I may have to beat up my hematologist.

Spiky Bugger

Shorter version:

On 2/28, my PT was 20 sec (range 9.1-11.5), PTT was 39 sec (range 23-32), INR was 2 Ratio (Range 0.9-1.1), not good.
Three days later,
On 3/3, my PT was 21.5 sec, PTT was 41 sec, INR was “2.1 Ratio.”

So, in three days, it took 1.5-2 seconds longer for my blood to clot. (I wonder what 20 days will do!)

I was treated, and the numbers went to:
PT was 10.7 sec (range 9.1-11.5), PTT was 30 sec (range 23-32), INR was 1.1 Ratio (Range 0.9-1.1)

Hemaologist thinks that since I had a deficiency and it was treated, everything should be just hunkey dorey for surgery on 3/31, even though
I was RIGHT UP AGAINST the range limits on 3/11, ten days ago. And it’s ten MORE days until surgery.

He’s just not grasping that my inability to absorb Vitamin K is not a “one off.” It’s not “fixed,” just because I had massive doses of Vitamin K. The surgeon wants to defer to the hematologist, because he is all-knowing re blood stuff. And he’s being a “I’m a doctor; there’s nothing left for me to learn” horse’s ass.

But, I finally have options! I can order my own PTT/INR/PT lab tests. It will cost $39 for the test and $6, for the doctor who signs off on the order. Since it looks like the hospital billed Medicare over $500 for the same tests, I’m don’t mind paying $45 to prove I’m smarter! Lol

Anyway, if you need to work AROUND your doctors re lab tests, you have options. And RNY people? You can check your Vitamin B-12 tested for $49, or $79 with B-12 and Folate.

So, there.

Well, crap! I Mean…I hate causing a stink to get what I believe I need and then “the other side” is just all cooperative and I’m the hysterical person.

Anyway, I badgered my surgeon’s office into ordering the test.

But here’s what I learned:
•there are several “order your own tests“ companies.
•in my area, there is a TINY, like $6-8 charge for having a doctor write the order.
•the companies, here anyway, all work with Quest and/or LabCorp.
•BUT, upon further inquiry, it turns out we don’t need the middlemen as Q and LC will do it w/out them.

So, I don’t want to “recommend” a place I didn’t use that turns out to be unnecessary.

QuestDirect is $39, plus $6 “physician fee.”
LabCorp on Demand has a website that confuses me.

The “middleman” places have names like LabsDirect, Private MD Labs, HealthLabs, UltaLabTests, and so on.

Wanna get your panties in a bunch? The charges for the test I want/need are under $50. The hospital billed Medicare $542 for the same test. Maybe it SHOULD cost a little more because the results come back in an hour or so. But that is just wrong.

Last edited:
DirectLabs is owned by a DSer so use her services if you can.

We are trying to prove the the hospital lab (using LabCorp) is screwing up our D tests. Now we know for a fact that LabCorp can give exact values but for some damn reason, this hospital system only reports it up to 120. It’s reported both of us as above 120. This last time, Charles and I got a D test thru Direct Kabs and pulled it the next day. Mine was 95, his 93. Now I could have understood a 5 +/- variance but not that big if one. we took our results to our PCP, she was puzzled as to why it was so off. So when we have ours done next month, we are getting the Direct Lab done the same day as the hospital set. And giving her the results. If she has a second set as screwy, she can go to the hospital and say, ok, WHY?

Well, my surgeon finally ordered the tests. And, she ordered them STAT (so we have time to treat if I’ve slipped down below range but I couldn’t have done that) and because I didn’t want differences being chalked up to “you used a different lab,” I went back to Quest. I had a $90 copay and I need to learn why.

DirectLabs is owned by a DSer so use her services if you can.

We are trying to prove the the hospital lab (using LabCorp) is screwing up our D tests. Now we know for a fact that LabCorp can give exact values but for some damn reason, this hospital system only reports it up to 120. It’s reported both of us as above 120. This last time, Charles and I got a D test thru Direct Kabs and pulled it the next day. Mine was 95, his 93. Now I could have understood a 5 +/- variance but not that big if one. we took our results to our PCP, she was puzzled as to why it was so off. So when we have ours done next month, we are getting the Direct Lab done the same day as the hospital set. And giving her the results. If she has a second set as screwy, she can go to the hospital and say, ok, WHY?
Are there any independent labs or even Quest near you?

Well, my surgeon finally ordered the tests. And, she ordered them STAT (so we have time to treat if I’ve slipped down below range but I couldn’t have done that) and because I didn’t want differences being chalked up to “you used a different lab,” I went back to Quest. I had a $90 copay and I need to learn why.

Just for fun and because I was still up for a fight, I called my insurance to see why I suddenly had a copay on blood tests.

They say I don’t have a copay; it’s totally covered. And I should have been given an option to pay AFTER they billed insurance. I was not.

Now on hold, with insurance lady, waiting for Quest to answer phone. I still hate Quest.

Just for fun and because I was still up for a fight, I called my insurance to see why I suddenly had a copay on blood tests.

They say I don’t have a copay; it’s totally covered. And I should have been given an option to pay AFTER they billed insurance. I was not.

Now on hold, with insurance lady, waiting for Quest to answer phone. I still hate Quest.
Next time, tell them you will wait til after the insurance is billed. LabCorp tries to pull that shit on me and hubby and we never paid.

Latest posts

Back