Labs

Svetlana Leigh

I had my labs drawn today. I had surgery back in June 2016. My family doctor resigned and I didn't like his replacement so I requested a new physician who couldn't see me till November. He read over my charts and then the nurse came in and drew blood. She only took 5 vials. I don't think she took enough blood to check everything that needed to be checked. One vial was wrapped in aluminum foil. I asked her what all was she checking for and she said a lot of vitamin deficiencies. One lady I spoke to in another group told me they took 15 vials of blood from her when she has her labs checked. I'm a bit concerned....

That's odd. The lab I use at Edwards reads you every single draw. They confirm each one by name before they even draw blood so you know exactly what is being done to you. You can get the lab order from your doctor.

My hospital system upgraded their lab equipment and I think instead of 14 or 15 vials it is now around 9. Five does not sound like enough and as mentioned they should have had you look over every label on which the the test name should have been printed out.

I had my first draw Friday and she took 20! I kid you not. I haven't got results yet and I'm very nervous. I opted to use Stars Direct Lab company and told THEM what tests I wanted run. I knew my NP would never agree to run all I needed. Paying isn't fun but worth it.

The foil is good. It protects the blood from light (for certain tests). However I, too, have more than 5 vials done. I'm trying to recall if I had that few in the beginning. I can't remember. I've had 10-20 vials done for as long as I can remember.

When she was taking my blood she said some had to be frozen and some were light sensitive and she was putting the foils around those. It was a Quest Lab (that's what Star's company uses now, although I think it was formerly Lab Corp). The girl at the desk looked at my draw list and said "this is quite an extensive list" in a voice full of disbelief. Then when someone would come in and ask how long it would be she'd say something like, well, it'll be a while, as I have someone next who has lots and lots of tests. I wasn't real happy and told her I didn't realize I was being so much trouble. She apologized and said she didn't mean to make me feel that way at all, blah, blah, she was the only one here that day, usually not just her alone, blah, blah. She got me on the first stick which was good because often I am a hard stick with veins that are hard to find. I had been pushing liquids for a couple of days extra hard to try to plump them up and I guess it helped. She didn't quite have enough vials filled when the fountain dried up. She said I was clotting which is what the body is supposed to do. So...to the other arm we went and she got me there first stick too but it didn't last very long and she wasn't sure if she had enough in the very last vial or not but she thought maybe it would work. If not, she'd call me to come back in. I haven't heard from her, so hopefully I won't have to go again. I wanted her to get more blood that day but she said she didn't want to.

This is what I found in my documentation that was given to me. I didn't realize that it was noted in my paperwork until today. As I suspected, they didn't check for enough vitamin deficiencies.

Attachments

• Labs FullSizeRender.jpg
    Labs FullSizeRender.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 5
That's odd. The lab I use at Edwards reads you every single draw. They confirm each one by name before they even draw blood so you know exactly what is being done to you. You can get the lab order from your doctor.

I've been going to a place called Summit Medical Group since the late 90's and they've never confirmed any of my draws. I may have to go elsewhere to get what I need.

I have used both Lab Corp and Quest using the lab slip generated here: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/generic-ds-lab-order.191/
Both labs yield 13 for me, 14 for my hubby who has a PSA test as well.

Thank you for the lab slip. I have the feeling that getting my labs drawn is going to be a little more complicated than I imagined. My gynecologist had the RNY done a few years ago so I may have better luck going to see her. I think she will be a little more educated than my primary care physician.

I had my first draw Friday and she took 20! I kid you not. I haven't got results yet and I'm very nervous. I opted to use Stars Direct Lab company and told THEM what tests I wanted run. I knew my NP would never agree to run all I needed. Paying isn't fun but worth it.

I agree. I'm sure that I will probably have to do the same. My new physician was clueless about the procedure that I had. He did ask questions and made copies of my documentation from my surgeon. Since he is new to me, he was really hard to read. My old physician was awesome and wasn't put off by much of anything and seemed eager to learn about different things. I'm going to miss him.

Definitely want to get your A, E & K tested. BTW, don't be overly surprised if your Gyno who had the RnY isn't any more in tune with your lab needs. Hopefully she is but the DS is the red headed step child of Bariatric Surgery even though it is the only one that actually works long term.

Definitely want to get your A, E & K tested. BTW, don't be overly surprised if your Gyno who had the RnY isn't any more in tune with your lab needs. Hopefully she is but the DS is the red headed step child of Bariatric Surgery even though it is the only one that actually works long term.

Thanks for the heads up. I probably should get my iron and calcium checked. I'm not taking either of them. I take everything else though.

Your are welcome and sorry I forgot about iron. You definitely need to get a full iron panel. Calcium will be on your CMP. FYI - your body will leach calcium from your bones so it is very probable that our blood serum calcium levels will show fine.....and that reminds me, PTH is another you absolutely need checked.

BTW, you absolutely have to take calcium. Not to mention the risk of bone problems you are also putting yourself at very high risk of kidney stones by not taking calcium. I use the Jarrow Bone up 3 a day formula (1,000 mg) but take 6 as we need at least 2,000 a day. It isn't constipating like the cheaper calcium citrate.

Iron, most women need it especially if pre menopausal so you definitely want to find out.

Your are welcome and sorry I forgot about iron. You definitely need to get a full iron panel. Calcium will be on your CMP. FYI - your body will leach calcium from your bones so it is very probable that our blood serum calcium levels will show fine.....and that reminds me, PTH is another you absolutely need checked.

BTW, you absolutely have to take calcium. Not to mention the risk of bone problems you are also putting yourself at very high risk of kidney stones by not taking calcium. I use the Jarrow Bone up 3 a day formula (1,000 mg) but take 6 as we need at least 2,000 a day. It isn't constipating like the cheaper calcium citrate.

Iron, most women need it especially if pre menopausal so you definitely want to find out.

I thought that taking calcium tablets increases the chances of getting kidney stones. Thats one of the reasons I won't take them. Maybe I've been misinformed. Also, what is CMP and PTH?

Latest posts

Back