What’s going on with the Ramsey’s

One we saw today would have worked but they are showing every 30 mins. And will probably sell for more than asking which is above what we want to pay. But it was set up handicap accessible for aging in place. And in an excellent neighborhood.

Anyway, told our realtor to generate an offer for Grand Ave. We’ll see what happens.

A friend of mine told me the door looked like a hobbit door!
Handicap accessible with a staircase? I would have to pass. I’m doin’ old the hard way. We’re considering widening every doorway and adding exterior ramps. And MrSue’s long term care insurance company went under. We are waiting to learn if we will get some really minimal coverage or if they will just return the premiums we’ve paid for 17 years or so. I hope the VA will let us camp there if we need it!

ANYWAY, this WAS just a standard, post WWII, street after street of identical cookie cutter houses neighborhood. A semi-decent Main Street. NOT an area where “professionals” set up camp…mostly lower-to-mid middle class folks. Some showered before work, some after. Original owner here was a gardener.

Now, you can buy the CHEAPEST three or four bedroom in my zip code…
4 bdrms/3bathrooms/2188 sq ft…$1,0888,888*

I do not understand this. We certainly don’t consider ourselves as people living in a home that costs anything NEAR a million dollars. (My husband was born in a quonset hut. We’re up a bit from that, but nothing with so many digits.) A few (smaller) houses went for $650,000 six months ago…then that first digit kept getting bigger and bigger…until it flipped over to “1” with lots of zeros.

*(The eights are there because this area is attractive to Chinese immigrants and eight is a lucky number.)

This is a strange country.

Handicap accessible with a staircase?
You add a Stair Lift. The prices aren’t outrageous. And it makes the entire house accessible again.

The one we saw, had done that to the upper level but had a ground level entry. They also had the main bath set up for handicap access. But it went into a bidding war, and we don’t do bidding wars.

You add a Stair Lift. The prices aren’t outrageous. And it makes the entire house accessible again.

The one we saw, had done that to the upper level but had a ground level entry. They also had the main bath set up for handicap access. But it went into a bidding war, and we don’t do bidding wars.

I just read that, if remodeling and your closets on two floors are on top of each other, you can actually afford an elevator! Who knew!?

(Of course with the prices here, who can afford a second floor?)

I just read that, if remodeling and your closets on two floors are on top of each other, you can actually afford an elevator! Who knew!?

(Of course with the prices here, who can afford a second floor?)
Of course we don’t have closets on top of each other! Great idea tho.

House went pending, offer was signed by both parties. Closing will be late Feb. the have to take a back hoe the house to get everything out. I wish it was sooner but it’s gonna take them every bit of 60 days. Someone asked me if I hope the leave some of the furniture, I responded “oh, hell no, I have enough of my own to fill the place up.”

Last edited:
Of course we don’t have closets on top of each other! Great idea tho.

House went pending, offer was signed by both parties. Closing will be late Feb. the have to take a back hoe the house to get everything out. I wish it was sooner but it’s gonna take them every bit of 60 days. Someone asked me if I hope the leave some of the furniture, I responded “oh, hell no, I have enough of my own to fill the place up.”
Congrats!!

Congrats on getting the house! It really is charming, and I hope they don't leave a mess for you.

Okay, had the home inspection today. While the roof is slate, we’ve also found out there are several types of slate and one type only has a lifespan of 85 years (house is 84). We asked to take a piece to have the type identified. Also repairs will be on them not us. Repairs could exceed $10 grand. Or they could end up replacing the roof. That would cost over $15K. It’s possible they may cancel the contract.

We’ve definitely ran into a major issue. We can’t get a home owners insurance policy because of the age of the roof even tho it’s slate and may last another 75 years. Without that, we can’t get the VA loan which means our funding fell through (on this house).

So we start hunting all over again.

So sorry! Bureaucracy strikes again. I hope you find something you love even more soon.

Latest posts

Back