TV: what shows are you watching, and how?

JackieOnLine

Staff member
I don't own a TV currently but stream shows on my netbook, which sits in my lap. (this is only one reason my posture has recently gotten worse, another one is I've been sleeping on an inflatable mattress since I moved to Oregon almost a year ago)

I have Prime (but will cancel when the year is up) and Britbox (which I will keep) and am in a 7 day free trial of HBO that I was using to re-watch Band of Brothers and some movies (and I won't keep HBO, totally not worth $15/month)

currently I am binge watching Cranford, on Britbox, and I love it.

for the years I lived in Nevada I watched over the air TV and it was great. I got PBS and some other channels and it was completely free, as TV should be! but where I live now (in the Columbia River Gorge, too far from Portland) getting over the air channels would require a really big antenna. that's why I didn't buy a TV: I don't want to pay for cable. I didn't really understand streaming until I started doing it last winter.

instead of editing I'm just going to post again: I feel like I understand all the options for TV so little that when I ask questions of people online I don't understand the answers. I checked and they haven't written a book called "TV for Dummies" but I could use it.

almost no experiece with Roku and Firestick (what do we call that category, anyway?) and why do they still exist now that there are "smart" TVs?

it's all so complicated! eventually I'm going to want to buy a TV but for right now, I just want to know how you are doing it.

especially those of you who are mobile, like Liz and sometimes Diana.

We're having tremendous trouble w/my mother's Roku. It keeps heating up. I'm going to bring her my older version and see if that helps. BritBox keeps buffering and we're wondering if it's the heated up Roku.

If that doesn't work, we'll probably just get her a Smart TV. She has an HDTV but it isn't smart. If you're going to buy a Smart TV we're looking at Samsung as they advertise they keep adding new apps.

We have an Amazon fire stick which gives us apps that aren’t part of a typical smart tv, like Haystack.
we have access to Netflix thru the daughter who shares her account info with us. We got Disney Plus for free for a year last year, watched almost everything on it already. We use Amazon Prime because of the vitamins but access to movies/tv shows is a nice benefit.
Our “internet“ access is thru a Verizon prepaid jet pack that is grandfathered in as unlimited. And a Sprint one thru FMCA (an RV’ sure group) that we rent from them monthly that is also unlimited.
We also have an OTA antenna that works, depending on where we are. It’s a directional so we have apps on our phones to find antennas.

Currently watching Absentie with hubby, thru Amazon. I’m also watching Merlin on Netflix myself.

we'll probably just get her a Smart TV

smart people on other forums advise against this, but I didn't understand why. I guess because the "smartness" of it goes out of date before you would want to buy an entire new TV.

if her Roku heats up, shouldn't they replace the device? I honestly don't know, is it something you buy and then need another one when it stops working right? because that seems wrong.

Our “internet“ access is thru a Verizon prepaid jet pack that is grandfathered in as unlimited. And a Sprint one thru FMCA (an RV’ sure group) that we rent from them monthly that is also unlimited.

sounds sweet! I had a hotspot once and they are wonderful, but now they cost too much for what you need for streaming. is a jet pack like a hot spot?

I've never heard of Haystack.

today I am going to be kept happy (well, less unhappy!) because I know at the end of it I can come home and - when the damn handyman is done - I can relax and watch Cranford which is charming and fun and made me cry a couple times.

sounds sweet! I had a hotspot once and they are wonderful, but now they cost too much for what you need for streaming. is a jet pack like a hot spot?
A jet pack is a hot spot. It’s Verizon’s version of a mifi which is AT&T‘s name for it. And yes, they can be expensive unless you are lucky enough to find an unlimited plan. In a house/apt I’d go with a standard cable internet if possible. Less likely to be throttled like cell phone data can be.

Amazon Prime, just because I'm a member for shipping, etc. Netflix for about a year, maybe longer. On the fence about cnacelling. Hulu for about 6 weeks and am seriously considering cancelling.

Been curious about Britbox as I search for Brithish shows on the ones I do use.

smart people on other forums advise against this, but I didn't understand why. I guess because the "smartness" of it goes out of date before you would want to buy an entire new TV.

if her Roku heats up, shouldn't they replace the device? I honestly don't know, is it something you buy and then need another one when it stops working right? because that seems wrong...
From what I understand Samsung offers the ability to load new apps on their Smart TVs.

I agree re: Roku heating up, but they say it's normal. I disagree as it's really hot. However, I took my old Roku to her home yesterday and the buffering kept happening on BritBox. I've copied a page with some tips re: buffering issues and I'll try those but if it's an issue, say, the Router is too far away from her television it may be insurmountable right now.

From what I understand Samsung offers the ability to load new apps on their Smart TVs.

I agree re: Roku heating up, but they say it's normal. I disagree as it's really hot. However, I took my old Roku to her home yesterday and the buffering kept happening on BritBox. I've copied a page with some tips re: buffering issues and I'll try those but if it's an issue, say, the Router is too far away from her television it may be insurmountable right now.
Get a WIFI extender. Really just a repeater. It will help. Not expensive either.

I am another one who won't buy a 'smart' TV. That TV will be really dumb by the time it quits working. And who wants to replace a whole TV because it's app capability is outdated? Same thing with computers. I use my computer HD for nothing. I keep everything I want in a separate SSD.

Amazon Prime, just because I'm a member for shipping, etc. Netflix for about a year, maybe longer. On the fence about cnacelling. Hulu for about 6 weeks and am seriously considering cancelling.

Been curious about Britbox as I search for Brithish shows on the ones I do use.

I love Britbox but it only has a 7 day free trial (through Prime if that matters) whereas Acorn (also British TV) has a 30 day free trial! the only reason I haven't tried it is I have more than enough to watch right now.

Get a WIFI extender. Really just a repeater. It will help. Not expensive either.

I'd never heard of that, I wonder if it would solve my zoom problem?

I am another one who won't buy a 'smart' TV. That TV will be really dumb by the time it quits working. And who wants to replace a whole TV because it's app capability is outdated? Same thing with computers. I use my computer HD for nothing. I keep everything I want in a separate SSD.

I want to know more about consumer electronics like you and Liz do. I honestly was hoping to find a "TV for Dummies" book.

I've been thinking about an extender. What I don't understand is why BritBox worked fine for 2 weeks and then started the buffering problem. Before I buy a wifi extender I may get Acorn TV for a month to see if it's a BritBox or a wifi issue.

Last edited:
Not a book but there are articles printed by PC Magazine. It’s where I’ve gotten most of my info.

I assume that's this site, I will check it out - thank you, Liz!

I've been thinking about an extender. What I don't understand is why BritBox worked fine for 2 weeks and then started the buffering problem. Before I buy a wifi extender I may get Acorn TV for a month to see if it's a BritBox or a
wifi issue.

I'll be interested in what you find out.

I am finding so much to watch on Britbox I will never see it all so not tempted to pay for acorn but a free month could be fun. :unsure:

Latest posts

Back