Sometimes, when you hear hoofbeats, it's a zebra

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I got a phone call yesterday (Thursday) morning.

My almost 85 year old father went to urgent care Wednesday night with an increasingly uncomfortable cough. They sent him to Stanford immediately after taking a chest X-ray. He has a baseball sized mass in his lower left lung.

They did a CT, and aspirated 700 cc of pleural effusion from the pleural space, and sent it to cytology, hoping there will be some results that would indicate either infection or cancer. They gave him antibiotics, just in case, but it was obviously most likely to be late stage lung cancer.

The next step was a biopsy, but whether to do it from the outside, through the chest wall, or by bronchoscopy (requiring anesthesia). The problem is the CT showed the mass had blood vessels and cysts, and enlarged lymph nodes, making a biopsy from the outside harder. They planned to do the bronchoscopy this afternoon, unless the cytology report came in and clearly indicated it was cancer.

Yesterday was the 18th anniversary of the day that Charles and I met - we had dinner plans - and instead, my world turned upside down.

I was in shock, and fear, and didn't know what to do. We are trying to sell our house, and had just signed a short-term listing - but realized we may need to take Dad in for the next while instead, because it is unlikely that his ladyfriend would be able (or willing?) to care for him.

Dad spent a long night alone in the hospital, knowing the likely outcome. I spent a long time trying to sleep too - melatonin wasn't enough; 1/2 a Lunesta wasn't either; finally dug into my old stash of Ativan to get a few hours of rest.

Today, we had to go to a doctor's appointment for Charles in SF, and then went to pick up Dad's ladyfriend (she can't drive anymore) and take her to the hospital, to visit dad before the bronchoscopy.

Apparently, the Jews found out Dad was in the hospital (he and his ladyfriend are members of the Palo Alto temple) - some lovely lady came in and brought him Shabbos gifts, and prayer card and then held his hand and sang some song of blessing for healing - I was standing next to him, holding his head and her hand, and trying to not sob out loud.

After they took him off for the procedure, I drove the ladyfriend home, while Charles tried to extract Dad's car from the hospital impound (Dad drove himself to the ER Wednesday night and didn't remember where the keys were) - mission finally accomplished, and Dad's car parked back at their apartment, we drove the 30 miles home.

The plan was, Dad would be released from the hospital probably tomorrow, while we waited a week or so for the results of the biopsy. Since he was going to be on pain meds, he would take a cab home. We settled into a quiet, sad silence as we drove home.

On the way back, I got a call from the pulmonologist/surgeon who did the biopsy. He was very excited to share his findings with me - when they entered the trachea, they found it to be very floppy and flabby - not stiff and rigid like a trachea is supposed to be, and the same with the bronchae in the left lung. They went to find the enlarged lymph nodes seen on the CT scan - and they had blood vessels in them, and were inflamed looking - not like they had tumor. And the rest of his lung was full of gunk - mucus.

It isn't for sure yet - and of course there COULD be cancer lurking in there - but the doctor was quite sure Dad has this, and NOT CANCER!
https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Health-Conditions/Tracheaobronchomalacia.aspx

I guess they don't see it that often. The doctor was both pleased with himself for the interesting and unexpected diagnosis, and that he didn't have to deliver terrible news.

Not sure what the treatment will be - probably lots of antibiotics, and then breathing treatments, and possibly stenting his trachea and bronchae. But Dad is going to be fine - he's going to live to be at least 101, as planned.

Dad, ladyfriend, my granddaughter from her 1st birthday about 2.5 years ago.:

11535824_10152991494031173_6571791676101219175_n.jpg

I'm glad the doctors figured out what was going on with your dad and I'm sorry you had to deal with the stress of all of that.

I hope the infection heals quickly and it is nothing more than that, Diana.

How terrifying for all. Here's hoping a blast of antibiotics will do the trick.

WOW Diana....SO happy it wasn't the worst! The SAME EXACT thing happened to my Dad many yrs ago only they told my Mom and that it HAD TO BE CANCER. When they got in there they drained off 1 1/2 quart of infectious pus and mucous. Because of the soft spongy lung tissue, it really is hard for them to distinguish what it is until they get in there. Great news!

P.S. GREAT pic BTW...thxs for sharing it with us ;)

He's going home today. So relieved. I guess we need to start planning his 85th birthday party in April!

Robs - your dad also had tracheobronchomalacia? What are the odds of that?? How did he do with that diagnosis - what was his experience post-diagnosis?

As you can imagine, I was worried out here on the east coast, but didn't have the immediate impressions of how Dad was that Diana had. I think that made it easier for me to believe it was something other than cancer. I'm so relieved that Dad's prognosis is good enough for us to start planning the 85th birthday party.

As you can imagine, I was worried out here on the east coast, but didn't have the immediate impressions of how Dad was that Diana had. I think that made it easier for me to believe it was something other than cancer. I'm so relieved that Dad's prognosis is good enough for us to start planning the 85th birthday party.
Sometimes that's easier...sometimes MUCH harder.

When I saw him in the hospital yesterday just before the bronchoscopy, he looked so small, frail, hollow and just defeated - it terrified me. I just spoke to him a few minutes ago as he was preparing to leave the hospital, and despite still being a little loopy on pain meds, he's done an emotional 180.

I called him at the hospital last night as soon as they brought him back to his room from the recovery room. Nobody had told him yet what they had found (or at least not that he remembered). He was still quite groggy, so I called him again about 45 min later to make SURE he understood and remembered.

This is the stuff of nightmares.

(PS - Rachael - @OldBroad - I was doing the sensible thing and emphasizing the possibilities to you and trying to convince myself there was more than one, but going with the odds, I was pretty sure it was bad news myself.)

This is the stuff of nightmares.

very true - if you don't die young you get old and bad shit happens to you. for me it was calling my Mom on Mother's Day and...well, let's just say suddenly I was talking to someone with dementia. the fear hit me physically, right in the stomach.

I had a woman patient who is in her 80s say to me Friday "getting old sucks" and it's true. all we can do is take care of each other best we can.

:(

I'm glad it isn't cancer!

Last edited:
He's going home today. So relieved. I guess we need to start planning his 85th birthday party in April!

Robs - your dad also had tracheobronchomalacia? What are the odds of that?? How did he do with that diagnosis - what was his experience post-diagnosis?

He did OK, of course many years later emphysema set in and finally got him. but that was around 25 yrs after his original diagnosis. Still, though...he didn't live to be all that old. He was a 3 pack a day smoker and quite when he got that original diagnosis and was in his late forties and passed at 73. By the time he quite smoking, the damage to his lungs was already done, but, quitting probably did buy him at least 10-15 yrs probably.

"calling my Mom on Mother's Day and...well, let's just say suddenly I was talking to someone with dementia. the fear hit me physically, right in the stomach."

Yeah - both of our parents are sliding down that hill a bit. Mom's lack of lucidity is probably due in part to sleep apnea that she refuses to treat, and her lack of caring about it - she seems to enjoy abdicating her responsibilities to Rachael. When she can't remember to do something, like use the cell phone, she doesn't try. Dad's memory issues are more short-term memory, and he finds it frustrating, but it is also troubling because his ladyfriend flips out when he forgets things (sometimes, I think he's just tuning her out because she nags ... :)). Mom will be 84 at the end of March, Dad will be 85 two weeks later.

I called Mom this morning, and she was unusually lucid - said she'd gotten a couple of days in a row of good sleep for a change. I decided to broach the subject lightly that Dad was sick and gave us a bit of a scare, but he's OK. She asked - "oh, was it something with his lungs?" Huh? "Yeah, Mom, but he's on antibiotics, it's OK." And then Mom said "yes, he didn't sound like the Ted I remember when I talked to him the other day."

Talked to him? My parents have been divorced since about 1979, and live on opposite coasts. They've only seen each other once since 1988 as far as I recall, at my daughter's wedding in 2007. And a couple of years ago, they spoke for a couple of moments on Skype when we had a party at the house with someone she hadn't seen in many years, and my dad was here (when she could still manage to use her computer). They each ask about each other occasionally, but that's about it. So I figured that despite her lucidity, she was hallucinating - I even asked her did she mean she talked to Charles, or someone else, but she insisted she spoke to Dad about 10 days ago. I called Rachael afterwards, and told her with some concern that Mom was hallucinating - and Rachael laughed - Dad had called her on her cell about 10 days ago while she was visiting Mom, and they had a brief chat. And she had mentioned to Mom this morning that Dad had been sick but was doing OK, which of course I didn't know.

So I'm the one going a bit off the deep end. I think I'll work on the rest of that bottle of sparkling rose' today before it goes flat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back