Money. I may need to spend lots and lots of money.

Spiky Bugger

I hate that. I like HOARDING money.

But...I want to run a sewer line out to the room behind the garage. Technically, it’s a storage room. Historically, people have used it as a spare bedroom. It has survived numerous earthquakes. For ME (or Mr Sue) to use it, we’d insulate walls and probably the ceiling. We’d add more electrical capacity. It has no bathroom, BUT we can fix that when we redo the pool, by adding a “poolside shower and changing room” abutting the existing structure.

I figure that EVENTUALLY, the one of us that outlives the other will move out there and use it as “tiny house” size Granny Flat...a mini apartment that is small, but we’d have access to the real house if needed. Currently, it has a wall of books, a large, but poorly designed...my fault...closet, a CalKing bed, a love seat and a small chair, a few end tables, plus a 6’ long table that COULD be the beginnings of a mini-IKEA-type kitchen. Unfortunately, right now it also has tons of other belongings crammed in there, between all that stuff.

If that were the ONLY project, I might not be so Valium deficient. But the pool, an antique, needs a complete redo, which is as costly as putting in a new pool...AND requires that everything....pool drains, fencing, etc...be brought up to current code. And I want to knock out most of a wall between the (alleged) dining room and install something like a barn door divider. (Actually, I want IKEA to finish testing this stuff.
https://www.housebeautiful.com/room-decorating/a4443/ikea-moveable-walls/
because I think it’s cool.

Right now, our so-called dining room can seat, at most, four people...and nobody can move until everyone is done eating. It’s more like a wide hallway. One wall COULD BE opened up into the bedroom used as our office...but then we’d be permanently reducing the number of bedrooms. But if it were just a BIG doorway, and had those sliding barn door-type doors/dividers...we could have a bigger dining room when needed, but we wouldn’t “lose” a bedroom.

And while we’re at it...the kitchen. It is NOT “aging in place”-friendly. I cannot and he probably should not bend over enough to reach things in the below the counter cabinets. AND AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT, houses as old as I am, and as this house is, did not have the current standard 24” deep countertops. No, no...22” was good enough back then. So they essentially have to be gutted, so we can install usable counters. Apparently, I will never again be able to stand pain-free for any length of time, so I need to install counters at which I can sit. I need a wall oven, because MrSue has to be there to put stuff into or get stuff out of the oven. Microwave should be lower. Sink should be shallow.

And, we need earthquake retrofitting for the foundation of the house. And I just handed over nearly $1k for my high-end cataract surgery and, right after that, I need bunion surgery so that I can start PT and be less of a fall risk. As is, the bunion (it isn’t big) is just uncomfortable enough that I avoid pain by walking funnier than usual. So it has to be fixed before I can even begin physical therapy for my pre-existing walking funny. And these crowding lower front teeth...I need to revisit the orthodontist to see IF anything can be done.

So, I will send a thank you card to the person who starts a GoFundMe for me.

Also, I want a new shower curtain.

Last edited:
One recommendation: induction stove. No fire, no real heat except in the pot. Not sure how the oven part works.

You SURE scraping and starting over wouldn’t be cheaper? Or selling it to someone who might want to do that?

I’m going to have to take my first withdrawal from retirement savings soon, and I haven’t quite retired yet. Charles wants to tear out walls and move plumbing. And that will mean all new floors too. And I still don’t have a hot tub.

One recommendation: induction stove. No fire, no real heat except in the pot. Not sure how the oven part works.

You SURE scraping and starting over wouldn’t be cheaper? Or selling it to someone who might want to do that?

I’m going to have to take my first withdrawal from retirement savings soon, and I haven’t quite retired yet. Charles wants to tear out walls and move plumbing. And that will mean all new floors too. And I still don’t have a hot tub.
How like cooking on an electric stove is an induction cooktop? I loathe and detest electric cooking? But you ARE spot on, as usual. Aging in place pros recommend not-gas cooking.

Meanwhile, I’m deciding how many pots and pans we actually need. Seems I have a bunch of Revere Ware and Farberware, not old enough to qualify as “the good stuff.” But at least 40-45 years old.

ETA...It might be cheaper to move...but he’s staying here. So...somewhat problematic. We’d at least fight over the Revere Ware, right?

Induction cooktops work with cookware to which a magnet will stick. So not aluminum. Beyond that, I’m clueless. I know it will boil a pot of water in like 2 minutes.

If you have cast iron, it also is induction friendly. I despise convection ovens (there isn’t an induction oven). To be honest, I also hate my induction cooktop. I much prefer gas.

Aging in place is not much different than making a house handicap accessible. If you consider sitting to cook, you need a cooktop and a wall over not a range. You need to be able to slip a wheelchair under the stove to get close enough. And a wall oven is better in that regard. Your sink will need to be cleared underneath. If you google “ada kitchen design” you will see options and photos.

If you have cast iron, it also is induction friendly. I despise convection ovens (there isn’t an induction oven). To be honest, I also hate my induction cooktop. I much prefer gas.

Aging in place is not much different than making a house handicap accessible. If you consider sitting to cook, you need a cooktop and a wall over not a range. You need to be able to slip a wheelchair under the stove to get close enough. And a wall oven is better in that regard. Your sink will need to be cleared underneath. If you google “ada kitchen design” you will see options and photos.
I need to keep reading. There are lots of things for wheelchair people. And those designs put everything down low. But that’s too low for me. Right now, anyway. I’m more a counter-height/bar-height girl. I’m not supposed to bend
More than 30°, like the chick in the middle...extremely limiting and NOT the same need as a wheelchair person. So as usual, I’m weird.
Also, I cannot show extreme respect (45°) in Japan. So don’t send me.

Fill the pool in! They are a massive hassle. Put in a pond and a mini meadow

Fill the pool in! They are a massive hassle. Put in a pond and a mini meadow

That will cost over $30,000. Just to fill it in. We checked.

We will make it smaller and shallow (our doctors want us to walk in the water), right next to your poolside room and bathroom. See how that works?

(Either that or we can turn it into an AirBnB thing for Keshishian patients...but don’t tell him.)

£30k naaaaaahhhh they are playing you! I need to visit. Planning my body lift 2020 in Mexico so I’ll need a cranky helper. Looking at you........

Where in Mexico?

Keep in mind that these are AVERAGE costs, that we don’t live in a low cost area, that the equipment needed to do the job is big enough that we will likely have to remove and replace fencing and the damned driveway.

I put our data into an online calculator. This does not include the fill soil or fence work, driveway, building permits and eventual landscaping:

I am very familiar with the crossing at the border there. And I think my passport is still valid. I may need you to be
MY helper, though.

And depending on how the 2020 elections go, crossing MIGHT be less insane after Jan 20, 2021...just sayin’.

Latest posts

Back