Researching and coming up with more questions

1. I just posted this: https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/the-last-little-while-has-been-busy.6671/page-2#post-99724
  2. Every surgery has risks. You can mitigate that by being as healthy as possible before surgery and by choosing your surgeon carefully.
  3. Nursing home situation. Yeah, that’s an issue but it can be handled. It might take being very proactive or having someone to be proactive on your behalf.
  4. Start with the Vitalady list and then after you get post op labs, adjust as needed. Easier to correct too much than bringing lousy values out of the toilet.
  5. People come and go. We have lost a few members, 3 I believe, since we opened the doors here in Jan 2014. Two had heart attacks totally unrelated to the DS, and one we don’t know exact cause but from what I heard it wasn’t DS related directly. We’ve almost lost Charris three times now. She keeps scaring us.

The first 2 times was attributed to the DS. This last time it was other issues that got me to malnutrition. A sever Uti which got me septic. Ulcerative colitis, pneumonia, and cdiff.

Honestly, having been through what I have been if I had to choose tomorrow to have the DS or not I definitely would jump on the table. Like Munchkin stated about her friend having had it I got some more good time I might not have made it to without.

The first 2 times was attributed to the DS. This last time it was other issues that got me to malnutrition. A sever Uti which got me septic. Ulcerative colitis, pneumonia, and cdiff.

Honestly, having been through what I have been if I had to choose tomorrow to have the DS or not I definitely would jump on the table. Like Munchkin stated about her friend having had it I got some more good time I might not have made it to without.

Well it sounds like you’re a fighter, glad to see you’re on the mend.

#3 My mom has spent a lot of time in rehab because she has congestive heart failure, enlarged heart, diastolic heart failure and pulmonary hypertension and then caught pneumonia. The rehab gave her some vitamins of their own accord. She also had health condition induced dementia and that also played a factor. Had she not been obese and with high blood pressure for so long she would have never been in rehab in the first place. She's resilient though. Maybe if she had the DS she wouldn't be in this situation or maybe she still would. But she has advanced directives for end of life care and I would guess you could put your nutritional needs in it too in case you are mentally incapacitated and give it to your doctors. But I am not a lawyer.

#2 I would ignore that whole conversation since they were so vague and it seemed like their goal was just to scare you.

#5 they're out there having a good time and eating butter and rich foods to be posting around here. Personal message notifications can easily end up in the spam folder too. I am looking forward to the day where I am enjoying crispy pork belly and not worrying about my weight and I'm just living!

Well it sounds like you’re a fighter, glad to see you’re on the mend.

I am but for the most part the people on this board have kept me alive. When I get sick they set the Clarissa cant make the DS look bad movement into motion. Lol from everything like harassing nursing homes. Calling does. Sending care packages and much much more.

Be grateful and thankful you were lucky enough to connect with this well educated board. I know I am!

So call me crazy but I'm not nearly as worried about a care home as I am about prison lol. I haven't gotten so much as a speeding ticket, but the thought of prison with a DS terrifies me!!!!

As far as the dream goes, you never know, but it depends on how much you want what you want.

I knew something was going to go wrong with my DS. In fact, I thought it would kill me. Everyone told me I would be fine. I wasn't lol but I also didn't die :)

And as for DSers falling off the map...I'm one of those. Life took hold...not fun stuff, just life! After my second hip replacement Oct 2017, we were working on Mikes job offer, getting his immigration visa, selling a house etc...stupid adult, pain in the ass stuff lol. I lived on FB and South Park to soothe the stress. In all honestly, I had kinda forgotten the value of a non-FB forum until I realised I needed to hear opinions from educated, level headed people and not Dr GoogleDSers on every dang group out there.

I'm pretty sure you will be ok. Bad things don't usually happen. As you will get to know me more, you'll figure out that I'm mystery medical issue prone lol.

So call me crazy but I'm not nearly as worried about a care home as I am about prison lol. I haven't gotten so much as a speeding ticket, but the thought of prison with a DS terrifies me!!!!

As far as the dream goes, you never know, but it depends on how much you want what you want.

I knew something was going to go wrong with my DS. In fact, I thought it would kill me. Everyone told me I would be fine. I wasn't lol but I also didn't die :)

And as for DSers falling off the map...I'm one of those. Life took hold...not fun stuff, just life! After my second hip replacement Oct 2017, we were working on Mikes job offer, getting his immigration visa, selling a house etc...stupid adult, pain in the ass stuff lol. I lived on FB and South Park to soothe the stress. In all honestly, I had kinda forgotten the value of a non-FB forum until I realised I needed to hear opinions from educated, level headed people and not Dr GoogleDSers on every dang group out there.

I'm pretty sure you will be ok. Bad things don't usually happen. As you will get to know me more, you'll figure out that I'm mystery medical issue prone lol.
There was DSer in prison a few years back on that OTHER forum. I believe it was 5 years in the federal pen for tax evasion. She had a few deficiencies but nothing scary and went on to get herself all fixed up when she got out.

Prison worries me as well. Jesse Jackson Jr hsd DS and went to prison. But he's kinda famous and rich so they probably got him EVERYTHING HE NEEDED.

There was DSer in prison a few years back on that OTHER forum. I believe it was 5 years in the federal pen for tax evasion. She had a few deficiencies but nothing scary and went on to get herself all fixed up when she got out.

That's good that she's ok.

But let me telllllll you lol. If I go down, it's not going to be for some posh ass crime like tax evasion...no. Like I tell the Walmart people who have to unlock the stupid shit because people steal it 'If I'm going down, it's gunna be for robbing a bank, not stealing a $9 blowdryer". Go hard or go home lol. Now, I'm not the type to go do something like that, but I'm just saying....IF I did....it wouldn't be for some pansy ass crime lol...and that would mean 20 to life for me. ;) But I'm a good girl, so I don't have deep concerns...but the thought has crossed my mind about surviving in an orange jumpsuit.

Maybe not exactly a prison equivalent exactly, but Just want to say I had cancer surgery 6 months after DS where I lost half my pancreas and good portion of liver (which regrew, but is still angry). If I had that cancer surgery first, as distal pancreatectomy comes with its own nutritional challenges, I'm SURE no doctor would have agreed to do a DS on me. It was kind of a worst case scenario from a nutritional capability prospect.

That said, it's still very manageable. I just have to be diligent with testing and act accordingly / behave responsibly.

Latest posts

Back