Anyone with recent Boston dining experience?

hilary1617

First time at the rodeo.
Hi - I'm struggling trying to plan a Celebration of Life brunch/luncheon for my Dad in Boston from 1,000 miles away when I haven't been back there in a few years. Is anyone familiar with the current restaurant / hotel scene?

I wish I could help, but I can suggest posting your question at citydata. it's a big forum with a lot of old farts but I have been using it for years before relocating because you can find locals and often get specific questions like this answered. just don't look at the political threads!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/boston/

Hi - I'm struggling trying to plan a Celebration of Life brunch/luncheon for my Dad in Boston from 1,000 miles away when I haven't been back there in a few years. Is anyone familiar with the current restaurant / hotel scene?
It’s been too long since our last visit.

But…to make the task easier, maybe narrow down the choices? Did he always/never choose Italian or Seafood? Was he locked into the history of it all…so Faneuil Hall Area? Most importantly, start with how large a group you suppose will attend. THAT ALONE might cause you to have a very short list.

And, where would HE have liked to go? Imagine my surprise when my mother got all giggly when we took her to the USS Constitution! It seems that when she was in elementary school, she was one of children from all over the country who contributed their pennies to the Old Ironsides restoration project. She would have liked to be close to that site.

Good luck!

It’s been too long since our last visit.

But…to make the task easier, maybe narrow down the choices? Did he always/never choose Italian or Seafood? Was he locked into the history of it all…so Faneuil Hall Area? Most importantly, start with how large a group you suppose will attend. THAT ALONE might cause you to have a very short list.

And, where would HE have liked to go? Imagine my surprise when my mother got all giggly when we took her to the USS Constitution! It seems that when she was in elementary school, she was one of children from all over the country who contributed their pennies to the Old Ironsides restoration project. She would have liked to be close to that site.

Good luck!
One of the hardest things is not knowing how many will attend. I can't gauge it well as he was 91, so many of his friends and colleagues have passed and the generational mix is a little strange so not sure if my cousins will bring their children or not. For RFPs, I'm guessing 50-60.

Dad spent most of his career a law professor, but prior to that worked at a large law firm and served as assistant state's attorney. During those days, he resided and spent a lot of time on Beacon Hill. So I've looked at places in that area. Mom and he married at the Harvard Club. So, looking in Cambridge as well. He was a sailor, so looking at places on the waterfront also. That said, the last Celebration of Life of a family member in Boston proper was at Legal Seafood Harborside. I don't want to play copycat, plus I don't eat seafood, so that's out. Also, my sister and family are vegan. My two closest cousins wives' are from Italian families, so a bit nervous to go with Italian food unless it is really fantastic. My mom uses a walker, I have an aunt in a wheelchair, my son is unwell and has mobility challenges, so accessibility matters. Parking probably would be nice.

I've tried and there is no availability for the needed dates at the university or Boston Public Library tea room, which were my top picks of where he would have wanted to go. His favorite restaurants are out of business...

It's just hard to figure out.

Last edited:
Also, my sister and family are vegan. My two closest cousins wives' are from Italian families, so a bit nervous to go with Italian food unless it is really fantastic. My mom uses a walker, I have an aunt in a wheelchair, my son is unwell and has mobility challenges, so accessibility matters.
wow, complicated.

but I have faith you will figure it out!

One of the hardest things is not knowing how many will attend. I can't gauge it well as he was 91, so many of his friends and colleagues have passed and the generational mix is a little strange so not sure if my cousins will bring their children or now. For RFPs, I'm guessing 50-60.

Dad spent most of his career a law professor, but prior to that worked at a large law firm and served as assistant state's attorney. During those days, he resided and spent a lot of time on Beacon Hill. So I've looked at places in that area. Mom and he married at the Harvard Club. So, looking in Cambridge as well. He was a sailor, so looking at places on the waterfront also. That said, the Last Celebration of Life of a family member in Boston proper was at Legal Seafood Harborside. I don't want to play copycat, plus I don't eat seafood, so that's out. Also, my sister and family are vegan. My two closest cousins wives' are from Italian families, so a bit nervous to go with Italian food unless it is really fantastic. My mom uses a walker, I have an aunt in a wheelchair, my son is unwell and has mobility challenges, so accessibility matters. Parking probably would be nice.

I've tried and there is no availability for the needed dates at the university or Boston Public Library tea room, which were my top picks of where he would have wanted to go. His favorite restaurants are out of business...

It's just hard to figure out.

Favorites are nice, but we ended up at a Golf Course…

No recent experience... I'm north shore these days

But, sounds like you need a function room. I'd contact the university your father worked at. They generally have swanky areas where they wine and dine alumni donors en masse. These might be available to retired staff.

You aren’t gonna please everyone. Please your parents and let your sister and her family figure out their options. Most restaurants offer some vegan these days.

According to the 1940 Census, my late father-in-law lived 1.1 miles from there. I thought my husband was from that area because he said stuff like “a dollar and a quattah.” I guess I know what he and his father discussed.

And my father’s best Army buddy lived four miles away. A brilliant man, returned to Japan after WWII, taught at a couple of college/universities until his death, was my growing-up pen pal and confessed that his Boston upbringing caused him to view our somewhat tropical SoCal environment as the cause of our SoCal sinful ways!

Anyway, I feel connected. So it was a good choice.

According to the 1940 Census, my late father-in-law lived 1.1 miles from there. I thought my husband was from that area because he said stuff like “a dollar and a quattah.” I guess I know what he and his father discussed.

And my father’s best Army buddy lived four miles away. A brilliant man, returned to Japan after WWII, taught at a couple of college/universities until his death, was my growing-up pen pal and confessed that his Boston upbringing caused him to view our somewhat tropical SoCal environment as the cause of our SoCal sinful ways!

Anyway, I feel connected. So it was a good choice.
It's a diverse and vibrant area with fun energy! Interesting connections! I'm glad you approve. My dad would have said it was a great idearrr! ;)

My mom lived in that neighborhood for seven years - and it's where my parents met, fell in love and got married - so she will enjoy being able to spend time there again. I'm looking forward to accompanying her on some nostalgic walks. Also, while we probably won't have time for any official college tours, I'm hoping Hannah will be able to get a feel for whether the east coast urban university scene appeals to her - as she's a rising HS junior now.

Latest posts

Back