What's your hobby?

I might perform tonight. I have some of my work in my handbag and a pen in case I get inspired...am I am nervous...have an upset tummy and everything. I haven't performed on stage in any capacity in over 10 years. The nerves are strong with this one! But if....IF, I do, I will try to get mike to record it.

I've made over 35 quilts, given most of them away. The last one I kept, Double Delight pattern by Barbara Brackman, and it's my best work. I knit like a mad woman. Learned that very late in life, at 49. Already knew garment construction (sewing) so sweaters come naturally off my needles. I can crochet, but don't like that as much. I knit socks, baby sweaters, mens sweaters, etc. Just finished a green cabled alpaca one for me in Misty Alpaca worsted that's beautiful. I upholster furniture. Recovered all the chairs at my local yarn shop, each one a different fabric. And I flower garden, I remember the names to every plant I have ever met. I have orchids, hoya in flower (hot cocoa scent) and some hoya my father propagated when he was alive, that he never got to flower that are now in flower. I've bred my yorkies, won't ever breed dogs again. Lost two puppies and it crushed me. I used to collect antiques, but got too many, so now I've stopped. And I'm waiting to become a grandma, but no grand babies in my future yet.

I'm so boring. I don't really have any hobbies. I play video games, surf the internet, facebook, play with my animals and hang out with friends from time to time. That's about it. My life is boring right now. Today I met a friend for lunch, then met up with another friend...we were both bored so we walked around wally world and Essex and wasted time. That's pretty much my days. Wasting time.

I read constantly - get very anxious if I don't have at least 2 backup books.
Haven't finished anything in a while, but I make jewelry. Mostly bead & wire stuff, like earrings & bracelets. I also weave chainmail - bracelets, mostly.
I like playing with fire, so got into making glass beads.
I do some mixed media stuff as well - assemblages, like shrines. Mostly 3D, not flat collages.
I'm learning to knit and relearning to crochet.

I enjoy reading, learning new things, gardening, and helping right wrongs. I am learning how to be an effective troublemaker to errant legislators, school board members, etc. My goals this year are to finish the second bachelors degree that I started and to build enough strength and stamina to start running again.

I'm determined to be on the Comeback Trail and, God willing, this is my year baby.

I would highly recommend learning to knit, for anyone needing a new hobby. I learned at the age of 48, I think, and now at 53 am churning out beautiful sweaters that actually fit out of alpaca yarn. I can make one a month, with smaller projects thrown in as well. Just pick a local fiber or yarn store and take a lesson.

Ask for someone to teach your the German way, or throwing your yarn in one motion. Continental style. You Tube it and see. I learned the other way and now cannot relearn the German way. Damn it. I'd be SO much faster than I am.

I read constantly - get very anxious if I don't have at least 2 backup books.
.... I make jewelry. Mostly bead & wire stuff, like earrings & bracelets. I also weave chainmail - bracelets, mostly.
I like playing with fire, so got into making glass beads.
I do some mixed media stuff as well - assemblages, like shrines. Mostly 3D, not flat collages.

Me too with the backup books - HAVE to have one in my bag at all times.

I also make jewelry - it's my side business. Haven't recovered from the holiday season yet but there's a show in March so need to get moving. I use a lot of recycled copper - wire, bars, sheet - and am getting into forging. But most items are still beads and wire, including some silver, gold, and bronze. I use natural stuff like gemstones, amber, pearls, etc (geologist here), but recently got into lampwork glass (bought) because I was finding beads of chickens, cats, and fruits and veggies, and was selling a lot at farmers' markets last summer. You're brave to mess with molten glass!

I also make jewelry - it's my side business. Haven't recovered from the holiday season yet but there's a show in March so need to get moving. I use a lot of recycled copper - wire, bars, sheet - and am getting into forging. But most items are still beads and wire, including some silver, gold, and bronze. I use natural stuff like gemstones, amber, pearls, etc (geologist here), but recently got into lampwork glass (bought) because I was finding beads of chickens, cats, and fruits and veggies, and was selling a lot at farmers' markets last summer. You're brave to mess with molten glass!

Are you my husband's twin? Books and rocks...geeze that sounds familiar. We cannot go anywhere in peace, because while I'm rockin' out to the oldie stuff on Sirius, he's carrying on about the Civil War book he's reading, alluvial plains and other crap I don't really care about...like what kind of bird that is up there. Oh, how I wish he would watch the road as closely!

Are you my husband's twin? Books and rocks...geeze that sounds familiar. We cannot go anywhere in peace, because while I'm rockin' out to the oldie stuff on Sirius, he's carrying on about the Civil War book he's reading, alluvial plains and other crap I don't really care about...like what kind of bird that is up there. Oh, how I wish he would watch the road as closely!

And are your house, yard, car, coat pockets, and luggage full of rocks? My hubby was a geologist too, a real collector, who got first dibs on all the new exposures after every blast in quarries throughout New York and Connecticut. I've built stone walls for two houses using his "second tier" stuff.

I quilt, cook whenever I am well enough to do it, I sew and rhinestone embellish clothes for my daughters to compete in the Miss America system. If I knew how to post pictures I would post some but haven't gotten that figured out yet -- but am working on it. (Obviously, technology is NOT one of my hobbies) and I am a cheer Mom, which mainly means I drive my daughter to practice and sit there looking supportive and giving her thumbs up when she does something well.
I need to learn how to do grommets. Is it hard?

I'm a big counted cross stitch aficianado. Been doing it for the past 10 years and think I have in the neighborhood of 10+ completed projects.

I also am a pretty big reader as well. Still love going to the library to pick out new books to read
I finished a couple of these. Of course I have about 10 that aren't finished...

Pictures!!!!!

About rocks, I've been enjoying "Prospectors" on The Weather Channel. Colorado is so gorgeous! I would love to see pictures of your jewelry creations!

I've tried to teach myself how to knit using YouTube, but have not gotten the hang of it. One of these days I'll try it again. I admire those of you who are able to do this. Seriously, I just think it is so fascinating!

Latest posts

Back