Baga's Hip Replacement NEW *** UPDATE

My foot remains numb and the nerve pain can be unbearable at night. The revision surgery was on 8/7, so at a month out, I have been fighting some depression about the condition of my foot. I do think there is some improvement over the past week, however (since they took the staples out). I have not been woken up with nerve pain for the last 4 nights and I do seem to have a bit more feeling in my foot. It's not completely numb, just feels like a have a tight boot on at times or a band around my ankle. It is often painful/numb.
It does sound like the nerves ARE healing...it takes a long time for them to heal. Good luck with the neuro.

I so hope you get this foot thing resolved very quickly. You have been put through the wringer with this replacement. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Well had the EMG nerve test. Painful but tolerable. 3 of the 4 major nerves to my foot show damage. Sciatic neuropathy and sural neuropathy indicated. Next step will be an MRI of thoracic and lumbar spine and pelvis to see if there is sciatic nerve entrapment. I feel this could be a possibility because my butt cheek and back of my thigh are also numb. My calf is so tight it's hard to walk and my foot is still numb.
Maybe deep gluteal sciatic impingement. What do I know?? My hip is great, but the trade off is not what I want to live with. :ahhhhhhh:
Trying to remain hopeful. At least the nighttime nerve pain has stopped.

Oh, my goodness. Was that caused by the THR? Or is it completely separate?

Well had the EMG nerve test. Painful but tolerable. 3 of the 4 major nerves to my foot show damage. Sciatic neuropathy and sural neuropathy indicated. Next step will be an MRI of thoracic and lumbar spine and pelvis to see if there is sciatic nerve entrapment. I feel this could be a possibility because my butt cheek and back of my thigh are also numb. My calf is so tight it's hard to walk and my foot is still numb.
Maybe deep gluteal sciatic impingement. What do I know?? My hip is great, but the trade off is not what I want to live with. :ahhhhhhh:
Trying to remain hopeful. At least the nighttime nerve pain has stopped.

I'm lost in all the medical terms, but is the "Sciatic neuropathy and sural neuropathy" permanent damage, or is there hope for improvement? Please tell me it's the latter...:speechless:

Mark, I so wish I knew the answer to that. If the MRI shows there is something pressing on the sciatic nerve (hematoma, scar tissue, etc) causing the numbness and other symptoms, they can go in and decompress that. I am very nervous about having yet another procedure, yet to me that would sort of be a relief. If it is just straight up damage, I was told it COULD heal, but would take months to years, with no guarantee.

I'm glad to hear the test was tolerable, I know you were really dreading it, as I would have been too! It's hard to know if you were given good news or not, isn't it? I'm thinking that during the dislocation and moving around of things doing the second surgery to fix you up the sciatic nerve was pinched by something and just needs to be freed so to speak. Some of us have sciatic nerves that are embedded more than others peoples (that's how mine is and it does tend to cause more problems that way). Stay positive for a complete recovery from this, I really do feel it's very possible.

Thank you Susan. Yes, I just can't know where this is headed as I get conflicting information ('nerves don't heal', 'nerves can heal, but take a long time', etc). A part of me hopes there is some kind of sciatic impingement or entrapment that can be released and resolve all of this! Your encouragement really helps! :D

Thank you Susan. Yes, I just can't know where this is headed as I get conflicting information ('nerves don't heal', 'nerves can heal, but take a long time', etc). A part of me hopes there is some kind of sciatic impingement or entrapment that can be released and resolve all of this! Your encouragement really helps! :D

Me, too. Here's to sciatic impingement! Thinking of you...

Latest posts

Back