So, the chron ran, and there are new folks here ...

Cajungirl, he says he makes his own. First he said he put a small amount of rice in it and didn't know that was a carb. Now he's indignantly stating it's cauliflower rice and therefore not a carb. I asked him if he knew what a cruciferous vegetable was and what they did to normal bowels. He's dense and unteachable. He is a very good example of who I personally think should be screened out from getting the DS.

Cajungirl, he says he makes his own. First he said he put a small amount of rice in it and didn't know that was a carb. Now he's indignantly stating it's cauliflower rice and therefore not a carb. I asked him if he knew what a cruciferous vegetable was and what they did to normal bowels. He's dense and unteachable. He is a very good example of who I personally think should be screened out from getting the DS.
He's probably thinking a bit too much about Atkins, and forgetting that even low carb veggies can cause digestive problems, which DSers also have to consider. Cauliflower rice is classic Atkins.

Just to play devil's advocate... Out of all the veggies I've tried so far, and lord knows why because it goes against all logic, but cabbage and cauliflower don't bother me, while iceberg lettuce, field greens and spinach all do. The more cruciferous ones that would've given me gas pre op don't stress my insides out now. Of course, I only have small servings, but weird but true.

Each of us is individual....I also tolerated things like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage early on. Still do but I drown them in butter or cheese or my Mother's fake Hollandaise (1 cup of Duke's mayo and 1 stick of butter blended together). I also handle lettuce well but tend to not use it much...I make my salads using MAYBE an oz of lettuce.

But I know not everyone has an iron gut (mine is developing issues late in the game).

What a travesty. There is no substitution for real boudin.

You might know it as something else. It's basically a stuffed sausage type food. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudin
Thanks for the link. I have heard of blood sausage (very British) which seems to be what the boudin noir is, but I've never had it. I haven't come across the other varieties, although that's not to say they're not around (by that or another name). Definitely not standard Aussie fair, though.

I remember having a conversation in a thread with him over there in the long pre-OP period regarding eating carbs and crap. I believe I even talked about the forms that simple carbs could take. And how he'd have to change that with the DS or the RNY because it would sabotage the weight loss effort. Good to know my unending patience totally paid off and I can clearly see what I said didn't just go in one ear and out the other [/sarcasm].

Sadly none of what I read surprises me in the least. I just can't buy this whole "gee, what's a carb" business.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back