Gall Bladder Attacks with No Gall Bladder?

Webmommy

It’s me again with what seems like another complication for me!

I had gall bladder out in 2016 and it was completely scarred over and full of gallstones. They said I was lucky that it didn’t become gangrenous. But I had twinges of pain ever since then and after awhile I had that awful diarrhea ever since except the time I was pregnant 2017-2018 and also after the DS. My GI doctor prescribed Welchol. But now I am always so prone to constipation. Then a couple months after having the baby I had a CT scan because I was having some tearing pain in my abdomen and thought it was a hernia or something with my csection. The CT showed non alcoholic fatty liver disease but my liver enzymes were normal. I followed up with my GI doctor because there’s pain occasionally like pinching and she said that the liver can be encapsulated and when you eat something fatty it can contract but she has me follow up in six months and I do.

2019 I had the DS and THEN my liver enzymes were elevated and kept raising even past one year. But hey this was supposed to be resolving!! Why is it increasing? It’s been a year and a half and I STILL have elevated liver enzymes! I went back to my GI doctor this fall and she does blood work and I have an ultrasound and it’s normal but I still have pain so she referred me to a hepatologist and my appointment is Thursday. But tonight I had a terrible gall bladder attack and it hurt, took my breath away and I had pain under my right collarbone. It was that very familiar feeling of being hooked up to a Medieval torture device called the intestinal crank. Only I need to repeat that I don’t have my gall bladder.

I took a 1/4 of a Norco and so far it is helping. I still feel that twisting around but it’s tolerable. I don’t know if this is DS related, a bowel obstruction, or pancreatitis or Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction but I guess narcotics make it worse? I haven’t taken a full one in about a couple weeks and I took a quarter on Thursday with a muscle relaxant because my body was hurting badly from the errands I did. It didn’t seem to have a reaction. There isn’t a pattern to what causes this pain or twisting. Sometimes it’s bacon and tonight it was crispy Parmesan with chicken salad. But then some days those things don’t cause any pain.

So now that you have all these details and thank you for making it this far. At which point is this an emergency where I would want to risk going to an ER? The hospitals are full in DFW. I want to tough it out until my appointment but I know nothing will be resolved that day and I will only need more tests and scans. Is this something that I should contact Dr. Ayoola about and go to the hospital where he has privileges or just my much closer and bigger hospital near me? I also have my 18 months DS post op appointment on Monday. I probably will send a message but I know they will say what they always say which is if I am in a lot of pain I should go to the ER. But I don’t want to risk getting Covid!

Thanks!

It’s me again with what seems like another complication for me!

I had gall bladder out in 2016 and it was completely scarred over and full of gallstones. They said I was lucky that it didn’t become gangrenous. But I had twinges of pain ever since then and after awhile I had that awful diarrhea ever since except the time I was pregnant 2017-2018 and also after the DS. My GI doctor prescribed Welchol. But now I am always so prone to constipation. Then a couple months after having the baby I had a CT scan because I was having some tearing pain in my abdomen and thought it was a hernia or something with my csection. The CT showed non alcoholic fatty liver disease but my liver enzymes were normal. I followed up with my GI doctor because there’s pain occasionally like pinching and she said that the liver can be encapsulated and when you eat something fatty it can contract but she has me follow up in six months and I do.

2019 I had the DS and THEN my liver enzymes were elevated and kept raising even past one year. But hey this was supposed to be resolving!! Why is it increasing? It’s been a year and a half and I STILL have elevated liver enzymes! I went back to my GI doctor this fall and she does blood work and I have an ultrasound and it’s normal but I still have pain so she referred me to a hepatologist and my appointment is Thursday. But tonight I had a terrible gall bladder attack and it hurt, took my breath away and I had pain under my right collarbone. It was that very familiar feeling of being hooked up to a Medieval torture device called the intestinal crank. Only I need to repeat that I don’t have my gall bladder.

I took a 1/4 of a Norco and so far it is helping. I still feel that twisting around but it’s tolerable. I don’t know if this is DS related, a bowel obstruction, or pancreatitis or Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction but I guess narcotics make it worse? I haven’t taken a full one in about a couple weeks and I took a quarter on Thursday with a muscle relaxant because my body was hurting badly from the errands I did. It didn’t seem to have a reaction. There isn’t a pattern to what causes this pain or twisting. Sometimes it’s bacon and tonight it was crispy Parmesan with chicken salad. But then some days those things don’t cause any pain.

So now that you have all these details and thank you for making it this far. At which point is this an emergency where I would want to risk going to an ER? The hospitals are full in DFW. I want to tough it out until my appointment but I know nothing will be resolved that day and I will only need more tests and scans. Is this something that I should contact Dr. Ayoola about and go to the hospital where he has privileges or just my much closer and bigger hospital near me? I also have my 18 months DS post op appointment on Monday. I probably will send a message but I know they will say what they always say which is if I am in a lot of pain I should go to the ER. But I don’t want to risk getting Covid!

Thanks!
Since you appt is Monday, unless the pain is unbearable, I’d wait for your appointment. But only you can decide what is unbearable. It’s not actually your gall bladder but Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction

Could be sphincter of Oddi dysfunction, could also be a gallstone in your common bile duct. They can hide in the bile ducts even after your gall bladder is removed and show up a long time later. Or could be something else altogether.
Definitely needs to be sorted out. I don't think any of us can tell you whether or not to go to the ER today, and of course we understand your concerns about COVID. But one of the (many) problems with this pandemic is that people who do need ER care aren't going to the ER in a timely manner because of their very understandable fears. So I don't know what to say about that.

Could be sphincter of Oddi dysfunction, could also be a gallstone in your common bile duct. They can hide in the bile ducts even after your gall bladder is removed and show up a long time later. Or could be something else altogether.
Definitely needs to be sorted out. I don't think any of us can tell you whether or not to go to the ER today, and of course we understand your concerns about COVID. But one of the (many) problems with this pandemic is that people who do need ER care aren't going to the ER in a timely manner because of their very understandable fears. So I don't know what to say about that.
Yes to all of this!! I am just overthinking it all. Today I feel okay in that area so I am going to stay home. If it starts up again and doesn’t go away then I will go.

I had an ultrasound months ago looking for a gallstone in the ducts but nothing was there so my GI referred me to the liver doctor.

I am just overthinking it all. Today I feel okay in that area so I am going to stay home. If it starts up again and doesn’t go away then I will go.

oh, how awful not knowing what is the best thing to do: of course you are over-thinking it. I hope it doesn't start up again but if it does, well, put on a mask and go. (there are less safe places to be than an ER, like any grocery store I would guess)

keep us updated!

:5grouphug:

I'm so sorry to hear you are in pain. That's awful. :( Hope you are feeling more comfortable now and that the underlying issue is resolved quickly.

Every test has it's strengths and weaknesses. Ultrasound is excellent for looking for gall stones in the gall bladder, which of course is no longer an issue for you. However, for looking for a stone in your bile ducts, it's only 50% accurate (compared for 95% for stones in gall bladder) so don't let that negative ultrasound give you a false sense of security.

Every test has it's strengths and weaknesses. Ultrasound is excellent for looking for gall stones in the gall bladder, which of course is no longer an issue for you. However, for looking for a stone in your bile ducts, it's only 50% accurate (compared for 95% for stones in gall bladder) so don't let that negative ultrasound give you a false sense of security.
Oooh that is good to know!! I know there’s more types of diagnostic scans that could be done so I will look forward to what the Liver Doctor says on Thursday.

oh, how awful not knowing what is the best thing to do: of course you are over-thinking it. I hope it doesn't start up again but if it does, well, put on a mask and go. (there are less safe places to be than an ER, like any grocery store I would guess)

keep us updated!

:5grouphug:

My friend’s husband had the flu, Covid and then double pneumonia and when they went to the ER it was full and there were no beds at all in the entire DFW metroplex. They were talking about sending him to Arkansas or Houston. It was pretty bad and she and her toddler had it as well.

Also my middle name is Overthinker!!!

I'm so sorry to hear you are in pain. That's awful. :( Hope you are feeling more comfortable now and that the underlying issue is resolved quickly.
Webmommy How are you feeling now? Hopefully better. Thinking of you.

Thank you! It has been okay. This afternoon it was tender and my stomach was empty because I hadn’t eaten anything yet for the day except for maybe only sips of water. The kids and I go to bed really late and get up REALLY late so that they’re quiet while my husband works from home. Then tonight it twisted up some but I took one of my muscle relaxers so that seems to be working. So far! In the back of my mind I am thinking about what happened to you and that’s also got me overthinking.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this.

I've had both: gallstones in the duct after my gb was removed and sphincter of Oddi pain. The pain is no joke. I had to take an Oxy for the gallstones. I went to the ER for the gallstones but not the sphincter of Oddi pain as I was pretty sure what it was as I'd just taken a painkiller after surgery on my ankle. I now only take small amounts of a painkiller after surgery (spaced out at least 30-60 min) and this seems to have helped so I'm unsure if your Narco is helping or hurting. But the fact that you only took 1/4 is probably for the best. Hopefully, it makes the pain at least tolerable for now.

Latest posts

Back