Medical Bracelet and other emergancy stuff

Rutb

I know that this probably has been answered before, but I cannot seem to find a thread.

As I am working through getting pre-op stages, I was thinking about how to handle medical emergencies after surgery. Obviously, if I am alert, I am perfectly capable of explaining thing. However, a circumstance could exist where I am not able to communicate to the emergency room staff. What do you all have in place for that scenario? Do you have one of those medical alert bracelets? What did you put on it? Do you keep the packet of paperwork in your purse (and I feel sorry if a man has to put it in his back pocket)? I guess I can just scan everything as a PDF and keep it on a thumb drive on my person (probably a better idea).

There's something on DSfacts.com, lemme see if I can find the link, I have it saved to print out, but still haven't bought a printer since mine died o_O

Something to be aware of is that more and more hospitals/offices are becoming wary of plugging in strange thumb drives into their network because of the risk of their computer getting a virus. I have the emergency card in my wallet, car and on my phone. I have also thoroughly educated my emergency contact (in-state sister) as to what to say to professionals in case I am unable to advocate for myself.

I already had a medic alert necklace due to other issues LONG before my WLS. In fact, mine dates back to 1980's. So yes, I did ADD my DS to the list but I didn't bother getting a new necklace just because of the DS.
My necklace is this one: http://www.medicalert.org/products/everybody/two-tone-medical-id-pendant-chain
I do not like bracelets, I hate/despise the clack they make when I am writing/typing/etc. (the noise just bothers me) And I had the awful thought of what if I am in an accident and lose my hand/arm/etc. However a necklace, if I lose my head, it won't matter if it comes off then. :)

There is also an app. you can find it on the Google Play Store for free, it has some tracking also a card showing what has been done.

The problem with apps is the lock out screen many have, esp the iPhone with the newest OS. You either have to disable the lockout screen or know the code to get into the app.

I have a text note on my ICE notification on my phone with basic medical info, including that I have a DS. I do not wear a medical bracelet because there is almost NOTHING that could happen in an emergency situation that would require that the docs know instantly about the DS.

I carry Dr. Keshishian's business card in my wallet and husband has one also. It has a diagram of the DS on it. (also found on dsfacts.com) I also thought about getting a medic alert bracelet when I was pre-op. I soon realized saying I had the duodenal switch was virtually useless. No one knows anything about it!

I have had a bracelet since '95 due to some allergies. It also says Duodenal Switch on it. The 2x I've been in the ER they told me they don't go through a patient's wallet looking for medical info., nor will they use a USB due to virus issues. With the bracelet (or necklace) they call the 800# and your info. (which you fill in yourself online or on the phone with a MedicAlert associate) is read off to the ER staff.

Latest posts

Back