What’s going on with the Ramsey’s

We requested a home warranty for two years but unknown what will be covered. They wanted to change the terms of the original contract which was a no go. We agreed to a price to include a set amount of money to cover closing costs and two years of warrant. They agreed. Now they want to delete the money for closing costs. Not gonna happen.

CAREFULLY read the home warranty limitations. (I know you do.). Some need three years worth of service records, some have a $500/system limitation. Some have a $500 or $1000 limit on your roof. The small print goes on and on.

PS…our last purchase taught me that when seller and buyer both dig in on some position, the agents might just pick up the tab.

Our seller’s grandson refused to pay to have painting done that would have covered evidence of a long-ago roof leak that had been long-ago repaired, because it wasn’t currently leaking. We refused to pay to paint a room in a house we didn’t yet own. The purchase had VA financing and they would NOT have okayed the loan with existing evidence of a leak, so it would have taken getting a roofing certification and painting to close.

The two agents split the cost of painting.

Last edited:
PS…our last purchase taught me that when seller and buyer both dig in on some position, the agents might just pick up the tab.

Our seller’s grandson refused to pay to have painting done that would have covered evidence of a long-ago roof leak that had been long-ago repaired, because it wasn’t currently leaking. We refused to pay to paint a room in a house we didn’t yet own. The purchase had VA financing and they would NOT have okayed the loan with existing evidence of a leak, so it would have taken getting a roofing certification and painting to close.

The two agents split the cost of painting.
That’s one issue they have to take care of. We saw it, I wasn’t worried cause it wasn’t wet or soft when I putt my hand on it and our inspector tested it at less than 10% moisture. But the VA inspector wanted it repaired, so they hired a handyman to fix it among other issues. But the roof is the biggest contention. We are still waiting for newest set of paperwork.

Last edited:
Well, we closed yesterday and discovered today that the fridge while it technically works, is seriously ill. I had solid frozen chicken that went in yesterday, it’s almost fully thawed so I guess I’m cooking chicken tomorrow. The bacon, I stuck in there the day I bought it thawed, but that has a few weeks. Same with the cheese. We brought over the outside fridge from the rig so the milk based products went in there. It’s gonna be Charles’s beer fridge.

We have a $100 deductible, obviously no service records since we JUST bought the house. I personally don’t care if they fix or replace. At least if I get to replace, I can get what I want within reason.

Last edited:
Congrats on closing! I vote for getting the fridge of your choice, as it's something you will live with for a long time.

wait, what happened with the roof?
The roof was finally fixed in spite of them yelling about the cost. If they wanted to sell, it had to be fixed and it wasn’t our fault it was slate, it was their dad’s doing. It made sense in 1937. But at today’s cost, esp the copper flashing, it probably would have been cheaper to completely replace it. They spent well over 10k to replace 7 tiles, already on the property and reflash. That’s a huge chunk of change for such a small amount of materials.

We talked to the home warranty people, case was opened but because they haven’t yet received payment, nothing much else can be done. In the meantime, we will rent one and return it when that is decided. So off we go to Aaron’s (we’ve used them before decades ago). And yes, I know it’s not ideal but it will get us going til we get things resolved. In the meantime our new chest freezer in the basement is working wonderfully. I stuck an ice pack in there and in less than 2 hours it was frozen. So my now cooked crockpot chicken got deboned, deskined, and then into a freezer bag to freeze for future use.

Today, we have to go down to the rig, empty the basement bay, get the stuff out of the outdoor kitchen we used as storage, vacuum, then winterize, pulling the slides in. We head to Goshen on Sunday as it’s due in at Affinity RV Repair on Mon morning. We will just stay in hotels this trip and only the dogs are going. We’ve arranged for a cat sitter.

I need a months vacation from moving! I’m just glad the rest of our stuff is being handle by a moving company. All I have to do is decide where it goes and then unpack boxes. And since closing was delayed several times, that got delayed and I haven’t even scheduled it.

The cool thing about this house is the built ins…there are dressers in two closets. And as soon as get them lined, we can unpack clothes.

moving is exhausting even when everything goes well. I'm glad you are now done looking and can settle!

Moving is hard work! But it sounds like progress is finally occurring.

Latest posts

Back