I’m whining now Updated 10/4

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
About a week ago now, my gums got mildly painful and the lymph nodes under my jaw got into the act.

Saw my PCP Fri afternoon. I got the flu shot that morning but this other was already: brewing so it wasn’t the flu shot.

Anyway, when I saw her my temp was 98.2 (not bad but enough where I felt feverish and I told her that). She prescribed a ZPack. I went to pick it up and the pharmacist I saw also had been the one to give me the shot. She told me that the antibiotic may futz up the flu shot. So I waited til Sun morning to start it.

In the meantime, I developed a fever of 100. Now preCovid everyone would have said it was the lymph node infection but now, Covid is the first thing that comes to mind.

But my fever went down to 97. Sunday, I started off low but by noon it was 101. So we went in search of a testing center. The rapid said negative. They also sent a sample for the PCR test. That should be back today.

I’m to the whining point. I’m tired of my jaw and mouth hurting. It didn’t hurt this bad after my jaw surgery.

But food has been an issue. Even eating yogurt hurts. Cold is NOT friendly. I ate the cheese off a slice of deluxe pizza (Charles ate the rest of the toppings.

My best friends are hot tea and broth. I’m gonna make a tuna noodle casserole for me to work on for a few days. At least that’s some protein. And I had a poached egg (diy style) which was great. Shrimp is soft enough but too chilly for comfort.

I wish I had someone who could make me homemade chicken soup.

Editing to add, I’ve also dropped 2 lbs since Sunday which can stop right where it is now. My jeans are getting baggy.

Got my PCR results, I’m negative!

Last edited:
Sorry you are sick but glad it is not COVID. Have Charles make you the soup! Feel better!
I just hate that having a fever means people jump to that conclusion. Wouldn’t have happened back in 2019 but those days are over.

Charles can’t boil water even in the microwave. Him make soup? He’s not capable.

So sorry you are going through this! Is there a restaurant near by that would sell you (or Charles) a container of chicken soup to go? A big container?? Not quite home made, but still might feel good.

So sorry you are going through this! Is there a restaurant near by that would sell you (or Charles) a container of chicken soup to go? A big container?? Not quite home made, but still might feel good.
The closest Chinese restaurant is a good 20 miles away. Right now I’m working on a container of Professor Chich soup. The chicken is hard but the broth tastes good.
Chinese restaurant, egg drop soup = chicken soup with extra easy to ingest protein.
As I just mentioned to Larra, none close. Big on Italian and Polish but not Chinese.

I may have to make my own. It’s the seasoning that has me stumped. When we visited Maine in 2014, thinking we would move there, we stayed at a hotel that kept a pot of Chicken and Rice soup, it was so good. I found I could actually gain weight on soup, lol.

Every Jew has the best recipe, and they’re all different. This is mine:

First, decide whether you want to eat the boiled meat, or feed it to your pets:
• if you will just throw it out, buy the cheapest parts possible - backs, necks, wings
• if you want to eat the meat, either buy a cheap whole chicken, or buy legs and thighs
• if you you plan to feed to your pets, buy the eating parts, but don’t cook the meat with any spices - boil the meat first, remove, and then boil more with the spices/veggies.

Clean and boil the chicken parts (if you are boiling backs or a whole chicken, make sure you remove any kidney that’s still on them - it tastes bitter). Boil until the meat is falling off the bone.

Spices:
  • celery, especially the leafy tops (leave whole because you’re going to toss out)
  • raw or dried onion
  • garlic - as much as looks reasonable, then double it
  • celery salt if you have it
  • dill - fresh or dried
  • salt - coarse or sea salt
  • pepper
  • bay leaves
  • you can add carrots too, but I like to eat the carrots so I add later
Again, if pets are going to eat the meat, don’t add the spices until AFTER you boil and remove the meat. Onion and garlic are toxic to dogs and cats, and they don’t need the salt.

When the soup is ready and seasoned to taste, remove the meat and bones and set aside to cool and then separate, pour the soup through a colander to remove most of the veggies and shreds of meat, skin, and bone, and decide whether you want to remove (and save!) the chicken fat or leave it in the soup. If you want to remove it, chill the broth and scrape the hardened fat off the top and reserve to flavor other foods.

Now you have a clarified broth - drink as is, or is it as a base for other variants.

Personally, I like baby carrots in my chicken soup, so no matter what, they go in at this point. And matzo balls made separately added after the carrots are boiled.

You can also add rice, noodles, put back some of the chicken, finely chopped, or make split pea, bean or any other kind of soup that uses a chicken broth base.

OK - now my mouth is watering. I’m going to rummage in the freezer - I think I’ve got some freezer-burned chicken and celery tops to cook.

Last edited:
I’m so glad it isn’t Covid, but wished you weren’t hurting. I remember living on Orajel liquid once when I had the flu & it attacked my teeth and gums. Perhaps it would help.

Feel better, Liz. Kind of ironic before weight loss surgery every illness was due to the excess weight now post pandemic every fever, cold, case of the sniffles, allergy symptoms and the assumption is that you have COVID.

How are you feeling, Liz?
I want to be Data so I can take my head off while it heals. I see the dentist today and normally that’s a good visit but I dread the pain I know he’ll unintentionally inflict.

I’m still have trouble with food, hell, even soft noodles hurt. Tried tuna, it hurt. I’ve only been successful with poached eggs.

So yeah, not great.
Liz

Sounds horrible, Liz. I’ve gotten confused, had it been determined a dental infection/issue or is dental apt today to try to figure things out? I hope you get some answers and help!

Latest posts

Back