Baga's Hip Replacement NEW *** UPDATE

Thank you so much, Scott. Yes, that is really my main question about the revision.
Right now I am just chomping at the bit waiting for my food! Don't think I've ever been so hungry!!!!
❤️

I bet you are. Hopefully they have decent food there and they let you order as much and as often as you need.

Well, revision is scheduled for Sunday. Just spoke with my surgeon. He is also baffled as to why I dislocated. He says because I am so small the implant could have leveraged slightly against itself and pushed the ball out. He will know more when he goes in. They will increase the size of the insert in the cup first, maybe increase the length of the stem which holds the ball if needed and last course would be to change out the whole implant for a different type and rotate it to another angle. All of these things will be decided once they get in. I will have 2 experienced revision surgeons performing this revision do feel somewhat confident.
My blood counts are low and possibility of transfusion is high which means longer hospital stay. Maybe I'll get lucky and not need one and get out Tuesday.
This lying around waiting is hard, but going back up to the mountains and risking another dislocation is definitely worse. I'm just eating myself into distraction (and taking lots of stool softeners!)

Best wishes for a successful revision. I like your distraction plan; sounds good. Well, the food part. The stool softeners are a necessary evil I suppose.

Hang in there and get the transfusion of needed to get your strength up. I would ask them to check your DS labs while in there so they can infuse/inject if needed. Having your D&K in really good shape will promote better healing.

It soonds like you have a good team on your case. Come on Sunday!

Thanks @k9ophile !
Good idea, Scott. I am curious about the K. They have been giving me daily Lovenox injections and say I will continue those when I get home. Those are to thin blood and prevent clots so wouldn't my K be contraindicated?

I would say you would possibly need it so your blood isn't too thin, but ptt/inr will tell them what to do. I am sure they are checking that.

Haha! Yes and that's not all! They had to cut my undies off! Hospital gown is so drafty! (Not pretty)
Just saying, when your hip is dislocated you really don't care or think about anything else just pain relief!
I doubt if missing my vites for 4 days will be horrible. I'll just push up my D for a few weeks. I've just very rarely missed in 4 years.

Dang straight....feeling good is what is important. :D

I always freak out about vites when I am in the hospital, too. Yeah you will be fine but if they can boost you that would be great..

Well, my hip is great, but the revision surgery damaged some nerves. My foot remains numb and the nerve pain can be unbearable at night. The revision surgery was on 8/7, so at a month out, I have been fighting some depression about the condition of my foot. I do think there is some improvement over the past week, however (since they took the staples out). I have not been woken up with nerve pain for the last 4 nights and I do seem to have a bit more feeling in my foot. It's not completely numb, just feels like a have a tight boot on at times or a band around my ankle. It is often painful/numb. Still can't drive so that makes me crazy.
My dislocation was a rarity as it came out anteriorly (the front) and not because I did anything wrong. The ball turned onto the stem and it pushed itself out. This dislocation is very uncommon. If it hadn't happened, I would be on my merry way with a great new hip and no pain! I think I would have been back to work in 4 weeks. I am still out on medical leave.
I do remain hopeful and know that nerves take a long time to heal. I just need to be patient. I do have a nerve test consultation with the neurologist this Friday to set up an EMG. We will see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back