Ever hear of an “Internal Decapitation?”

Spiky Bugger

A less than normal member of our extended family has this. Usually, folks just die. He was out on a scooter picking up cans and bottles to support his drug habit and a car hit him.

He has been a decades-long pain in the ass, drug-addicted, irresponsible jerk, in and out of jail/prison. His dad (my late brother-in-law’s brother) died a few years ago. His mom has pretty much “disowned” him, but now…IF this was a hit and run, which I think it was…he will need lifetime care and his mom may have to pick up the tab. The REALLY HUGE tab.

Family! Can’t live with them; can’t run them through a wood chipper.

I'm so sorry and hope they find a way to mend the connection... That's a heartbreaking injury for anyone to endure.

holy crap, I am surprised he can be alive, how terrible! I assume he is in the hospital somewhere? what is the plan?

Some confusion, since my sister’s info is coming from his mom who is on yet another vacay in a faraway place. (In the past 15 months, she was at the NM balloon thing, on safari in Tanzania, teaching English in Dar es Salaam, off in Zanzibar, Mount Rushmore, snorkeling in the Indian Ocean and on and on.) But…he still needs surgery on his leg. He’s probably been doing drug withdrawal, but still needs pain relief. And we were told that he isn’t a candidate for a SNF. (An RN friend says that MIGHT mean he needs to be on 02. I didn’t think that was disqualifying.). He has zero financial resources. He’s been addicted to one drug after another for about 35 years. (He’s pushing 50.)

I’m not wishing him dead, but I would rather not “survive” in his condition. (In case any of you ends up with my Durable POA, I also want an “early out” if diagnosed with ALS.)

Sounds awful, to put it mildly. I'm unclear as to a couple things - first, if he isn't eligible for a SNF, where is he supposed to go? It doesn't sound like he could possibly be sent "home", even if home is with family. How could non-medical professionals care for him if professionals can't?
Also, given that he is an adult and not under any kind of guardianship, why would his mother or any other relative be financially responsible for his care? Of course I'm not an attorney, so what do I know. And if they aren't responsible, who is? Probably us taxpayers. But that still leaves the question of where does he go when he no longer qualifies for an acute care hospital.
Just a mess all around.

Sounds awful, to put it mildly. I'm unclear as to a couple things - first, if he isn't eligible for a SNF, where is he supposed to go? It doesn't sound like he could possibly be sent "home", even if home is with family. How could non-medical professionals care for him if professionals can't?
Also, given that he is an adult and not under any kind of guardianship, why would his mother or any other relative be financially responsible for his care? Of course I'm not an attorney, so what do I know. And if they aren't responsible, who is? Probably us taxpayers. But that still leaves the question of where does he go when he no longer qualifies for an acute care hospital.
Just a mess all around.
I think that when his mom is back in the area, she may acquire/share better details. If anyone can figure out WHO drove into him, that driver &/or that driver’s insurance may have a bill or two to pay. Until then, it’s us…you and I for sure because he’s in California. This guy’s parents (mistakenly) gave him chance after chance, until they figured out that he moved them into his Victims Column and started stealing from them and his sister. He’s nearing 50 and has been a mess since high school. His mom, 76, is enjoying her retirement and may not be inclined to give up the rest of her retirement for him.

Last edited:
Good point about the other driver. I had forgotten about them. Let's hope they had insurance. Of course that could mean other people's insurance rates go up, but still better than taxpayers IMHO.
And as far as his mother goes, I would support her decision to continue her retirement. Parents' obligations to their children don't cover everything their adult children do (or have happen to them, as may be the case here).

his mom who is on yet another vacay in a faraway place. (In the past 15 months, she was at the NM balloon thing, on safari in Tanzania, teaching English in Dar es Salaam, off in Zanzibar, Mount Rushmore, snorkeling in the Indian Ocean

WOW!

I would rather not “survive” in his condition. (In case any of you ends up with my Durable POA, I also want an “early out” if diagnosed with ALS.)

I need to make a list of things I want an "early out" with - put ALS on it but also
scleroderma

knowledge is power!

Sounds awful, to put it mildly. I'm unclear as to a couple things - first, if he isn't eligible for a SNF, where is he supposed to go?

I don't understand why he can't be in a SNF unless there just ISN'T one with a bed that takes Medicaid. that's very likely, IME

need for O2 is never disqualifying for SNF that I have heard of

And as far as his mother goes, I would support her decision to continue her retirement. Parents' obligations to their children don't cover everything their adult children do (or have happen to them, as may be the case here).

totally agree with this!

Latest posts

Back