Which doc to go to?

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
Hey guys, sooo I'm posting this for my sister who had VSG. She's been feeling funky and not sure if she should go to see her surgeon, PCP or gastroenterologist.

She's been getting stomach pains, like cramping, accompanied with nausea and diarrhea (I should also add that she's a hypochondriac and has a vomiting phobia) and she called me this morning in hysterics because she woke up from the stomach pains and spent the morning in the bathroom. She calmed down while we were on the phone (I'm good at "talking her down" when she panics) and then was totally fine the rest of the day. At first I thought she had a stomach bug or mild food poisoning, but then she told me that this happened 3-4 times in the past week, just not as severe. She web MDed and thinks it could be her gall bladder, or maybe dumping syndrome. So which doc should she go get checked out by?

anxiety makes everything worse. :(

I hope she finds out what it is and can get it fixed easily.

Update- she went to the PCP on Monday, he said he didn't think it was her gallbladder or appendix since she didn't show signs of discomfort during the abdominal exam. He referred her for an abdominal X-ray to be sure and thinks it's an imbalance in gut flora and wants her to start on a probiotic. Sound kosher to you guys?

A probiotic couldn't hurt, but if her pain persists an ultrasound of her gallbladder might be a good idea. It doesn't sound like it's her appendix.

Latest posts

Back