TV: what shows are you watching, and how?

I assume that's this site, I will check it out - thank you, Liz!

I'll be interested in what you find out.

I am finding so much to watch on Britbox I will never see it all so not tempted to pay for acorn but a free month could be fun. :unsure:
My mother is loving her Britbox, too. I was over there yesterday and she said she was able to watch 1 hour of BritBox w/o it buffering so I didn't order Acorn. However, if it begins happening again we'll order the Acorn for a month the next time I'm there and possibly a wifi extender.

I've been thinking about an extender. What I don't understand is why BritBox worked fine for 2 weeks and then started the buffering problem. Before I buy a wifi extender I may get Acorn TV for a month to see if it's a BritBox or a wifi issue.
Take your laptop/tablet into the room with your TV in it. Run a speed test(ookla) and look at your wifi throughput.

I just saw Acorn offered again on Prime but now it was a one-week free trial instead of one month. :(

for anyone interested in watching Picard, CBS all access is currently having a free trial. as of yesterday; no idea how long it will last.

I just watched two seasons of Hidden on Acorn - Charles' pick. It was good if you like detective/PD small town stories.

Take your laptop/tablet into the room with your TV in it. Run a speed test(ookla) and look at your wifi throughput.
That's a good idea. I will do that. Right now, she's not watching anything streaming as she just got her power back and is enjoying cable. :D

UPDATE: BritBox began buffering 5 minutes in. When I go over there (probably Sunday) I'll bring my tablet to run the speed test.

Last edited:
I've been watching Poirot on Britbox and it's awesome. I recall seeing the same actor playing Poirtot on PBS but seems like he was less dignified or something. (it was still excellent)

I just saw Acorn offered again on Prime but now it was a one-week free trial instead of one month. :(

for anyone interested in watching Picard, CBS all access is currently having a free trial. as of yesterday; no idea how long it will last.

We had Acorn for, I think, $5/mo added to Prime. But then…we changed cell phone carriers and they included Prime for free. But, we couldn't add to that. So now we are going without most of those.

We like all the detective stuff. Murdoch Mysteries and The Heart Guy (not a mystery) were favorites. But we also watched Doc Martin and other Martin Clunes shows, Agatha Raisin, Miss Fisher’s Mysteries, Rumpole of the Bailey, were “trying on” 800 Words, and more.

currently watching plutoTV online which is free (with commercials) and has a bazillion channels, most of which I have no interest in.

but I did watch America's Test Kitchen and I'm pretty sure there will be more to watch if I can figure out the stupid schedule.

wheeeeee!

Munchkin Just ran it. The d/l next to the router is 65.6Mbps. The d/l in the bedroom is 56.8Mbps. About a 10 point drop. Upload in the bedroom is actually higher. But I wanted your opinion regarding the d/l and an WiFi extender.

Last edited:
Munchkin Just ran it. The d/l next to the router is 65.6Mbps. The d/l in the bedroom is 56.8Mbps. About a 10 point drop. Upload in the bedroom is actually higher. But I wanted your opinion regarding the d/l and an WiFi extender.
I need more data! What speed are you paying for and are you getting close to that speed on a wired connection(ethernet)? Are you getting what you are paying for in the first place? A 10mbps drop from at the router to the TV in another room is not horrible but you can probably lose less if you have a repeater/extender.

Last edited:
Munchkin She's paying for 200 Mbps according to the bill I just accessed.

Thank goodness for Google Desktop Remote, I can run her Ethernet speed from my computer. :D. Here's a pic of the Ethernet speed test.2397 speed test I just ran on her laptop.

Latest posts

Back