Heading into surgery on 5/25/21

Getting home from the hospital is always such a good feeling. Now rest and recuperate!

Hi all. It’s a rough recovery. Trying to take Aleeve during the day but still need painkillers at night at 2.5 weeks from surgery. Sleep is laughable anyway. Pretty much nap when you can I’ve been advised. Having your foot up on 3 pillows isn’t conducive to long term sleep :confused:. The ankle and thigh just aren’t happy like that.

Had the cast changed once and will see the Dr. this week and am afraid it’ll be changed again. That is incredibly painful.

My foot is also numb. But I spoke to the PA this week about it and she said it’s normal. Still a bit nervous about it. Will have more info. after I see the Dr. on Wednesday. That’ll be 3 weeks postop and maybe I’ll get a clue how many more weeks it’ll be with no weight bearing. All I have to say is thank goodness for my knee scooter. Best thing.

Attachments

• 548AC64D-0239-44F8-A328-8696CA6424CB.jpeg
    548AC64D-0239-44F8-A328-8696CA6424CB.jpeg
    820.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 0BC9EA4C-0E9A-4629-9FB7-BDABCF549ACF.jpeg
    0BC9EA4C-0E9A-4629-9FB7-BDABCF549ACF.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 3
Hi all. It’s a rough recovery. Trying to take Aleeve during the day but still need painkillers at night at 2.5 weeks from surgery. Sleep is laughable anyway. Pretty much nap when you can I’ve been advised. Having your foot up on 3 pillows isn’t conducive to long term sleep :confused:. The ankle and thigh just aren’t happy like that.

Had the cast changed once and will see the Dr. this week and am afraid it’ll be changed again. That is incredibly painful.

My foot is also numb. But I spoke to the PA this week about it and she said it’s normal. Still a bit nervous about it. Will have more info. after I see the Dr. on Wednesday. That’ll be 3 weeks postop and maybe I’ll get a clue how many more weeks it’ll be with no weight bearing. All I have to say is thank goodness for my knee scooter. Best thing.
I like the color of the cast wrap. I’d be nervous about the foot being numb. To my totally non medical opinion, that means the blood is impinged somewhere.

Yeah. I just have to trust in the PA. I know she’s been there a long time and done this for many people. Plus the pain is definitely less than postop. But I’ll be happy to see the Dr. on Wednesday just the same.

I picked that purple, lol. If they change it I’ll pick a new color.

Interestingly, I had a nurse come 1 day. My ins. paid for it. But then I canceled. There’s no wound to clean, I know what Rxs to take and when to take them (I was given a sheet when discharged from the hospital) so there was nothing for anyone to do. With the knee scooter I can cook and clean myself. I do have people bring in food, mail and Rxs, but it’s just funny I couldn’t find any reason to have a nurse come in. I’m glad they okayed it and I hope if I ever need it I can have it. She was quite lovely.

Last edited:
The surgeon replaced the cast with a heavy boot today. It’s 3 weeks since surgery. They took out a ton of Stitches.

(Also several new Rxs for pain, inflammation, etc. )

I’m now in a giant boot with many layers of dressing below it. I can remove it overnight but no weight bearing. So, essentially it’s the same thing as the cast. In fact, he said to think of it exactly as the cast.

Thankfully, I only need keep it on 1 pillow now instead of 3 so maybe I’ll get more than 20 mins sleep at a time.

I’ll see him again in 3 weeks and I’m crossing my fingers I may be permitted to put a bit of weight on it then. At least that’s what I’m hoping.

I pretty much expected to be in the cast/boot for at least 6 weeks as he told me that was the minimum. So we shall see.

Thankfully, I only need keep it on 1 pillow now instead of 3 so maybe I’ll get more than 20 mins sleep at a time.
wow, I hope this is a lot more comfortable and that you keep healing so you can put at least some weight down asap.

Had to go back to the surgeon today as the boot wasn’t working out. It was so heavy and rigid it killed my lower back. So I’ve now got this lovely. Hope you like the new color, Munchkin .Still no weight bearing. Can’t wait till that’s allowed.

I also got a copy of the X-ray. It’s a bit distressing to look at.

Attachments

• AE9643DB-BBF2-4901-9123-2FAECEA2D204.jpeg
    AE9643DB-BBF2-4901-9123-2FAECEA2D204.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back