Took a long break but back to the bathroom reno

Spent the last few days pulling out the window in the vanity area that will remain. But had to take it out to strip it. Started stripping today and discovered it needs reglazing. We are also going to use an exterior oil based paint on it. The outside is exposed to the elements even with a storm window up there.

Dh stripped the window frame and sanded it today.

Still stripping trim...we have wandered to the window and I discovered I need to reglaze. So I will take the glass panes out and then strip the wood. Repaint it and then put the window panes back in. I just need to be VERY careful doing this in order to NOT break the glass.

I think I counted up to 8 layers of paint...the last one was latex over oil and we think the first one was milk paint.

Updated the photo album. I tiled yesterday (dh handles the tile saw) and I grouted today. Dh helped wipe it off and clean it up.

Last week, our contractor had a guy in to help do the picture rail (looks like crown molding but it is slightly away from the ceiling). And reinstall the window that I had painted and reglazed. Also painting one side of the door. Outside is gonna remain beige but the inside needed to be white.

Well, the vanity is installed. Most of the trim is done. Bathroom door is re-hung. "Peter Rabbit" room is repainted,

Now, I need to tile the shower and then they will come back in and finish the details. They were nice enough to install two ledger boards (so I can tile against a straight line up the wall) before finishing. I will butt up the bull nose tile against it and then go around the shower.

We added the "jewelry" in the bathroom...the hand towel hanger, the toilet paper holder, the towel bar, the robe hooks.

After almost 2 weeks of false starts and trying to find someone to tile the shower, I finally said the hell with it, WE are doing it. Started yesterday and it IS a PITA. I have to back butter EVERY damned tile. The first 6 rows were done sitting on my butt in the shower pan and after a few hours, my hips hated me. Got 6 rows in yesterday. Started back today aiming to get to the bottom of the window and I did. And except for the first 2 rows, I was able to sit on a stool and tile. Now I am up to the point of standing. That will be the next 8-10 rows, maybe before having to work on a step stool. We also got the first of two shelves attached. They both have to go in the same corner, one is at the bottom of the window lever (about my waist), the next one will be about my shoulder level. I did get all but the very top piece of the bull nose tile added. Have to get the 6 ft. ladder out to measure those two pieces. (Having 9 ft ceilings is a pain when painting and tiling.

But we are done for the week as we head out Tues to visit the kids/grand kids. Will be home on Sat and next Sun, I can start back. I probably have two to three more days of tiling ahead (MY speed). THEN we can clean up and get stuff packed so we can bring in a realtor to list the house.

There is a house on this street that JUST went on the market. Except for size (they are just over 1800 sq ft, we have just over 2000) and lot size (theirs is .29, ours is .32). Their listing price is 289,900!!!! That's $161 per sq foot. At that price, ours comes in at $322,000. NO way ours is worth that much. I sure as hell would not have paid that much for it. But if we can start at $224,900 (breaking point of $225K is just above that, that would still give us a nice profit.

We added the "jewelry" in the bathroom...the hand towel hanger, the toilet paper holder, the towel bar, the robe hooks.

After almost 2 weeks of false starts and trying to find someone to tile the shower, I finally said the hell with it, WE are doing it. Started yesterday and it IS a PITA. I have to back butter EVERY damned tile. The first 6 rows were done sitting on my butt in the shower pan and after a few hours, my hips hated me. Got 6 rows in yesterday. Started back today aiming to get to the bottom of the window and I did. And except for the first 2 rows, I was able to sit on a stool and tile. Now I am up to the point of standing. That will be the next 8-10 rows, maybe before having to work on a step stool. We also got the first of two shelves attached. They both have to go in the same corner, one is at the bottom of the window lever (about my waist), the next one will be about my shoulder level. I did get all but the very top piece of the bull nose tile added. Have to get the 6 ft. ladder out to measure those two pieces. (Having 9 ft ceilings is a pain when painting and tiling.

But we are done for the week as we head out Tues to visit the kids/grand kids. Will be home on Sat and next Sun, I can start back. I probably have two to three more days of tiling ahead (MY speed). THEN we can clean up and get stuff packed so we can bring in a realtor to list the house.

There is a house on this street that JUST went on the market. Except for size (they are just over 1800 sq ft, we have just over 2000) and lot size (theirs is .29, ours is .32). Their listing price is 289,900!!!! That's $161 per sq foot. At that price, ours comes in at $322,000. NO way ours is worth that much. I sure as hell would not have paid that much for it. But if we can start at $224,900 (breaking point of $225K is just above that, that would still give us a nice profit.
You never know Liz. We bought our home in Chandler, AZ new for $270K in 2002 and put in $35k worth of a beautiful pool loaded with in floor cleaning system, big Rock waterfall, led lighting, pebbletec finish (beautiful river pebble that shimmers in water and lasts much longer than plaster), in floor cleaning system, lots of cool deck and really nice landscaping for the entire yard. When we listed 3 years later I thought $349k. When our discount broker told us that he thought we should list at $439k I told him I thought that was way too high but he convinced us to humor him. 3 weeks later we were under contract for $429k. BTW our neighbors who had very similar told me that when they saw what we listed for that they thought we were insane but that when it went under contract they had an instant orgasm. :D

You never know Liz. We bought our home in Chandler, AZ new for $270K in 2002 and put in $35k worth of a beautiful pool loaded with in floor cleaning system, big Rock waterfall, led lighting, pebbletec finish (beautiful river pebble that shimmers in water and lasts much longer than plaster), in floor cleaning system, lots of cool deck and really nice landscaping for the entire yard. When we listed 3 years later I thought $349k. When our discount broker told us that he thought we should list at $439k I told him I thought that was way too high but he convinced us to humor him. 3 weeks later we were under contract for $429k. BTW our neighbors who had very similar told me that when they saw what we listed for that they thought we were insane but that when it went under contract they had an instant orgasm. :D
I can hope!
We have a realtor in mind. She's a REMAX broker in town but has access to a nationwide network.

We will see what she says.

Updated photbucket link...the last 12 (end of page 2 and all of 3 are the new ones). http://s2.photobucket.com/user/southernlady5464/library/Bathroom Renovation 2016

FIVE days of tiling...esp with a bum arm. I only hold it with the left and do most of the work with my right (left is the one hurting). At 1PM today, dh goes, time to quit. I said hell no, it's only 1! Did quit at 3...both of us wiped out. Told him I was making an executive decision...we were eating supper OUT! We also need to go to Home Depot for another quart of mastic and can return 2 boxes of tiles. Have three unopened and need maybe half of that.

If you look along the top of the shower stall, that part will be tiled with bull nose tile to make a nice finish.

And I told Rick to bring his crew back in on Monday...they are gonna do the grouting for me. (I found my magic wand) and finish up...so yeah, I was hoping to be done by Christmas and now it looks like the end of this coming week!

Oh and we mentioned selling the house to the neighborhood/town busybody! She said the new town manager was looking to move into tis area...so we may have a potential buyer even now.

Updated photbucket link...the last 12 (end of page 2 and all of 3 are the new ones). http://s2.photobucket.com/user/southernlady5464/library/Bathroom Renovation 2016

FIVE days of tiling...esp with a bum arm. I only hold it with the left and do most of the work with my right (left is the one hurting). At 1PM today, dh goes, time to quit. I said hell no, it's only 1! Did quit at 3...both of us wiped out. Told him I was making an executive decision...we were eating supper OUT! We also need to go to Home Depot for another quart of mastic and can return 2 boxes of tiles. Have three unopened and need maybe half of that.

If you look along the top of the shower stall, that part will be tiled with bull nose tile to make a nice finish.

And I told Rick to bring his crew back in on Monday...they are gonna do the grouting for me. (I found my magic wand) and finish up...so yeah, I was hoping to be done by Christmas and now it looks like the end of this coming week!

Oh and we mentioned selling the house to the neighborhood/town busybody! She said the new town manager was looking to move into tis area...so we may have a potential buyer even now.
The tile work is gorgeous! Hats off to you for your craftsmanship and good taste :) Will definitely add $$ to the house price if/when you choose to move on. Well done!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back