Heading into 3rd Surgery on 2/1/21

aaa

An update...

Things had been going pretty well. I moved from casts to a boot to a brace. Walker to forearm crutches, to 1 crutch. Was hoping to go to a cane soon.

Now I have to have all the Hardware removed due to dreadful pain at several of the incision sites and an arthroscopic cleanup to try and give me more movement. I began physical therapy at -24 dorsiflexion in the beginning of 10/21 and made it to -9 a week ago. I'd need a +10 or better to walk more normally so maybe this cleanup will help with that. If not, I'm prepared to live with it. At least I'm walking.

Once this surgery is over through, I still have 2 more. I have tibial neuropathy and peroneal neuropathy from this whole thing and no drugs have worked. The only thing that is supposed to give me some relief is a neurostimulator implant. I sure hope so. The nerve pain is 24/7. But I don't know when the nerve surgeries will be bc this Hardware removal has to be done first.

I'm hopeful Omicron has lessened considerably by my surgery date as I really would prefer not to be in hospital during it. Plus, who knows if they'll keep up with elective surgeries if it gets worse.

At least this is the beginning of the end of all this, finger crossed.:thumbsup:

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Sounds like two steps forward and then one back. Quite a lot to endure and the pain sounds terrible. Glad despite all you are enduring, you are maintaining a positive outlook and walking. Wishing you all the best.

Nerve pain is horrid. Hoping for the best with your surgery.
Did you mean peripheral neuropath? That’s a hard diagnosis to live with.

Re "At least I'm walking..."

Amen to that, and best wishes for a good recovery.

Re ". I have tibial neuropathy and peroneal neuropathy from this whole thing and no drugs have worked"

FWIIW.. I use Lyrica (pregablin is the generic form) for diabetic peripheral neuropathy ( the problem does not go away when the diabetes does)... works OK... be warned the retail price is ridiculous.. goodrx works well here

Re ". I have tibial neuropathy and peroneal neuropathy from this whole thing and no drugs have worked"

FWIIW.. I use Lyrica (pregablin is the generic form) for diabetic peripheral neuropathy ( the problem does not go away when the diabetes does)... works OK... be warned the retail price is ridiculous.. goodrx works well here
Mine got significantly better in the years that my A1C was under control. I still don’t need any pain med for diabetic neuropathy cause it’s not bad. Not like it was in 1997.

Nerve pain is horrid. Hoping for the best with your surgery.
Did you mean peripheral neuropath? That’s a hard diagnosis to live with.
I think peroneal is a type of peripheral. And, yes, it's a bear. I've had to take something every night to help relax the nerves or I fall asleep between 3-5AM. I don't want to have to live on it which is another reason I'm hopeful about the implant. Thankfully, the pain doctor has had excellent results with it.

Wishing the best for you for all the upcoming surgeries, and that nothing ends up cancelled.
I'm staying inside to try and prevent catching Omicron (only doing weekly food shopping) & it looks as if NY is declining in cases a bit. Fingers crossed.

You're lucky. Lyrica was one of the drugs I tried. Sadly, it didn't help.

When Lyrica came out, I was on gabapentine, my neurologist said the
mechanism was similar so switching wouldn’t help. But then we got me off gabapentine anyway. By then the other meds he had me on worked. By the time I had the DS and came off all the pain meds, I realized I no longer needed them.

When Lyrica came out, I was on gabapentine, my neurologist said the
mechanism was similar so switching wouldn’t help. But then we got me off gabapentine anyway. By then the other meds he had me on worked. By the time I had the DS and came off all the pain meds, I realized I no longer needed them.
I envy you, too. Gabapentin did nothing for me but make me faint. I woke up on the floor of the bathroom after falling off the knee scooter. No memory of the whole thing until I woke up with my cheek on the tile. This was while I was still casted and thankfully, I didn't fall on my ankle.

I envy you, too. Gabapentin did nothing for me but make me faint. I woke up on the floor of the bathroom after falling off the knee scooter. No memory of the whole thing until I woke up with my cheek on the tile. This was while I was still casted and thankfully, I didn't fall on my ankle.
Gabapentine was evil. I ended up on SSDI for major memory issues due to it. Lost weeks of my life. Also gained over 40 lbs.

With all that pain, and drugs, how you manage to even post here and make sense is amazing. When I’m in significant pain, I just hiss and growl at everyone.

With all that pain, and drugs, how you manage to even post here and make sense is amazing. When I’m in significant pain, I just hiss and growl at everyone.
I stay as low as i can on the drugs during the day and I guess I’m used to the pain after so long. Distraction helps.

Latest posts

Back