When does the gas and urgent BMs slow down?????

LindaDarnell

My husband is 14 weeks out since his virgin DS, Im 5 weeks since my revision. We are bith still dealing with awful gas and frequent BMs. While we can "manage" the BMs..the gas is awful! We are watching what and how we eat but it doesnt seem to matter..the gas still comes.

When does it get better???? Our surgeon recommended Devorum to control the odor..which has helped my hubby more than me.

But im always in the shower bc i feel like im a walking stink bomb from the gas. But when i return to work , i cant take 3 showers a day..and im so scared of being ebarrassed by a "slip".

When does it get better? Please dont say a year...that seems to be the magical benchmark for everything

My husband is 14 weeks out since his virgin DS, Im 5 weeks since my revision. We are bith still dealing with awful gas and frequent BMs. While we can "manage" the BMs..the gas is awful! We are watching what and how we eat but it doesnt seem to matter..the gas still comes.

When does it get better???? Our surgeon recommended Devorum to control the odor..which has helped my hubby more than me.

But im always in the shower bc i feel like im a walking stink bomb from the gas. But when i return to work , i cant take 3 showers a day..and im so scared of being ebarrassed by a "slip".

When does it get better? Please dont say a year...that seems to be the magical benchmark for everything
Check your diet for all possible KNOWN offenders. Carbs, esp grain based. MILK, onions. My husband had issues with green peppers (altho the other colors were fine). Sugar (hiding in any processed food) Sugar alcohols. It will take time to figure out the offenders but once you do and your system settles down (for me about 3 months), things get better.

I newly became lactose intolerant with DS and have seen that is a reasonably common occurrence. So, I agree with @southernlady that MILK should be among the first foods to eliminate, followed by sugar alcohols (sorbitol, mannitol, etc.), carbs, and certain veggies like broccoli, peppers, onions.

Please note that lactose is seemingly everywhere these days, particularly in protein shakes (I drink Oh Yeah by ISS as it is lactose free). Lactose is also abundantly in processed foods in the form of skim milk powder. Hershey ADDS lactose to its chocolates as a cheap sweetener.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
more than likely when you change whatever in your diet is causing it. Too much fat equals more emergency bm . some can't handle any artificial sweeteners and they can cause more bm. fruit and vegetables can be culprits as well as carbs.

I use a probiotic some swear by them some think they do nothing. For me I don't swear by them but I do feel they help me with the bloat.

At any rate find out what's causing you all the grief from your diet and it should calm down.

We dont drink cows milk at all..havent for years. Just almond milk but only with protein shakes (which I dont drink at all).

We've narrowed down and elimnated many of the things suggested, especially the sugar alchols. But I definitely get what you all are suggestung. It's just frustrating bc every time we think we have elimnated "the source" and have it under control, the gas returns.

And my bowel movements are still very loose and urgent like diarrhea. Yesterday I had to take 2 immodium to get it under control.

I agree you want to figure it out before going back to work. Know, though, that there will be a slip up despite your best efforts, but you can reduce them to a rare occurrence. UNexpected diarrhea went away quickly after surgery for me.

What helped me was an elimination diet and reading labels. Start with one day of eating plain broiled chicken or fresh fish and breakfast egg whites. Then add one food every day. I found all yogurts made it worse, except for one brand. Carbs in general made it worse, but sugar particularly. I can eat crackers though. Onions are lethal, as other vegetables listed by others. I can eat homemade beef chili with beans, surprisingly, but not supermarket ones. I can eat homemade scrambled eggs, but fast-food eggs are lethal. If the label says guar gum, food starch, corn starch or something you can't pronounce, you probably can't eat it without paying a price. I call it "DS discipline." The gas keeps me from eating what I shouldn't eat. When I was working, I ate very, very carefully on the days before workdays, and was more liberal on Friday and Saturday.

Devrom didn't work for me. Probiotics did.(a little). POuPooree (spelling?) or perfume can be sprayed in the air, and I kept a spray bottle of Lysol at my desk, so I could be re-scenting the air. Otherwise just keep walking away if you can.

I am just guessing, but I would bet almost every DSer has an embarrassing story about gas. It does get better, but it took me a while before I learned what was causing it. There are still occasional slip ups, like yesterday in the dentists chair. Oh, my.

And you can apologize in advance to your co-workers, explaining you've had gut surgery which has screwed up your guts, and that you're working hard to get things under control, and that you've been promised it will get better over time. Explain that you will try to be conciencous about using sprays in the bathroom and around your desk, and tell them to feel free to let you know if the spray odor is annoying, as you are trying to use the most effective ones, but there are many choices. I'm sure the vast majority will be sympathetic and understanding, and screw the others.

We dont drink cows milk at all..havent for years. Just almond milk but only with protein shakes (which I dont drink at all).

We've narrowed down and elimnated many of the things suggested, especially the sugar alchols. But I definitely get what you all are suggestung. It's just frustrating bc every time we think we have elimnated "the source" and have it under control, the gas returns.

And my bowel movements are still very loose and urgent like diarrhea. Yesterday I had to take 2 immodium to get it under control.
Try drinking the protein made with water. It could be the almond milk (which is made from carbs and no fat).

There is no magic number when all this just goes away. But it for the most part, does. And I am glad to hear you are using Imodium. You are eating something your body finds offensive. Start doing an elimination diet, sort of. Tomorrow, all you eat is say, tuna salad. If there are no issues, it goes on your safe to eat list. The next day, chicken salad. You get the idea.

I agree you want to figure it out before going back to work. Know, though, that there will be a slip up despite your best efforts, but you can reduce them to a rare occurrence. UNexpected diarrhea went away quickly after surgery for me.

What helped me was an elimination diet and reading labels. Start with one day of eating plain broiled chicken or fresh fish and breakfast egg whites. Then add one food every day. I found all yogurts made it worse, except for one brand. Carbs in general made it worse, but sugar particularly. I can eat crackers though. Onions are lethal, as other vegetables listed by others. I can eat homemade beef chili with beans, surprisingly, but not supermarket ones. I can eat homemade scrambled eggs, but fast-food eggs are lethal. If the label says guar gum, food starch, corn starch or something you can't pronounce, you probably can't eat it without paying a price. I call it "DS discipline." The gas keeps me from eating what I shouldn't eat. When I was working, I ate very, very carefully on the days before workdays, and was more liberal on Friday and Saturday.

Devrom didn't work for me. Probiotics did.(a little). POuPooree (spelling?) or perfume can be sprayed in the air, and I kept a spray bottle of Lysol at my desk, so I could be re-scenting the air. Otherwise just keep walking away if you can.

I am just guessing, but I would bet almost every DSer has an embarrassing story about gas. It does get better, but it took me a while before I learned what was causing it. There are still occasional slip ups, like yesterday in the dentists chair. Oh, my.
I was so encouraged by your posts..until you mentioned the dentist chair:D!! I have an orthodontist appt next week...i shall now starve myself for 48 hours before LOL

And you can apologize in advance to your co-workers, explaining you've had gut surgery which has screwed up your guts, and that you're working hard to get things under control, and that you've been promised it will get better over time. Explain that you will try to be conciencous about using sprays in the bathroom and around your desk, and tell them to feel free to let you know if the spray odor is annoying, as you are trying to use the most effective ones, but there are many choices. I'm sure the vast majority will be sympathetic and understanding, and screw the others.
Ummmm...I dont think I can be that open. Ill just settle for imploding and dying as i try to hold it in :rolleyes:

The first time I had a massage after surgery I was scared to death to eat anything.
Now, 9 weeks later I don't worry, I just don't eat carbs before a massage

I have "anosmia," which means I don't smell shit...literally. So the bad news is that I'm always worried that I'm producing smells.

I buy Ozium buy the case. It's near every toilet, plus in the car.

I had/have the same thing, as far as the smell! It was absorbing into my sheets and mattress and I had to wash them every few days. I did cut out foods to see what it was...for me it is SUGAR. Of any sort. More then a drop a day and I can clear out a house.

I purchased Devrom, Tumeric, Probiotic, Anti Gas pills, and Lactose supplement. Sounds like a lot on top of what you already take vitamin wise I know but if you take them religiously, for me 2 to 3 times a day. It helps ALOT! But I sometimes forget but the smell reminds me.
Hope that the info helps!

Latest posts

Back