Dr Srikanth and short hospital stays

Duckman

Professional fool
Dr Srikanth is my surgeon and I asked a couple of questions before surgery that seem to come up a lot. These are paraphrased responses.

q: why so little time in hospital?
a: secondary infections you might pick up in a hospital are much worse than what you might get at home. Being in the hospital is stressful and the quality of sleep is poor.

q: why is your CC 150 cm instead of using the Hess method?
a: 150 cm is where the risk of complication and follow up surgery is lowest, and impact on EWL from 100 to 150 cm is minimal

I agree completely with being in the hospital being stressful and I got like no sleep when I was there.

Dr Srikanth is my surgeon and I asked a couple of questions before surgery that seem to come up a lot. These are paraphrased responses.

q: why so little time in hospital?
a: secondary infections you might pick up in a hospital are much worse than what you might get at home. Being in the hospital is stressful and the quality of sleep is poor.

q: why is your CC 150 cm instead of using the Hess method?
a: 150 cm is where the risk of complication and follow up surgery is lowest, and impact on EWL from 100 to 150 cm is minimal

I agree completely with being in the hospital being stressful and I got like no sleep when I was there.
What is the opinion from the vets here on the CC 150cm? I read somewhere on this site or OH that Esquerra, might not do true Hess calculation... Thanks in advance.

What is the opinion from the vets here on the CC 150cm? I read somewhere on this site or OH that Esquerra, might not do true Hess calculation... Thanks in advance.

While the Hess is the preferred method, I am very pleased with the results of the fixed 100 cm common channel approach my surgeon employs for all his DS patients.

All the best!

Esquerra doesn't do a true Hess but he does measure and then comes up with his own ratio, that he feels is what each patient needs according to age, circumstances, etc.

My total bowel was 600, he made my common channel 75, Alimentary Limb 240 and Biliopancreatic Limb 285.

Therefore my absorbing (AL and CC) equal 315, and my Non-absorbing (BPL) is 285, so not a 50-50 ratio as Hess calls for, but very close! My 315 absorbing to 285 nonabsorbing has been doing very well for me and I have not had potty problems or moody stomach problems either and weight loss has been good. I did talk to Dr. Esquerra face to face and expressed that I wanted the Hess method and he assured me he did measure and calculate. I think he feels the little extra absorbing is to the patients advantage. I'm coming up on my one year surgiversary on June 10 and I'm currently at 85% of EWL and a BMI of 27.9 (started with a 45!). Oh, and I'm a shortie, at 5'1" and we are notorious for having hard time reaching goal I have been told.

I have 100 cm common channel and I'm pleased with the overall results at 12 years out. You can succeed in losing and maintaining weight loss either way (150 or 100 cm) initially, but long term, things change and I wonder what the 20-year weight differences are.

Mine is 75...supposedly. And I wish it was shorter.

Don't compare yourself to men. There is something pretty magical about men and the DS. I call it the Man Factor. The best and fastest results I have ever seen have always been men. Just look at @Duckman pictures.

Latest posts

Back