One week out and I have an unpleasant, localized pain. Any ideas?

Marquis Mark

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your support and kind wishes. I'm one week out today and all's been going quite well. No prob with fluids. I can easily do 80-90 ounces now. No nausea, vomiting and I haven't crapped my pants.

I'm planning to file a full report once I've got a little more energy back.

In the meantime, the only pain I really want to ask about is one in MY upper, left, middle abdomen. It's very pointed. If I lie on my back it's fine, but when I move around it starts to ache and makes further movement fairly uncomfortable, unless I take my liquid Vicodin, in which case it decreases it somewhat. I think I can rule out the GB since that pain usually presents on the right. Also, Dr. Belzberg said my GB looked good. Also, I think my three anastamosis are located elsewhere. It's about 1" to my right of a large 12 cm port (my uppermost).

It's not crippling pain, but it is the first thing that has gotten worse instead of better and it's somewhat impeding my movement which is not good because I know it's important to move.
It started this morning. My surgery started Lap but went open.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

MM

GB pain doesn't always present on the right side. I had referred pain near the area you are describing. Now that doesn't mean it is your GB.

Just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or won't go away get hold of your Dr or if bad enough go to the ER.

I had some discomfort in that area about a week out... and then I pooped for the first time since the surgery. Have you had a bowel movement? (Rhetorical question.)

I had some discomfort in that area about a week out... and then I pooped for the first time since the surgery. Have you had a bowel movement? (Rhetorical question.)
that is a good point. Since the DS I can feel stuff all the way through my system and when I poop I can feel things moving on down the line. That often makes those odd pains disappear.

I've had a tiny, liquid, no food in my system bm for the past few days. I'm going to try tightening my stretchy waist binder now...

I would chalk this up to "surgery pain" for now. You are brand spankin' new inside right now. It is going to be weeks and weeks until everything is healed. Of course, if things don't feel better within a few days or worsen, go to the emergency room.

It is most likely something related to the incision or some such thing, but let Dr. Belzberg know if it persists. He's the boss.

I found I had thing after my RNY to VSG revision. I think it was operative pain in my case and it eventually resolved. Was fairly intense (and scary) at times. I would keep an eye on it and follow up with someone if it gets worse instead of better. Best of luck!

I've discovered that if i push up and in (like a Heimlich) on my gut in that side, the pain subsides. Dr. B said it's normal -- just keep watching. Alright, this is out of my hands now!

I would advise against pushing too much like that. You still have stuff healing up in their and you don't want to pop something.

I would advise against pushing too much like that. You still have stuff healing up in their and you don't want to pop something.

push is a strong word. It's more like using the waist binder they gave me, but to exert upward pressure instead of inward,

Latest posts

Back