Any suggestions?

Yes, I'm DNR because I can't stand the thought of being a vegetable and being more of a burden on my family.
You are so right though, with how life would be without the surgery. That's my main reason for continuing to press along despite the anxiety. I need a better quality of life.
But then again, instead of DNR, state no extraordinary measures. If you code and simply restarting your heart is what is needed and not be a vegetable as a result, why DNR? Remember, in the OR, they will be right there if something happens. You will already be on oxygen anyway.

Probably. I can't stomach the thought of being a vegetable and being a burden on my family any more than I already am, so that's my reasoning behind being a DNR
You said you're a CNA. I worked in medical records for 32 years. Those years definitely had a influence on how I have decided my Advanced Directives. My nurse friends have agonized over doing CPR and breaking brittle bones on older patients because the family insisted on having everything done. I think most of my friends in health care are against aggressive measures in cases where the prognosis is grim.

I have specifics such as no more than 8 units of blood for transfusions. A week on a vent. No artificial nutrition or hydration, just adequate pain medications and comfort care. I'm only in my 60's now, and I plan on making my restrictions tighter as I age.

Hey all,

Dr Rabkin said I made it through surgery like a champ. I've been walking and sipping, walking and sipping. I was super hungry at first, now food is just bleh. I'll be released tomorrow, just focusing on increasing my fluid intake for today.
Thank you, everyone for all your suggestions and comments!

Congratulations! you will do great with your DS. Just focus on hydration for now, and your walking, and you will feel better day by day.

Latest posts

Back