression this was not particularly significant. In whatever case, after the fact I was more or less told that if I'd gone home or even taken the time to get a CT scheduled and done that there was a good chance I would not have made it through the night.

So, I ended up spending the next three or four days in the ICU as my heart rate had remained quite elevated and blood pressure was still fairly low. Additionally I had very high white blood cell and procalcitonin counts which led my medical staff to believe there was perhaps some sort of infection going on. These numbers bounced around a bit for a few days but never really got down low enough for them to be comfortable with moving to a lower level of care. At some point it was suggested that perhaps there could be an infection in the incision that was made for the open portion of the surgery - Dr. Bonanni ended up removing about half of the staples to inspect the wound and found no signs of infection there. Honestly, most of my time in the ICU is fairly foggy. I was on a lot of pain meds and had my own pain pump and feel like the whole time was pretty much a daze. My heart rate was still sitting in the 140's and I was having a hard time getting any good, deep breaths in. I did end up developing some atelectasis and the combination of this plus remaining surgical gas pain and just general discomfort made trying to do the 'deep breathing' exercises really painful. I got stuck and had so many IV's and labs drawn and all kinds of things, to the point that I quickly lost count and they were running out of good usable veins because they'd all been poked about so much. :p I do remember getting some sort of "arterial line" or something like that put in and I don't know exactly what it did but I do know it hurt WAY more than a typical stick or IV draw, hahaha. Ultimately after about three days in the ICU I started to show some signs of progress. Maybe TMI, but on day three I kind of accidentally pooped the bed. This was really embarrassing but at the same time really encouraging as it was the first time I'd been able to go since my first surgery and of course I was worried that I had another blockage or something.

At this point I was able to be moved to the "step-down" PCU. Honestly this was probably my least favorite time of my whole stay. I was still in a lot of pain and for some reason the beds in this unit were a lot less comfortable. On top of that pretty much all the nurses that staffed this unit seemed way less interested/involved than the ICU (or the med-surg floor!) ones and I spent a lot of time hitting my call button and just waiting for someone to show up to help me out with this or that. And I had to basically beg to get some simple things like a fan, some sleeping medication, and a heating pad for my back. But oh well. I did end up receiving a transfusion of one unit of blood at this point as my blood levels had still not increased to where they were hoping. As I understand, I was more than one unit "low" but my treatment staff felt that since I was young and had a healthy heart it was 'safer' to go with a smaller transfusion, rather than risk complications with further transfusions (knowing what I know now, I wish I had told them to take the chance and just 'top me off'! :p ) I do remember feeling really weird while receiving the transfusion, but I guess that could have been any combination of things. It ultimately didn't have any problems and I did feel like this made me look a bit more "alive" finally! So, after about three or four days in the PCU I was cleared to step-down again, back to the medical/surgical floor (this is where I was initially sent after my first surgery).

Being back on the med-surg floor felt like a really big improvement compared to the PCU. I was still extremely sore and had a very hard time getting myself up to go to the bathroom or to try and walk around or anything like that. In addition to the soreness, my heart rate was still pretty elevated and would get worked up really easy with even the smallest activity. But, I was finally able to get some decent rest and we saw most of my numbers heading in the right direction. Ultimately it took about another week until my WBC counts and whatnot had got to a range they were comfortable discharging me with. I ended up having a couple more CT's done to rule out any further bleeds/leaks or anything like pneumonia, and they all came back negative. So, after about two weeks in the hospital I was finally cleared to go home.

Home-care has been mostly uneventful and pretty much the same as my time in the med-surg floor, just without any IV's or lab draws or interruptions every few hours. Pretty much just sleep, go to the bathroom, try to eat, try to walk for a few minutes, and then go back to sleep.

SO, where am I at now?

Unfortunately I have not seen a ton of progress in the weeks since being discharged. Or, at least...it's been very slow. I am still tired all the time and fatigue extremely easily. I do just fine with my fluid intake, but have had a hard time getting in enough food intake. Often times it seems like a debate between 1.) stay in bed and get rest but don't eat or 2.) get up out of bed and fix something to eat but get less rest and I'm so tired all the time that (1) often seems to win out. Things have been slowly improving in that regard, but I do definitely feel like I'm struggling to get in enough nutrition, and stuff like protein shakes that I used to drink with no problem seem to be a bit tougher to stomach now. That coupled with the fact that I rarely have any appetite has made things pretty tough. I'm doing pretty good with my vitamins, though I am thinking I am going to try supplementing some additional Iron and perhaps some B12. I have not had follow-up labs done yet but I do remember seeing one of my hospital lab records saying it looked like I potentially had low iron and I can only assume that's gotten worse in the time since then. I must confess that I just went with the hospital-recommended vitamin plan which is pretty much just a high-ADEK multivitamin w/ Iron (2x daily) and some calcium citrate chewables (6x daily) and I'm suspecting it's simply not enough. Plus, they kinda taste gross, so I'm looking to transition to something more similar to the Vitalady DS plan or the like. I figure that knowing I was a bit anemic when leaving the hospital, perhaps some additional iron supplementation would help out, but maybe I am off base on that.

Still the worst part is just the fatigue and how easily I get worn out. Pre-surgery my average resting heart rate for 2021 was about 68-72bpm. Post-op - for the last month or so - it has been around 95bpm. Even simple things like just walking short distances feel like a full-blown workout - just yesterday morning I walked from my car into church and by the time I got to my seat my heart rate was reading at nearly 150bpm. Even just sitting upright tends to keep it fairly elevated, like the mid 110s to 120s range. That has been really tough, and I haven't seen a ton of improvement in that regard and am not really sure what more I can do. I know that with a lower blood volume your heart simply has to pump more quickly to circulate it the same, but it's been six weeks since surgery with very little improvement. I guess I am hoping that adding in more iron will help increase my RBC counts too, but I'm not really sure at this point. It's very limiting and truthfully a bit discouraging. On the plus side, I've lost about 50lbs since surgery and a whole 100lbs since beginning with the surgical program (397 when I started the program in August/Sept '21; 347 day of surgery; 297 today) but I feel so much less healthy than I did 100lbs ago, which seems like a pretty weird thing to say, lol.

So, do I regret having the DS done? Honestly, at the moment, I kind of do. I know my particular circumstances are pretty rare (Dr. Bonanni told me he'd only seen this happen one other time in his career), but it's hard to not feel like I wouldn't have had so many problems if I'd went with the 'simpler' VSG procedure (and maybe a DS at some later point down the road). I know it is still relatively early, but as of yet I've not really seen any benefits for me, either. Yes, I've lost a lot of weight, but as above, I feel a lot less healthy than I did when I was heavier and definitely haven't got any new-found energy or anything like that either. I hardly have an appetite and hate having to wait a long time after eating to be able to take a drink. I haven't found any foods that I absolutely cannot tolerate (thankfully, I've still not had anything make me particularly nauseous or make me vomit or anything like that), but at the same time pretty much everything feels like it sits "heavy" and it seems like it takes me nearly an hour to eat something like 2oz of deli turkey without feeling "heavy" or bloated or something. I am really limited in what I can help out with around the house and can't even pick up my 11-mo old son, which is really tough given that my wife is currently ~20 weeks pregnant herself and has spent the past week battling a rough bout of covid, too. It's been a really rough time, to say the least. I had a lot of worries/concerns about surgery in the first place, and I hate to say it but pretty much all of my fears ended up coming true (well, with the exception of dying on the table, thankfully, haha!), so it's really hard to not "i told you so" to myself. BUT, like I said, I know these circumstances are very rare, and I'm still holding onto hope that someday soon I will turn a corner and things will get a little more "normal" and I'll start feeling myself again. But with how slow things have been going, it's just awfully discouraging still. But I still believe I will see those 'benefits' someday. Just feels a lot further off than I had initially expected.

Well, that's pretty much all I've got at the moment. My regards if you made it all the way through to the end. Like I said at the start, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of getting the surgery - just wanted to offer my perspective. And I hope it doesn't come off as me trying to get a pity-party either; that's not my intent but I guess just kinda wanted to vent a little bit and get everything out there to help process the last ~6 weeks or so a bit better for myself. Again, kudos if you made it all the way to the end!

I'm so sorry you have had, and are still having, such a rough time of it, but glad you posted about it here. Yes, complications like yours are rare, but they do happen, and anyone considering any form of bariatric surgery needs to understand that. Even people who have chosen sleeve or the supposedly safer lap band (with its crappy long term results) have had serious complications. All anyone can do is become well informed, make the decision that you feel is best for you, follow the rules and hope for the best. And choose a good surgeon, of course, which fortunately you did.
I'm not surprised that you are still exhausted. Your body has taken a couple huge hits. You WILL recover and you WILL feel better! Give it more time, which I realize is especially difficult when you want so badly to help your wife and be the Dad a young child who can't possibly understand what you are going through expects you to be. Just try not to be discouraged.
I would recommend that you up your vitamin intake as you are thinking about, and also some supplemental iron should help your bone marrow to make those important red blood cells. You actually have enough blood volume, the problem is that it's the red blood cells that carry oxygen around, and low RBC (i.e. anemia) is probably what is making your heart work harder. And, unless your labs say otherwise, you probably don't need B12. Lack of B12 is a big issue with gastric bypass but usually not with the DS. But go by what your labs say, not by what I say.
And stay with us! This group is well informed and supportive. We are here for you. And so glad you are home and getting better.

The up side to your issue is you had a very experienced surgeon, even tho he was new to your area. And he knew what to do to help you. I understand you feel buyer’s remorse right now, perfectly normal. It should pass. By this time next year, it should be a distant memory. Yes, a very bumpy start but hopefully a smooth ride from here on out. For now, stay hydrate, walk and rest. You need to heal.

1–Yes, you HAVE had unique complications, no doubt about that. But you are addressing most of that.

2– I suspect that you were expecting something like having a wisdom tooth out. That didn’t happen. In my non-scientific opinion, you MIGHT HAVE HAD an unrealistic idea of what you were getting into. You were run over by the entire Canadian Trucker Blockade and then, a couple hundred Hell’s Angels ran over you, going in the opposite direction. (The truckers are the DS, the motorcycles are the complications.). My BMI was probably right about where yours was; I was twice your age; and for eleven weeks I was pretty sure I had made the worst decision of my life, if we don’t include some sketchy guys from my youth (you’ll have to ask Larra about those…I’m not talking.) Sooo, I don’t think you are YET at a place where you can judge if this was a good idea for you. Given your complications, and where you are in recovery, you may have an entirely different opinion in a few more weeks.

3–Back in the day, if there were no obvious problems, the surgeons didn’t care much about labs until at,least three months out…maybe six. They felt that labs would be wonky for a few months. But THAT…your labs…are where you will gather your “advice” on why you might be having certain problems and what you need to take to fix them.

ANYWAY, reread what Larra said. Find out if you have anemia because that can also cause you to feel exhausted and unable to do most anything physical. And give up on the rapid recovery idea and move into “it took me years to get to almost 400 pounds, I can give this a few months” mode. EVENTUALLY, you will be back on Daddy Duty, but better than that, you’ll be around for their HS graduations, waving as they move off to college or to their own homes and all the stuff you’d have missed because dragging an extra 200 pounds around caused you severe disability or death.

PS…this soon after surgery, two ounces of lunch meat was a lot, for me.

Last edited:
what a rough start! I'm so glad you are home and improving, even if much slower than you would like.
:5grouphug:

I'm so sorry to hear about your complications.

Don't feel bad about the tiredness. I didn't have the complications and was exhausted for the first 6 mos. That's when I began to feel half like myself.

First, congratulations on your expanding family!

I'd be remiss not to mention that having a baby and pregnant spouse with COVID would be a lot to handle absent recovery from major surgery - and, two under two does not bode well for future sleep. My kids are teens and I'm still exhausted from parenting ;)

Sorry it has been so rough. Hoping things smooth out in the coming months and make it all worthwhile!

Sorry for your troubles, good luck. One thing caught my eye

" I hardly have an appetite and hate having to wait a long time after eating to be able to take a drink."

I know this is advice for GB patients, but I don't think you have you wait if you are DS. I'll let others who know better chime in

Georgepds is right. You won't have room for a lot of water after eating, but there is no rule against it for the DS. Just sip slowly and carefully. And stop immediately if you feel the least bit full. There is definitely a learning curve with eating and drinking post-op.

Here's something to look forward to:

Your body is pretty damned strong from carrying your fat carcass around. You've got MUSCLES (plus, you're male and young). The surgery and complications and blood loss and being bedridden for the better part of a month have sapped your endurance. BUT ...

There will come a day, soon, where your physical recuperation (blood regeneration, healing in general, plus starting to walk more each day, as well as getting the nutritional complexities figured out (are you drinking protein shakes to make up for what you can't eat?)) will turn into a positive directional vector, which will cross with the negative directional vector representing your weight loss (and the less fat carcass you're toting around, and suddenly, you are going to feel SOO much better, and SOOOO strong, that you will start singing Maria's song from West Side Story, with lyrics appropriately modified to reflect how you don't feel fat or weak anymore (and then imagine me at age 50, traipsing around London on vacation when my spurt of energy finally kicked in, 3 months after surgery):

I feel pretty
Oh so pretty
I feel pretty and witty and gay
And I pity
Any girl who isn't me today

I feel charming
Oh so charming
It's alarming how charming I feel
And so pretty
That I hardly can believe I'm real

See the pretty girl in that mirror there?
Who can that attractive girl be?
Such a pretty face
Such a pretty dress
Such a pretty smile
Such a pretty me!

I feel stunning
And entrancing
Feel like running
And dancing for joy
For I'm loved
By a pretty wonderful boy

Have you met my good friend Maria
The craziest girl on the block?
You'll know her the minute you see her
She's the one who is in an advanced state of shock
She thinks she's in love
She thinks she's in Spain
She isn't in love
She's merely insane

It must be the heat
Or some rare disease
Or too much to eat
Or maybe it's fleas

Keep away from her
Send for Chino
This is not the Maria we know
Modest and pure
Polite and refined
Well-bred and mature
And out of her mind!

Miss America, Miss America, speech!
Miss America, bravo, speech!

I feel pretty
Oh so pretty
That the city should give me its key
A committee
Should be organized to honour me

I feel dizzy
I feel sunny
I feel fizzy and funny and fine
And so pretty
Miss America can just resign

See the pretty girl in that mirror there
(What mirror, where?)
Who can that attractive girl be?
(Which, what, where, whom?)
Such a pretty face
Such a pretty dress
Such a pretty smile
Such a pretty me!

I feel stunning
And entrancing
Feel like running and dancing for joy
For I'm loved
By a pretty wonderful boy

Hi all - sorry for the delayed response. Of course as you can probably guess I have had a lot going on and not a ton of time/energy to devote to getting on the computer :p , but I did read all your replies and I'm thankful for the encouragement!

Things are slowly but surely improving. As I had mentioned before (well, I think I did...) probably the biggest issue has been low RBC/Hemoglobin counts stemming from all the blood loss I experienced. And an elevated WBC count in the days thereafter and in my hospital stay.
My surgeon had me get a small bit of blood work done just to make sure things were headed the right direction and thankfully they are.
On March 1 my counts were as follows:

WBC - 10.4 10*3/uL (down from 16.3 on 1/18/22)
RBC - 4.28 10*6/uL (up from 2.96)
HGB - 10.2 g/dL (up from 8.1)
HCT - 34.9% (up from 26%)

For some context:
WBC was about 8.2 in pre-op labs and got all the way up to ~26 immediately post-op (Which i guess is pretty serious, lol)
RBC was 6.0 pre-op
HGB was 15.7
HCT was 48.9%

So while not everything is back to where it should be, at least things are going the right way.

And even though I am not feeling great (and probably can admit that some of it is due to not eating enough in the early goings) I am officially down over 100lbs from when I started with the surgical program. Back in August/Sept I weighed 397lb. The day before surgery I weighed in at 347lb, and then I guess from getting all pumped up with fluids and stuff I was back up to something like 380 immediately post-op. Today I am clocking in at 289lb, which is pretty crazy to me. Like I said, I still feel pretty crummy, but it's crazy to me to be out of the "threes!" I never really thought I would see myself with a weight starting with a "2" again. I am down a shirt size or two (depends on fit) and about two pant sizes so far.

It's definitely been a weird adjustment. As many have found for themselves...I get colder a lot easier. And now, I guess since I have less padding... I find myself getting sore or uncomfortable in chairs and stuff a lot easier :p And it's also a bit odd to see how some areas seem to have slimmed down really quickly while others lag behind a little bit. Just weird things too. Like, my ankles and feet got noticeably skinnier really quickly. I got a lot more definition in my face, neck, and collarbone area really fast, and my wrists seem to have shrank overnight, and it feels like I don't have any hips at all anymore, lol. But then spots like my chest, calves, and thighs all seem to not have changed a ton, so it's just kinda weird. But I am hoping that things will "Even out" a bit with time.

Anyways, I still feel like I am probably only like 30% back to "normal" but am happy to say that I'm definitely feeling a lot better overall. I still struggle sometimes to get enough food in each day. I haven't found too many things that are intolerable, but I also find that it just takes me a really, really long time to finish a meal - like 30 minutes minimum. I suspect that is actually fairly normal, but it's been a big adjustment as pre-op I was always a really fast eater, so that's been tricky. I am doing better lately about getting my protein intake up, which I think has helped. I am for 100g per day, but it's still tricky a lot of the times to get there. If I'm being honest I probably average closer to 75g or so, but am working on doing some more meal planning and finding quick protein-snacks that are allowing me to get that number up more consistently. And I am still in the process of transitioning out of the chewable all-in-one "bariatric" vitamins to something closer to the Vitalady plan, which I think will help out too. I generally do okay with getting in my vitamins, but I find I have a much easier time with just swallowing a handful of pills rather than having to eat a bunch of chewables each day - it just feels like a chore, whereas with 'regular' pills you can just pop 'em real fast and be done with it. So I'm feeling some improvement there, too.

So, all that to say, again - thanks for all the encouragement. I think better days are ahead and I'm glad to say that things are a lot better now than they were when I first posted this!

You're doing so much better, more so than you realize. A lot of what you are experiencing now is the same as what all of us have experienced in the immediate post-op phase. It's a huge adjustment.
Hang in there, keep on taking those vitamins and minerals. One of these days you will suddenly notice that you actually feel good, and then the next realization will be that you feel better than you did before your surgery. It's going to happen. It just takes time.

It's definitely been a weird adjustment. As many have found for themselves...I get colder a lot easier. And now, I guess since I have less padding... I find myself getting sore
those changes are weird! you just have to give yourself lots of time to adjust: the body changes much faster than the mind can understand those changes. perfectly normal.

I'm glad to say that things are a lot better now than they were when I first posted this
an excellent report, so glad things are so well for you! :)

Latest posts

Back