Took a long break but back to the bathroom reno

It's incredible to see how you've stripped everything down to the studs. You are an army of two!!!! I can't wait to see the finished product!

They finished dry walling, putting up the durock in the shower, fixed the hole we created in the hallway wall when we moved the light switch for the bathroom in TO the bathroom. (It was on the outside since the tub had been in that location) Now with the vanity there, it moved into the room. Closed up the other door to the "Peter Rabbit" room (someone about a decade ago painted a mural in there and we can't afford to recreate it, even if we were keeping the house).

We just finished (except for a re-cut of two small pieces) laying the underlayment that will allow us to use self leveling mortar. Ran out of screws so a few pieces aren't screwed down yet. We also discovered we needed a bit more of the trim we were using for the shelves to hide the cut edges. We add to add the underlayment since the original subfloor in there were planks not OSB. We had some pretty wide gaps and self leveling mortar would just have run thru the gaps. We have to go down to get labs on Monday so we will make our Home Depot run then for the screws, etc.

But I start painting tomorrow. Gonna make dh help alltho he doesn't like to paint.

I'll get more pictures of our progress tomorrow and add them.

Oh, and we got the floor tile...which we discovered would not work with the subway tile we PLANNED in the shower area...our floor tile is a matte finish, which would not work with the high shine of the subway tile. So we took one with us and found a wall tile that will work well. http://www.homedepot.com/p/U-S-Cera...all-Tile-10-7-sq-ft-case-U272CC-12M/202814575 Gonna use grey as the grout for the walls and floor.

First coat of primer/drywall paint is on. Of course, dh didn't help but he did do some caulking. I had to leave a few places unpainted since our dry wall guy missed a few spots. And they are spots not covered by trim, etc. I need to do some research as to how to make new drywall resemble the bumpy texture of old plaster. I also need to do some paint matching for the spot in the hallway.

Painted the vanity area ceiling, first coat. Went back in and decided I could paint the part of the ceiling not over the shower. We are still in pending mode for the replacement window in the shower area as it has to be vinyl. And to install that may mean temporarily removing the shower backer board. As a result, that seam has not been taped and mudded yet.

Gonna finish the ceiling I can and start on the walls.

Added wood filler in the needed spots on one set of shelves. Let that dry while I did the ceiling I could do for the second coat, so the only ceiling not down is directly over the shower pan.
Also since we are painting the shelves to blend like they are downstairs, I did a coat of primer on them.

I was sweating buckets up there today and we had the a/c going full blast.

So, it seems to me that the end is in sight - must be exciting. Stay cool and don't overwork yourselves in this heat!

Took today off but made two trips to Home Depot! Got some more wood filler, foam to keep the self leveling concrete out of the drain holes for the toilet and vanity, the switches and plate covers to the outlet boxes. Once we get home, I will do the wood filler so it has plenty of time to dry before painting.

And our vinyl window for the shower area is in! They come do that tomorrow.

Window got installed on Tues. Not sure what happened to Wed. Yesterday I had an eye appt, with the resulting headache all day. So it was today when I got up there to paint. Got one coat of paint on...will do the second tomorrow and then go back to finishing the ceiling above the shower pan. And cover the spots of wall paint that got on the ceiling.

Once that is done, we are installing the switches, cover plates, vanity light fixture, and then I start stripping ol trim so it can be repainted white not dirty beige.

Last of the wall paint is done! It's a color called Quiet Rain (a Glidden color). It's just a hint of green in the grey. Looks a bit darker on the walls. We always pick the color and then go a shade lighter. That method has worked best for us.

Finished the painting. Added photos of it painted and the new window installed.

Started stripping the old trim (told dh he was GOING to help with that...and he did okay, no complaining). The vanity area window trim is stripped, drying some before we use the sander. The door trim has to have a piece recreated. Thankfully the contractor who handled the drywall knows someone who can recreate it. It's a 1x4 but with a molded edge that is very unusual and unable to buy off the shelf.

Once the trim is stripped, then repainted, we will trim out the window and door. The shower window will wait til we've tiled those walls...and I am going to use vinyl as the window trim in there. The floor trim/shoe molding will wait til the floor is done.

I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is NO longer an oncoming train.

Lights, switches, and fans are installed. We happened across our electrician when we went to the grocery store. He was gonna call us as soon as he stopped driving (he was going to a fast food restaurant in the same parking lot). Nothing like living in a small town!

Oh, and the other day when we had our vet visit, we mentioned traveling to one of the staff...she is interested in the house! If we sell to her, we avoid realtors altogether.

Latest posts

Back