800 calorie diet for 4 weeks--there is like no way to do this without going broke on BariLife

writegirl

Work in Progress
This is maybe more of a rant, but it's partially a cry for any ideas you vets may have. Boyce's NUT put me on the 800 calorie diet (started me the day of our diet class so #blindsided). I bought one week of the BariLife "supplements" which is a fancy word for uber expensive high protein MREs or just-add-water foods.

Given the terrifying language in the pre-op paper work, I am afraid of NOT following this exactly. I feel a little frustrated at the length of time they're requiring me to be on this plan. One week of food cost me $180. Also, I can't eat sugar alcohols because I am allergic to them, so I can't get bars/anything with fake chocolate type coatings on them. That limited me on this plan a bit because a lot of the stuff is that fake coated crap.

Two major questions:

The language in this pre-op packet lists: DO NOT: eat any other foods on the pre-op diet, drink any other protein supplements other than BariLife, Mix the protein supplements with milk.

Does this mean half and half in my coffee will be a problem? I am not quitting coffee till two weeks pre-op and then I am going decaf. I have to feel human in this process.

Do you think I actually have to eat the barilife packaged stuff or are there other ways to do the 800 calories and still feel like I ate something?

In the food I bought there is spaghetti bolognaise and pasta alfredo, there are soups with pasta in them. I realize this is all protein "pasta" but it still seems like they're having me eat food, just THEIR food. And then there is the disclaimer: "Noncompliance can lead to serious, life threatening complications.

Not loving this.

"Noncompliance can lead to serious, life threatening complications" Noncompliance with their processed foods? Give me a break.
Do a search. I believe many other DSers here have come up with an alternate way of dealing with this diet order.

Bullshit. Eat your own sensible 800 cal diet. How will they know?? They can't know. As long as you lose something and don't show up 10# heavier.

My pre-op diet was 3 weeks of Atkins (unlimited calories) and 5 days of clears (that was hard).

Others had NO restrictions whatsoever. Just NPO after midnight the day before.

Every doc is different.

@writegirl I am in the same boat, as far as not understanding this goes. My pre op diet starts Monday. A week of food cost me $74, which is not that big of a deal. What is a big deal, to me, is that it's all solid food, many of them being high carb! Like, more carbs than I would ever eat in a day. I don't get it. Im going to stick to it because I am bad at dieting on my own, but I don't understand the logic.

Other than putting more money in the pocket of their practice, I wonder if they do these pre op diets since most of us are bad at dieting. I was not told that going off the diet would kill me when I had the surgery, however, I was told that if I did not lose weight before my surgery, it would be cancelled. That scared me more than anything because to me, high carb intake means I gain weight.

I was also told that I couldn't have anything containing milk sugars, so that could mean nothing fancy in your coffee. I'd call up the office and ask.

@writegirl I am in the same boat, as far as not understanding this goes. My pre op diet starts Monday. A week of food cost me $74, which is not that big of a deal. What is a big deal, to me, is that it's all solid food, many of them being high carb! Like, more carbs than I would ever eat in a day. I don't get it. Im going to stick to it because I am bad at dieting on my own, but I don't understand the logic.

Other than putting more money in the pocket of their practice, I wonder if they do these pre op diets since most of us are bad at dieting. I was not told that going off the diet would kill me when I had the surgery, however, I was told that if I did not lose weight before my surgery, it would be cancelled. That scared me more than anything because to me, high carb intake means I gain weight.

I was also told that I couldn't have anything containing milk sugars, so that could mean nothing fancy in your coffee. I'd call up the office and ask.

I'll just drink it black, I guess. I don't get what the milk sugars will do to us when the carbs are high in the high protein packaged foods. I think the calorie deficit would be enough to make us lose weight. Maybe it will be easier than I think, but the language is designed to scare the heck out of us.

Bullshit. Eat your own sensible 800 cal diet. How will they know?? They can't know. As long as you lose something and don't show up 10# heavier.

My pre-op diet was 3 weeks of Atkins (unlimited calories) and 5 days of clears (that was hard).

Every doc is different.

We have full liquids for two days before surgery, but we never have to switch to clears. We also have to take benefiber every day (during the whole pre-op diet), so the goal is to clean us out, I guess. I don't get how eating their packaged powdered "omelette" can be any healthier or higher protein than eating an actual egg. The barilife protein drinks are just whey isolate from what I can see. Not sure how using only barilife matters on that either.

Every doc is different.

I searched but I think I need to use better keywords. The terms I used pulled up post-op and not pre-op, but I am sure that there is something on this board about it. Will keep looking.

Yeah... The serious complication is that thousand bucks the doc won't get from you. He should be ashamed. The ASMBS says this is not necessary.

BUT, interesting thought. If your insurance pays for your surgery, should they not also pay for you to do what your surgeon wants you to do? He is actually PRESCRIBING a diet that is not available to you outside his office.

We have full liquids for two days before surgery, but we never have to switch to clears. We also have to take benefiber every day (during the whole pre-op diet), so the goal is to clean us out, I guess. I don't get how eating their packaged powdered "omelette" can be any healthier or higher protein than eating an actual egg. The barilife protein drinks are just whey isolate from what I can see. Not sure how using only barilife matters on that either.

We don't even do that! Just shite prepackaged food for two weeks, nothing to eat after 6 PM the day before, and no fluids after midnight. Which is a pretty big indicator to me that the whole concept is BS, other than forcing patients to lose some weight. I'm putting up with it because I really want this surgery, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about it ;)

My surgeon asked me to eat high protein/low carb prior to surgery. Easy peasy. I think I was on liquids the day before. I complied just so I wouldn't lie if he asked. It was easier than prepping for a colonoscopy.

I don't like that Dr. Boyce is using the pre-op program that he is pushing. Sounds like a bit of CYA on his part. Yet as many have pointed out; if someone is a good cutter, you play along until AFTER surgery. What's he going to do: reverse the switch and put back the part of the stomach removed?

My surgeon asked me to eat high protein/low carb prior to surgery. Easy peasy. I think I was on liquids the day before. I complied just so I wouldn't lie if he asked. It was easier than prepping for a colonoscopy.

I don't like that Dr. Boyce is using the pre-op program that he is pushing. Sounds like a bit of CYA on his part. Yet as many have pointed out; if someone is a good cutter, you play along until AFTER surgery. What's he going to do: reverse the switch and put back the part of the stomach removed?

Yeah, my fear would be not losing sufficient weight between now and surgery day for them to delay me. I can't even wrap my mind around that idea. I think I will do a slightly modified version of his post op and hit the 800 cals with whole proteins and protein drinks. I will definitely follow the plan and do the liquids only for the last two days. I agree with you on the pre-op plan thing. I get that they want to shrink our livers, though. Maybe it's easier to get patients to comply when he puts the plan in front of them and restricts what they can eat with his products. It's definitely gotta be a cash cow for him, though.

"Liver shrinking" is bullshit, too. Somewhere on this board @DianaCox (I think) talks about how stupid this is. (No sense searching for it as "liver shrinking" will give you a gazillion hits.)

But I do think it wise to limit solids a couple of days before any abdominal surgery because I wouldn't want the joy of pushing out poop immediately post-op and/or being profoundly constipated from the pain killers.

he should be reported to someone. TO ME THATS EXTORTION! EITHER USE MY PRODUCT LINE OR I WON'T DO YOUR SURGERY! He's a Asshole extorting people who are desperate. if he won't let you do a reasonable 800 calorie diet that has the same goal of the stuff he's holding your surgery hostage with take your approval and go to another vetted doc. insurance should be informed of what he's doing!

Last edited:
I searched but I think I need to use better keywords. The terms I used pulled up post-op and not pre-op, but I am sure that there is something on this board about it. Will keep looking.

I could have a faulty memory, but I thought someone here told the dietitian (or nurse) at Boyce's office that he/she could not afford those food products and would eat a high protein low carb 800 cal diet instead. That seemed to go over fine. You might try that approach. I would not buy any more of those food products from him. It is total BS. This reminds me of an HMR or Optifast program - blech.

he should be reported to someone. TO ME THATS EXTORTION! EITHER USE MY PRODUCT LINE OR I WON'T DO YOUR SURGERY! He's a Asshole extorting people who are desperate. if he won't let you do a reasonable 800 calorie diet that has the same goal of the stuff he's holding your surgery hostage with take your approval and go to another vetted doc. insurance should be informed of what he's doing!

The NUT was very cautious in her language stating that the BariLife is "The preferred method" and "They way you should go for optimal results" so, I don't think Boyce would actually stop someone from getting the surgery. Plus, the surgery is also the way he gets paid. I just take exception to the fear tactics in the take home folder of pre-op diet guidelines. I also take exception to the ridiculous cost of the barilife "supplements" (food).

Latest posts

Back