Hello from Utah

Awimmer

I look forward to “meeting” all of you.
Most of the stories I hear are from people who say they’ve struggled with weight their whole life. This is not me. Growing up I ate whatever I wanted and didn’t even think about it.
This all changed after I started having children. Each pregnancy I gained 30 pounds and then lost 20. Which was a net gain of 10 pounds each pregnancy. I had eight babies so that’s an extra 80 pounds! Also I used the depo shot for a bit and that added another 15.
I have tried so many things (I’m sure everyone here can relate)
A few years ago I had a coworker mention that they had Bariatric surgery and that our insurance paid for it. I had no idea that was a possibility! I researched what was required and realized that I would probably qualify, so I did everything required and was pre authorized in 2019. My pre authorization was good for a year and I didn’t have enough PTO so I decided to wait. In the meantime, I tried one more thing and was able to lose 40 pounds. I thought “oh, maybe I can do this myself” wrong! I couldn’t keep it up, I gained back 35 pounds. Last year I did a program called Calibrate. It was amazing, they did labs that my pcp had never done, I found out that I am insulin resistant so they prescribed metformin. I had a one on one coaching call every two weeks. They also prescribed Wegovy. They had classes on all the pillars that affect our weight, sleep, emotional health, stress, food, and physical activity. I almost got to onederland, but the program ended and on top of that, my insurance started doing strange things with my Wegovy prescription so I was without it for almost 5 months. In those few months the weight all came back plus some UGH.
This year my husband has had to have some procedures and our deductible is already met, plus our out of pocket maximum has almost been met, so I decided that it is a good time to get this done.
Right now I am just waiting for my insurance pre approval and then I’m ready

thanks for reading all of this!

I’m getting the SADI with Dr Medlin in SLC ut

Hi Awimmer - there are a couple of people around who have had that procedure here, but most here selected the full, two anastomoses duodenal switch specifically for the selective malabsorption as dieting didn't work for us. You will want to take that into account when reading posts with advice on nutrition. My understanding is that people who have had the SADI will need to be on a strict diet to maintain weight loss, whereas the traditional DS patient has a great deal of flexibility and can/should eat more fats (and more vitamins). I'm not familiar with Dr. Medlin, maybe others here are. Best wishes on your journey!

Last edited:
Why did you chose the SADI, just curious.
As I researched all the options I knew that I wanted one that had the long term success rate. I really liked the idea of the DS and then when I learned that the SADI has a similar success rate with fewer risks I realized that was the one for me.

Welcome, Awimmer! there is a lot of info on this board.

what?! that's terrible.
Yeah it was awful. First they say I can’t get it at my local pharmacy anymore, so my dr sends the Rx to the mail order pharmacy, then I get a letter saying that it’s not eligible for home delivery. Ugh! So I call and they say it has to be a 90 day Rx, so my dr sends in a 90 day Rx… I call them to make sure they have it, they tell me yep and their processing it. It never came, so then I call and ask why, they say oh the pre authorization expired and your doctor has to complete a new one. They said they sent it to him. So, I wait for that, my doctor tells me he didn’t get it. I call them again….they sent it to the wrong doctor….Well, by now I have left my previous job and we are on just my husbands insurance. I ask my doctor to try again and TADA it worked!

Yeah it was awful. First they say I can’t get it at my local pharmacy anymore, so my dr sends the Rx to the mail order pharmacy, then I get a letter saying that it’s not eligible for home delivery. Ugh! So I call and they say it has to be a 90 day Rx, so my dr sends in a 90 day Rx… I call them to make sure they have it, they tell me yep and their processing it. It never came, so then I call and ask why, they say oh the pre authorization expired and your doctor has to complete a new one. They said they sent it to him. So, I wait for that, my doctor tells me he didn’t get it. I call them again….they sent it to the wrong doctor….Well, by now I have left my previous job and we are on just my husbands insurance. I ask my doctor to try again and TADA it worked!

Wow, insurance sure can be a pain! But hi, I'm new as well, so nice to "meet" you. :)

As I researched all the options I knew that I wanted one that had the long term success rate. I really liked the idea of the DS and then when I learned that the SADI has a similar success rate with fewer risks I realized that was the one for me.
So after much consideration and seeing discussions about that particular practice I have decided to go with the traditional. And I’m changing providers. I know that it might delay things, but this is for the rest of my life so a few weeks or months is worth getting the right procedure

Latest posts

Back