Heading into surgery on 5/25/21

aaa

So on 5/7/21, I slipped on a shoe and crushed my left ankle into the wall and my back into the handrail. It has been a rough time. The back is finally allowing me to breathe without almost crying but the ankle has so many fractures and the joint is also messed up.

I need a plate and screws. They can’t guarantee I won’t have a limp (but can’t guarantee I will) :thumbsup:. 6-8 weeks splint/cast/boot and no weight bearing. Won’t see a shoe for 3 months. Guess I’m lucky I’ve been working at home. Once the surgical pain is gone I’m looking forward to going back to work. I figure about a week. I’ve been at loose ends these last 2 weeks.

Why did I post it here? Honestly, my osteoporosis is at issue. Both surgeons I’ve seen have commented on it. I go to the Yale bone clinic, take tons of vitamins/minerals, Reclast and a Rx - Rocaltrol but I still have it to some extent. I don’t blame the DS because when I look at the pros/cons of it I still have to come out on the pros side of having it done. In general, I’m much healthier than I was 16 years ago. I’d surely be 400+ lbs. now if I didn’t have it. It’s still a distressing thing to be going through, but there’s no use crying over spilt milk.

Last edited:
So on 5/7/21, I slipped on a shoe and crushed my left ankle into the wall and my back into the handrail. It has been a rough time. The back is finally allowing me to breathe without almost crying but the ankle has so many fractures and the joint is also messed up.

I need a plate and screws. They can’t guarantee I won’t have a limp (but can’t guarantee I will) :thumbsup:. 6-8 weeks splint/cast/boot and no weight bearing. Won’t see a shoe for 3 months. Guess I’m lucky I’ve been working at home. Once the surgical pain is gone I’m looking forward to going back to work. I figure about a week. I’ve been at loose ends these last 2 weeks.

Why did I post it here? Honestly, my osteoporosis is at issue. Both surgeons I’ve seen have commented on it. I go to the Yale bone clinic, take tons of vitamins/minerals, Reclast and a Rx - Rocaltrol but I still have it to some extent. I don’t blame the DS because when I look at the pros/cons of it I still have to come out on the pros side of having it done. In general, I’m much healthier than I was 16 years ago. I’d surely be 400+ lbs. now if I didn’t have it. It’s still a distressing thing to be going through, but there’s no use crying over spilt milk.
OMG, I am sorry about the ankle.
As far the osteoporosis, remember you can do absolutely everything and still have it. You can’t change your genetic health or the fact that you are over 40 and female.

A week?

So, there’s an optimist in the room? (Don’t force yourself. Take the time you need.)

I feel the same way you do re osteoporosis...and my mom had it and no bariatric surgery...so there’s that.

Get well soon.

So sorry to read this. I empathize 100%. I've broken both wrists with my last break in Sep. I'm still seeing an occupational therapist and I'm not even close to recovery.

My surgeon often refers to my bones as paper mache. Not a great visual.

I'm getting ready to start prolia after 2 years on Fortero. I'm 56 and I've been told I have the bones of an 80 year old. I agree with you, I would not change having my DS 8 years ago. Who knows the cause as I also battled acute myloid leukaemia just 4 months after my DS.

I am hopeful you have success with your ankle.

Blessings
Julie

A week?

So, there’s an optimist in the room? (Don’t force yourself. Take the time you need.)

I feel the same way you do re osteoporosis...and my mom had it and no bariatric surgery...so there’s that.

Get well soon.
I’m hoping that perhaps a week or so, postop, I’ll be off pain meds and not in pain (maybe closer to two weeks :unsure:) so I can go back to work. I’m lucky in that I’ve been working from my bed. So now it’ll just be working from my bed with my leg on pillows.:)

Last edited:
So sorry to read this. I empathize 100%. I've broken both wrists with my last break in Sep. I'm still seeing an occupational therapist and I'm not even close to recovery.

My surgeon often refers to my bones as paper mache. Not a great visual.

I'm getting ready to start prolia after 2 years on Fortero. I'm 56 and I've been told I have the bones of an 80 year old. I agree with you, I would not change having my DS 8 years ago. Who knows the cause as I also battled acute myloid leukaemia just 4 months after my DS.

I am hopeful you have success with your ankle.

Blessings
Julie
I wish you the same, Julia. Who knows? After this I may switch out from Reclast to a different treatment, too.

Pre-surgical hospital testing, Covid test and PCP clearance all set for tomorrow. I guess that’s good as I’m finally going to get this surgery in the books.

I appreciate all your kind words. You may not realize how much it helps when you feel a bit out of things as I’ve been for the last 2 weeks.

Fingers crossed that you do well. I just read your comment on collagen and I encourage you to try it during your recovery. I think it does make a difference in joint health. I have never had 'problems' per se but I did occasionally have a catch in an ankle or a knee and the collagen has made a difference. Can't help but think it might help you heal better! And I know it won't hurt you.

Fingers crossed that you do well. I just read your comment on collagen and I encourage you to try it during your recovery. I think it does make a difference in joint health. I have never had 'problems' per se but I did occasionally have a catch on an ankle or a knee and the collagen has made a difference. Can't help but think it might help you heal better! And I know it won't hurt you.
Hmm. I don’t remember writing about collagen but with what’s going on with me, who knows what I’ve written? :cool:What is it used for on your ankle or knee? Is it something you rub in?

Latest posts

Back