Keeping warm

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
I'm so cold!
This is bizarre to me, for the first time in my life, to not be hot & sweaty All. The. Time.

Last winter, it started, but wasn't this bad. Plus, I still had about 100 pounds more on me last Christmas. I just started using a microwaveable heating pad for my feet and/or hands when going to sleep. I apparently warm up as I sleep because if I start out bundled up, I wake up in a puddle of sweat, but this has been helping to keep the shivering away as I fall asleep.

So what are your tips for keeping warm? Especially when you're actually doing things and can't be under a blanket or holding a heating pad?

Wow, have you had labs done recently? I'm always cold because I'm anemic.

I might have to try the heating pad to warm up

I wear a lot of wool clothing, and layers. Many layers. During our coldest time last winter, I was working in an old, damp building and was in misery. I did shapewear, tights, thermal longjohns, slacks and wool socks on the bottom, undershirt, turtleneck, wool or cashmere sweater and wool blazer or cardigan on top, and a pashmina scarf looped around my neck at all times, ready to be deployed as a shawl. I had a throw in reserve, too.

LAYERS!!! And start with a good base layer. (Cuddl Duds has a silk base layer that is great and easily fits under clothes)
We just got some flannel sheets...it's helping. I am one who simply can NOT abide something on my feet at night. Last winter, I stuck a heating pad at the foot of the bed and that helped. (and the cats LOVED me). But like you, I get hot if I am too layered up at night. I start out cold and during the night go hot, cold, hot, cold.

I'm not anemic (had iron infusions 2 months ago now) and I am still cold.

My SKINNY daughter always complained of being cold in the winter...now I understand!

I have been doing more layers, but I think I need to get some that are specifically meant for base layers for warmth, not just layering outer layers. And @Charris I'm due to get them rechecked, so we'll see!

I battle cold as well now, but I have been mildly anemic for quite a while now. I think the anemia may be improving this past week as I have been less cold this past week.

Uggs will really keep your feet warm! I have a pair I wear as house slippers too!
I have a pair of uggs and 2 pairs of emus that I could never wear without feeling like I was going to burst into a ball of flames. I've been wearing them almost every day, and around the house too!
@DSRIGGS happy to hear of improvements!

I'm finally not as cold as I was, but still can be chilly in the 70's if the outside is cold- walls radiate cold and I feel it! Cuddlduds, super warm fuzzy ones if I'm out hiking/camping or Wintersilks silk layers for under dress clothes/regular clothes- they make all sort of thicknesses- from see-thru (which still keeps you warm) to thicker- and they breathe well. I'm sure other manufacturers make the silk undergear too- but these are the ones I've used. I've got a bunch of odds & ends that Todd & I share (tops-wise.)

I am totally with you on this! I freeze now whereas, I used to always be miserably hot. I never have less than two shirts on. I love that scarves are "in" because, they really add a layer of comfort and warmth. Plus, they are fun accessories! My hubby has also lost a bunch of weight since my surgery. It makes my life a lot easier because he is cold now too.

Not for sleeping but flannel lined jeans are nice when outside
Dh and I are looking into those...while his size is fairly easy (most men ARE) finding a pair ONLINE as a female is HARD. I wear a varity of sizes depending on WHO made it and whether it's all cotton denim or a mix with some stretchy material added.

Latest posts

Back