Chia Seeds

- the pumpkin also may not let them crisp up too, I think? Not sure. it seems these really work as almond flour is fatty, cheese is mostly fat- and egg as binder. Cutting it with coconut flour would work though- now I'm wondering about oat fiber and flax? You can def riff off this idea- my husband said he preferred them to Cheeze-Its.. So did I, & very satisfying too!

Last edited:
I think it would be impossible to use only coconut flour as your base, it is just too dry. Do you have some almond flour? I would use 1 1/2 cups almond flour to a 1/4 cup coconut flour otherwise your crackers will be more like sawdust cakes.
That's why I was going to put in some pumpkin too.

Be careful with the flax, it is bitter if over baked and a little funky when cooked anyway. It makes for great texture when used sparingly though.

I am putting this down because I made these today and they were about the best so far. Hubby likes them too. He would liked the jalapeños added even more. The changes that I made are in Bold.

http://nutritionfor.us/2013/02/cheddar-jalapeno-crackers/

Yields 1 baking sheet of crackers. Recipe inspired by Oh My Veggies.
Ingredients:
  • 1½ cups almond flour
  • ½ cup flax seed meal (I used about 1/4 cup)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ cup plus 2 tbsp grated cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 to 2 jalapeños, minced (I did not put any in)
  • 2 tbsp melted butter (I used about 4 Tbsp)
  • 1 large egg (I used 2 eggs)
  • ½ tsp kosher salt
  • I added 2 Tbsp of toasted sesame seeds
  • I added 2 Tbsp of Chia seeds
  • I added about 1/4 cup coconut flour
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 300F.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, flax seed meal, baking powder, onion powder and salt. Stir in ½ cup cheese and minced jalapenos.
  3. Add in butter and egg and stir until a cohesive dough forms.
  4. On a large cookie sheet, roll out very thinly into a rough rectangle between sheets of parchment paper. Try to make sure it is of an even thickness so your edges don’t cook faster than the middle.
  5. Remove top layer of parchment. With a sharp knife, score into desired size of cracker. I made mine about 2 inches by 2 inches.
  6. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp of cheese and kosher salt.
  7. Bake until firm and edges are browned and crispy, about 45 minutes. Cook time will depend on how thin you rolled the dough. (I rolled the dough very thin. I made around 48 individual crackers. I rolled them out and cut them on the counter then transferred them to a cookie sheet with a spatula. Consequently, I only cooked mine for about 25 minutes with the oven on convection at 300F.)
  8. Remove from oven and let cool completely (they won’t be crisp until completely cooled).
  9. Store uncovered on your counter.

@Jo777 is right. The pumpkin didn't work even taking into account the dry of the coconut flour. They needed more fat to be crispy. They were edible and didn't taste bad...but they weren't crackers either. My plan is to let them dry out and try try them as croutons on salad.

I bought a Wheat Belly Cookbook, William Davis, MD yesterday. I have some cinnamon cranberry scones in the oven as I type. I think some of my homemade strawberry sugar free jelly and lots of butter will make a fine dessert! :p

I'll let you know if we hate them.

I bought a Wheat Belly Cookbook, William Davis, MD yesterday. I have some cinnamon cranberry scones in the oven as I type. I think some of my homemade strawberry sugar free jelly and lots of butter will make a fine dessert! :p

I'll let you know if we hate them.

let us know what you think of the book in general

I've also seen them at Costco and Sprouts, but I have a generous supply (purchased online) so I didn't check the prices.

Also, do NOT eat the ones on the Chiapets! I don't know the details but they have been treated in some way and are not safe to eat. They are intended for fun only. And besides, that would be a very expensive way to get them.

Latest posts

Back