I’m whining now Updated 10/4

Ok, the other day, I ordered an unflavored protein powder by Isopure from Amazon. Came today. Added about 1/2 scoop to my pudding. Wasn’t a bad taste at all. So if I keep adding to every food I can, it will help. Yes, I have a candy thermometer to check broth temp before adding the protein.

Every Jew has the best recipe, and they’re all different. This is mine:

First, decide whether you want to eat the boiled meat, or feed it to your pets:
• if you will just throw it out, buy the cheapest parts possible - backs, necks, wings
• if you want to eat the meat, either buy a cheap whole chicken, or buy legs and thighs
• if you you plan to feed to your pets, buy the eating parts, but don’t cook the meat with any spices - boil the meat first, remove, and then boil more with the spices/veggies.

Clean and boil the chicken parts (if you are boiling backs or a whole chicken, make sure you remove any kidney that’s still on them - it tastes bitter). Boil until the meat is falling off the bone.

Spices:
  • celery, especially the leafy tops (leave whole because you’re going to toss out)
  • raw or dried onion
  • garlic - as much as looks reasonable, then double it
  • celery salt if you have it
  • dill - fresh or dried
  • salt - coarse or sea salt
  • pepper
  • bay leaves
  • you can add carrots too, but I like to eat the carrots so I add later
Again, if pets are going to eat the meat, don’t add the spices until AFTER you boil and remove the meat. Onion and garlic are toxic to dogs and cats, and they don’t need the salt.

When the soup is ready and seasoned to taste, remove the meat and bones and set aside to cool and then separate, pour the soup through a colander to remove most of the veggies and shreds of meat, skin, and bone, and decide whether you want to remove (and save!) the chicken fat or leave it in the soup. If you want to remove it, chill the broth and scrape the hardened fat off the top and reserve to flavor other foods.

Now you have a clarified broth - drink as is, or is it as a base for other variants.

Personally, I like baby carrots in my chicken soup, so no matter what, they go in at this point. And matzo balls made separately added after the carrots are boiled.

You can also add rice, noodles, put back some of the chicken, finely chopped, or make split pea, bean or any other kind of soup that uses a chicken broth base.

OK - now my mouth is watering. I’m going to rummage in the freezer - I think I’ve got some freezer-burned chicken and celery tops to cook.
Made this today, in fact still cooking.

I used about 1/3 chicken back in it. The rest of the chicken and some rice are now food for the dogs. We have one that has a tummy upset and got put on a bland diet. So I shared the chicken with them. They get chicken, rice, a bit of dog broth, and a teaspoon of pumpkin (which is good for a dog’s upset system. I get the good stuff.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back