Dr Srikanth and short hospital stays

Esquerra doesn't do a true Hess but he does measure and then comes up with his own ratio, that he feels is what each patient needs according to age, circumstances, etc.

My total bowel was 600, he made my common channel 75, Alimentary Limb 240 and Biliopancreatic Limb 285.

Therefore my absorbing (AL and CC) equal 315, and my Non-absorbing (BPL) is 285, so not a 50-50 ratio as Hess calls for, but very close! My 315 absorbing to 285 nonabsorbing has been doing very well for me and I have not had potty problems or moody stomach problems either and weight loss has been good. I did talk to Dr. Esquerra face to face and expressed that I wanted the Hess method and he assured me he did measure and calculate. I think he feels the little extra absorbing is to the patients advantage. I'm coming up on my one year surgiversary on June 10 and I'm currently at 85% of EWL and a BMI of 27.9 (started with a 45!). Oh, and I'm a shortie, at 5'1" and we are notorious for having hard time reaching goal I have been told.
My apologies but I was wrong with my Hess Method numbers because I was under the impression that the CC was 10% roughly and the AL (not the CC + AL that makes the total absorbing path, but just the al part) was 40% so that would make a 50/50 ratio. In actuality Hess when he says AL is 40% he is talking about the CC + AL....so this means the ratio for true Hess is 40/60. I am sorry that I was spouting wrong numbers. I really wish they would not refer to the total absorbing path as the AL....I think some refer to it as the Roux limb. @Larra is that correct?

Regarding hospital stay length. I understand his argument but I am of the belief that one needs a few days in the hospital if for nothing else to get plenty of IV fluids because dehydration is very easy to get in the first month. I had surgery on Monday and was discharged on Friday. Now I will be perfectly honest in that my oldest son who has had a bazilion medical issues was having surgery on Thursday at the same hospital with a partner of my DS surgeon so I knew if I was discharged there was no way I would be able to make it back to the hospital to be there for my son. I told them my pain wasn't controlled and that I couldn't drink enough so they kept me the extra night. I did have trouble with hydration because I couldn't drink much of anything or a few months after my DS. That being said, your stay seems to have worked for you and you are looking great.

I am a broken record on this one but I think CC length independent of the other two equally important limbs is irrelevant. One size does not fit all, IMO. It sure didn't for me. That being said you are doing well and I expect you will continue to do well. I just wish I had been given an longer total absorbing path. BTW, my CC was reported at 100 CM but when Dr K revised me he measured it at 125 cm and I ended up malnourished because the total AL was too short, thus the need for revision.

Anyway, you look 15 years younger. I am happy to see your are doing so well.

Dr Gagner also does short stays - one night in the surgical clinic, and then one night with a private nurse at the hotel. I actually found it a great way to recover from the surgery, as I got to be comfortable in a real bed in a quiet room, but have someone there as well. I needed some anti-nausea injections on the second night, and one or two painkiller injections, but after that I was fine. Dr Gagner called for the next couple of days to check how I was doing, and his nurse arranged for the pharmacy to pick up and drop off medications seeing as I was travelling alone.

Latest posts

Back