Took a long break but back to the bathroom reno

Okay, all the sub floor is back down. We've installed some more braces in different areas for ease in dywalling. The electrician has been called but he will be the week after July 4th getting in (he's taking next week OFF).

And need to order my vanity.

Well, today we finished running the water lines. Even tested them after adding a second shut off valve for the shower lines. We have the diverter for the hot and cold mix for the shower and shower head pipe installed. While we have no vanity, toilet, or shower installed...we HAVE water.

I stand in awe, Liz. Honestly. One of our bathrooms is badly in need of modernization (1950 cast iron pipes rusting from the inside out), but I couldn't even imagine tackling it on our own. Would love to see photos for inspiration once it is complete!!!!

I stand in awe, Liz. Honestly. One of our bathrooms is badly in need of modernization (1950 cast iron pipes rusting from the inside out), but I couldn't even imagine tackling it on our own. Would love to see photos for inspiration once it is complete!!!!
Actually I may take a few today of where we are...and I will definitely share once done.

Took photos but haven't stopped long enough to load them to photobucket.

Yesterday we got the vanity and the 2x4x108" for filling in the door, etc that will be closed off. Spent what felt like a bloody fortune at HD even with a 10% coupon.

We are also building shelving for the corner near the bump out we need to hide next to the vanity, put up the brace for the light, we added the studs, etc to the door.

I stopped to bath dogs while dh is cutting the good 1x6 for the base of the shelves.

Tomorrow we call the electrician as he was on vacation last week. And tomorrow the contractor that is going to drywall and fix the hole in the kitchen ceiling next to the light above the sink (he has to do it from above and that is the part where the toilet leak happened.

It's getting there.

Still building the shelves. Had the contractor come by to give us an estimate on the drywall. He's also gonna patch the 6" x 2" hole in the kitchen ceiling (under the bathroom that leaked), and fix the HVAC vents in there. They were huge and the one in the shower room needs to be made smaller. He's also gonna replace the WOODEN window in the shower room so that it is vinyl instead (wood rots when in a wet environment).

And we made TWO trips to Home Depot today.

Yesterday the electrical got done. Dh had an appt down in Spartanburg so I stayed here. When he got home and asked if we had lights up there, I said yes and no. Yes, the electrical is done...no because one, no light bulbs and 2 no switches were installed (we can do that, we just need them).

He's now upstairs using the wet/dry vac to get up the debris. And after coffee, we will finish the insulation in the ceiling and along the interior walls.

Tomorrow is back to building the shelves for storage.

We should be getting the drywall in next week.

AND I found the tile we are gonna use on the floor.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-T...eramic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-FRC8TWEC/205316708 (this is the corner border)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-T...eramic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-FRC8TWEF/205316715 (this is the edge border)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-T...eramic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-FRC8TWEB/205316705 (this is the bulk of the floor)

We are using white bead board as the wainscoting with a chair rail (will match the REST of the house which has chair rails in every other room) and then paint the upper portion, most likely a soft sage green.

Today we got the REST of the insulation on the walls and ceiling. Hot and messy work. I had on long jeans and a long sleeve shirt (Thanking Mr. Carrier for inventing a/c). We had not done the ceiling cause we knew the electrical had to be run. The interior walls were a suggestion from our dry wall contractor to help with noise in adjoining rooms. Okay, so the outside walls had R15, the ceiling was R19 and the interior walls were what was left of the R19, the R15 and we bought R13 as well.

Got a late start today as we had to go get my car out of the shop (bad sensor in the auto lock function, thankfully still under warranty). Went by Home Depot (again...I think we live there), and then off to pick up my milk on the way home.

But we built AND installed the first of the storage shelves we are making. It needs finishing and painting but it is up. We made it of 3/4 inch birch plywood. Five shelves and 76" tall not including the 6" base under it.

Today, we built the second shelving unit. But not fully installed yet. We have it where it needs to be but need to adjust a 2x4 so our dry waller has something to attach to. Top and bottom shelf on but the others are waiting til we are done adjusting.

I've been using lots of my Voltaren on my knees!

Shelving is up. Will finish the details after it's dry walled...which is starting in the morning. So for the next few days, we get to sit and watch.

They got here at 8AM and were well at it shortly after. They got most of it dry walled. Finishing putting up the dry wall tomorrow afternoon and then to the taping and mudding and sanding.

Latest posts

Back