Differential Diagnosis of Abdominal Pain

DianaCox

Bad Cop
This was news to me.

Everyone who has had abdominal surgery is more at risk of having issues with intestinal obstructions from scar tissue, adhesions, Peterson’s spaces (voids in the abdomen from weight loss), mesentery defects not closed during surgery, incisional hernias, and other stuff. We need to be aware of the potentially serious implications and be aware that sometimes going to the ER is necessary, if only to rule out something bad.

We may be loath to go sometimes, because NOBODY wants to spend 5 hours in the ER, risking a big copayment if the insurance company says you overreacted, plus the fear of being told it’s gas or we’re full of shit.

So, it’s important to know all the signs that you need to go, as well as how to explain your surgery. For example, that if you have a biliopancreatic limb, you can have a blockage even if you’re pooping and farting, and that you need a CT with both oral and IV contrast. Plus understanding some of the possibilities that can be something else.
For a scientist of a certain age, it was a bit of a shock to find out yesterday that I have an abdominal organ (actually about 50 - 100 of them!) that I never heard of before. Can you guess how I found out about them?

I had an adventure in the ER yesterday. I’ve had lower left quadrant pain for several days, which didn’t hurt as long as I was not moving, but very sharp pains if I moved, or put even the lightest pressure on my abdomen over approximately where I think my ovary is. It had been the same each day, but today was noticeably worse. I was pooping and farting just fine (although just before one of those events, the pain would suddenly get much worse, then settle back down as soon as I started pooping or farted).

My own differential diagnosis:
  • A kink or blockage in my biliopancreatic limb
  • Diverticulitis (my colonoscopy last year noted I had it, although I’ve had no symptoms)
  • Twisted ovary
  • Ovarian cyst, possibly ruptured (previous ultrasounds have noted I had one)
  • Incisional hernia or something else related to my abdominoplasty 4 years ago.

I had blood work (slightly elevated white count, nothing else notable), urinalysis, and a CT with both oral and IV contrast. It turned out I have a rare but painful condition I’ve never heard of: epiploic appendagitis.

Plus I had a 28 mm ovarian cyst that might be a problem too, but I think it’s been there a while.

I’m relieved it wasn’t a surgical issue, and that it will go away by itself. But I’m fascinated to find a have a body part I’ve never heard of, which should be considered as part of a differential diagnosis of belly pain.

But goddamned it - for something not serious, it sure hurts a lot! It should resolve by itself in a few days. And my cats keep wanting to walk with their pointy feet and weighty bodies right on my belly.

Attachments

• 2C086C3A-62BC-4127-8510-2C2FB5370ACA.jpeg
    2C086C3A-62BC-4127-8510-2C2FB5370ACA.jpeg
    762.6 KB · Views: 1
I was just thinking the same thing. If anyone here was going to get something ridiculously obscure...

I’m still gobsmacked that I never HEARD of this before - not the disorder or even the structure. One of my (male) cousins commented on my Facebook post about this that he had had it - a genetic predisposition? I hope not!

Hi I’m new bless you hope you’re feeling better. I will post my journey soon. I too have same problem terrible pain. I found a surgeon who is ordering sitz marker test. Study of how my bowels move and looking for internal blockages. Also another ct of my belly again. My gi physicians don’t care, or tired of all my problems. The test will also tell if my bowels are dead or dying. Hope for something I do know my first connection is too tight. Hard to have all this fun. I had multiple failed Nissan over twenty years. Best luck hope you find your answers and much needed relief.

One interesting thing about epiploic appendagitis - besides that it is very painful and yet benign and self-resolving - is that there is no pain when not moving. No nausea, vomiting, or bowel issues (other than bearing down to poop hurt a bit). Quite different from bowel obstruction in that regard.
My pain is almost 100% resolved now.

Given our relationship(s) with NSAIDS, is there a Plan B for subsequent events?

From Wikipedia:

Management
Epiploic appendagitis is self-limiting and can be managed conservatively with NSAIDs.

Honestly, I didn’t need pain meds, since it didn’t hurt unless I moved. And the kind of pain I had when I moved was not the kind that NSAIDs would help.

But I’d go to narcotics from my stash of expired meds as a Plan B.

Given our relationship(s) with NSAIDS, is there a Plan B for subsequent events?

From Wikipedia:

Management
Epiploic appendagitis is self-limiting and can be managed conservatively with NSAIDs.

What's wrong with NSAIDS... I thought they were OK for VSG and related DS and SADI surgery ?

What's wrong with NSAIDS... I thought they were OK for VSG and related DS and SADI surgery ?
They’re fine unless you’re prone to gastritis like I seem to be. I’m on round two. Last time they said it was due to my taking NSAIDs. This time, no known cause as the only NSAID I use is topical. And I don’t have any other factors in developing it. Mine seem to be idiopathic. But it also means I need to avoid NSAIDs.

It is my understanding (<—giant disclaimer right there) occasional, short-term use is generally fine.

But, for many…including non-bariatric-surgery people…NSAIDs are tough on the stomach lining even when you have an intact stomach and, to a lesser degree, tough on the small (I think) intestine.

I don’t recall where I was first warned, but the explanation was that if routine ingestion of 400 mg of Ibuprofen can irritate an intact stomach, those of us with less than original equipment stomachs should exercise caution.

HOWEVER—and excuse this elementary school logic/explanation but that’s where I live—I came to understand that it was a matter of chemistry not geography. That is, it isn’t the time that NSAIDs spend sitting in your stomach that cause the problem. (We know that because even topicals like Voltaren list gastro side effects, although to a lesser degree.) It‘s the activities that NSAIDs turn on/off that eventually cause the problem.

But actual science people discuss it in various locations. Here’s one:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3045681/

PS—when my prescribed dosage of oxycodone plus acetaminophen don’t provide sufficient pain relief…usually big changing-weather days…back when, it was called “grandpa’s barometer bunion”…I hesitatingly take a couple of Ibuprofen and they are usually a great help. But I limit usage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back