And even MORE?

Spiky Bugger

I’ve spent the past few days apparently passing a kidney stone or two or four…who knows…lotsa blood. Not so much pain

And Monday, I fell going down steps, no BIG damage. But Friday, I fell trying to get into a bed in “the spare bedroom,” (loaded with STUFF because other rooms are being painted) and I FRACTURED MY HUMERUS. My dominant side humerus.

Urgent Care says I need to get to my Ortho guy right away, “in case surgery is needed.”

Never a history of falling, then twice in one week.

Glad I have good insurance. And drugs.

I have more to say, but it hurts to type.

BTW, in his latest books, Sanjay Gupta, advises us to practice using our non-dominant hands to do routine stuff. Like signing our name and putting on lipstick, to form new neuropathways in case we have a stroke. Tell ya what…bras and toilet paper skills should be mastered before breaking a humerus.

Oh Spiky Bugger ! Wishing you a rapid and non-surgical recovery.
As an adult, I've often been grateful that I broke my right, dominant arm as a child and had to learn how to manage left handed. Did it the night before the school year started, too. I wrote left handed for 2 months and can still do it, albeit poorly. I really should brush up on my lefty skills, just in case.

And Monday, I fell going down steps, no BIG damage. But Friday, I fell trying to get into a bed in “the spare bedroom,” (loaded with STUFF because other rooms are being painted) and I FRACTURED MY HUMERUS. My dominant side humerus.

Urgent Care says I need to get to my Ortho guy right away, “in case surgery is needed.”

Never a history of falling, then twice in one week.

Glad I have good insurance. And drugs.

I have more to say, but it hurts to type.
oh, shit, I'm sorry Sue that's awful. all of it, the kidney stone, the falling, the fracture, the existential angst, since that tends to show up with everything else.

:5grouphug:

Tell ya what…bras and toilet paper skills should be mastered before breaking a humerus.

yep. how are you getting by, are you getting help?

I’m getting by poorly.

My hero is having his own challenges, especially with “executive skills.” He has trouble figuring out “FIRST A, THEN B, THEN C” for what HE is going to do. He’s CLUELESS as to what I’m going to need next.

I read that the VA can provide short-term home care, but I think they need more notice in advance. I just don’t want to end up in something like this lady has. (My xray doesn’t look very scary.)

Last edited:
GOOD NEWS on the ortho front …the OPPOSITE of what I was warned about and feared!

Doctor says it’s a rather rare situation…a neat little fracture, nothing mashed up. Splint not necessary, probably a cause of some of the pain. Sling can be used to provide support, but not needed 24/7. Better to stretch the arm a little.

See you in three weeks!

have you asked? pretend it's for somebody else and needs doing - how can you make it happen? can Minnie-Sue help? can we help? I don't know how but please, get some help.

two falls in a row is so worrisome. :confused:

I have a call in to the VA social worker, who has exhaustive lists of resources…some maybe I can use. But for sure, w/out the “don’t-get-this wet“ kind of splint, showers/shampoos will be far easier.

So don’t worry about helping, beyond giving me a place to whine and good tips/suggestions.

And the falls ARE worrisome to me! My excuses are rather weak. I imagine I will just pay attention and see if it happens again when furniture is where it belongs and when I‘m not wearing “slick” socks on a recently rain-washed concrete porch.

And the falls ARE worrisome to me! My excuses are rather weak. I imagine I will just pay attention and see if it happens again when furniture is where it belongs and when I‘m not wearing “slick” socks on a recently rain-washed concrete porch.
You need the socks they give you in the hospital, the ones with bumps on the bottom to make them not slick. I’ve seen ads on FB for them but I’ve managed to save some from all my hospital stays. Figure Im paying for them, why not keep them.

slick socks are the worst! if you don't have something better, go barefoot. but you can buy those tread socks Liz is talking about anywhere, you don't have to go to the hospital to get some.

I have a call in to the VA social worker, who has exhaustive lists of resources…some maybe I can use.
OK, remember the goal is not to be as independant as possible but as safe and healthy as possible.

and maybe the attitude could be, you served your country well and now deserve some assistance.

Latest posts

Back