(Really Long) My hobby: Collecting Diagnoses

Spiky Bugger

And ignoring symptoms.

A year ago Monday, I fell, broke my humerus and tore my rotator cuff. (I don’t know if that fall impacted my spine.) The pain was really…well…painful. And all other pains had to get in line to let me know there was a problem. Over time, the pain reduced SOMEWHAT, but until I got the steroid injection a few weeks ago, it was still a mostly unusable arm. I couldn’t raise it to shoulder level. And I was mostly in pain or loaded or both. And whining that my feet were cold.

Then, the steroid shot, from the cutie-patootie doctor who looks like he’s 14. Arm works so much better. Arm hurts so much less.

So, with THAT pain dismissing, I had a chance to notice that my feet weren’t just cold. Sometimes they were hot. And my calves were feeling weird. And my feet felt like there were calluses on the soles. (See? I do have a sole.) Podiatrist trimmed nails. I got a full-service pedicure.

And then I remembered my mom’s jackass PCP:
Mom: I can’t feel anything on my left leg, from the knee down.
PCP: Peripheral Neuropathy due to Diabetes. Nothing we can do about that.
Me: Okay. We’d like a second opinion.
PCP: You don’t need a second opinion. I can diagnose Peripheral Neuropathy.
Me: Indeed you can. How does she appeal your denial of a referral to a second opinion doctor?
PCP: HERE! But you’re wasting everyone’s time.
Later…
Neurologist: You see…peripheral neuropathy is generally bilateral. We seldom see it only on one side. I’ll refer you to the Interventional Radiologist.
Later…
Interventional Radiologist: The procedure, a kyphoplasty, went well. She should regain feeling soon.

A few minutes later, I grabbed her left foot as she was being moved to recovery:
Mom: HEY! What are you doing?

So…I have now diagnosed ME with peripheral (hum…BILATERAL) peripheral neuropathy. I’ll see my ortho on Wednesday, ask for a new MRI of the spine and what he thinks about my self-diagnosis.

I REALLY hope it’s something that can be helped with kyphoplasty, because I am not going to take drugs that need the pt to take calcium, etc and I know three IRL people who had spinal surgery and a year or so later had to fix what the surgery broke.

So I hope I can fix my issues with goo-filled balloons!

AND IF YOU’ve read this far, get your DexaScans, take calcium as determined by blood tests.

I’ve had peripheral neuropathy officially since 1999. But looking back, I had symptoms much longer since about 1985, predating my diabetes diagnosis. Mine got lumped into diabetic PN. I spent the next 20 plus years (1997 to 2011) keeping my blood sugars pretty under control. PN apparently can be reversed some. By the time I got my DS, my feet didn’t hurt me.

Now, the PN is back but this time feels completely different. Instead of the pins and needles feeling, I feel like I have a blanket wrapped around them and someone is pulling it tighter. Now they no longer have mine in the diabetic crowd, I’m in the spinal crowd. That’s causing my PN now. My first spinal fusion was 2006, second one 2013. The neurosurgeon I’m seeing now is going to do a Spinal Cord Stimulator to avoid a third surgery.

But to fix my feet, I have to fix my spine. Mine is too damaged for the kyphoplasty.

I feel for you. PN is a horrible feeling disease. And if not dealt with, can cause major issues. Good luck.

I’ve had peripheral neuropathy officially since 1999. But looking back, I had symptoms much longer since about 1985, predating my diabetes diagnosis. Mine got lumped into diabetic PN. I spent the next 20 plus years (1997 to 2011) keeping my blood sugars pretty under control. PN apparently can be reversed some. By the time I got my DS, my feet didn’t hurt me.

Now, the PN is back but this time feels completely different. Instead of the pins and needles feeling, I feel like I have a blanket wrapped around them and someone is pulling it tighter. Now they no longer have mine in the diabetic crowd, I’m in the spinal crowd. That’s causing my PN now. My first spinal fusion was 2006, second one 2013. The neurosurgeon I’m seeing now is going to do a Spinal Cord Stimulator to avoid a third surgery.

But to fix my feet, I have to fix my spine. Mine is too damaged for the kyphoplasty.

I feel for you. PN is a horrible feeling disease. And if not dealt with, can cause major issues. Good luck.
Wow! I had no idea you’ve been dealing with this as well. I wonder if my spine can handle kyphoplasty. I’ve been operating under the assumption (?) that my spine couldn’t handle the hardware needed for the spinal surgery.

Old age brings SUCH new experiences!

Wow! I had no idea you’ve been dealing with this as well. I wonder if my spine can handle kyphoplasty. I’ve been operating under the assumption (?) that my spine couldn’t handle the hardware needed for the spinal surgery.

Old age brings SUCH new experiences!
All you can do is ask a good spine surgeon. Mine is a neurosurgeon but I had an orthopedic spine surgeon before. Not much difference if both are a “vetted” spine surgeon. I tend to prefer neurosurgeons but that’s my personal preference.

Latest posts

Back