Baga's Hip Replacement NEW *** UPDATE

Yes @newanatomy ! I went into this to be able to keep up with my grandkids without hip pain, and am now worse off. I have to believe this is temporary. I have a 4-day Disneyland extravaganza planned for the 5 of us on October 17th and am getting worried about making it happen now. I will use a wheelchair if I must, but this is just not what I signed up for.
Thanks for your well wishes!

That gives you a few weeks of healing time. I really believe you will feel good enough to go and enjoy. I wish you were already 100%.

Hang in there Pam. I hate that you are battling this and can empathize with doing something for your health only to have it go the other way at least temporarily.

Hoping for it to be rapidly resolved, whatever its source may prove to be. Hang in there!

Thought I would post an update.
After MRI and now CT scan, results 'seem' to indicate that the screw used to hold the cup in place is too near my sciatic nerve.

IMPRESSION:
Partially imaged right total hip arthroplasty. Posterior acetabular
screw extends through the cortex of the posterior acetabulum in the
region of the right sciatic nerve

I have a telephone appointment with the surgeon on Thursday and I have questions. When I spoke with him after the MRI which indicated the same possible problem, he said he would not want to go in again to take out or replace the screw. I agreed with him. They would need to disassemble the entire hip to reach/replace the screw and I am just not willing to take the chance of further damage. I want to know why the screw protrudes so far and was it the right size for my body???

While the back of my thigh is still numb, my foot is feeling a bit less numb. I am driving now, went back to work 3 weeks ago and gave up using the cane last Friday (but do use it in the hallways to remind students to keep their distances!) Sitting can be painful and I'm sure having no fat on my butt doesn't help, but I keep thinking that I'm sitting on the screw!

Things do seem to be looking up and if the screw is irritating my nerve, I am hoping that there is still residual swelling that will eventually go away. We'll see what the doctor suggests!

I am glad things are getting better Pam.

That being said, I would not be a happy camper if I was you because this seems to me like the surgeon really screwed up unnecessarily. I could be wrong, but I would have thought that imaging and simple math would be in place to make sure that type of mistake didn't happen best wishes for a full recovery.

Pardon me for injecting a little levity, but Scott's wording made me giggle:

"this seems to me like the surgeon really screwed up"

Sounds to me like that he didn't screw it up (or in) enough?

Thought I would post an update.
After MRI and now CT scan, results 'seem' to indicate that the screw used to hold the cup in place is too near my sciatic nerve.

IMPRESSION:
Partially imaged right total hip arthroplasty. Posterior acetabular
screw extends through the cortex of the posterior acetabulum in the
region of the right sciatic nerve

I have a telephone appointment with the surgeon on Thursday and I have questions. When I spoke with him after the MRI which indicated the same possible problem, he said he would not want to go in again to take out or replace the screw. I agreed with him. They would need to disassemble the entire hip to reach/replace the screw and I am just not willing to take the chance of further damage. I want to know why the screw protrudes so far and was it the right size for my body???

While the back of my thigh is still numb, my foot is feeling a bit less numb. I am driving now, went back to work 3 weeks ago and gave up using the cane last Friday (but do use it in the hallways to remind students to keep their distances!) Sitting can be painful and I'm sure having no fat on my butt doesn't help, but I keep thinking that I'm sitting on the screw!

Things do seem to be looking up and if the screw is irritating my nerve, I am hoping that there is still residual swelling that will eventually go away. We'll see what the doctor suggests!

Mixed bag: Good you're making improvements, however gradual. Bad the doctor may have screwed up (pun intended) and that the fix may not be worth the risk. Here's hoping the issue continues to improve. Maybe you can sue Kaiser and use the money to get an awesome Brazilian butt procedure. Then you'll have plenty of seat cushion.

Glad the numbness is receding. As for your butt, maybe a butt cushion?

I hope that there is some swelling that will continue to recede and give you relief. Sorry this has been such a bear!

Latest posts

Back